Author Topic: OP (options plug) connector confusion,lets resolve it.  (Read 138792 times)

Offline O8ride

• CB500X Member
  • On life's long journey
  • Bike: Honda CB500X
Re: OP (options plug) connector confusion,lets resolve it.
Reply #40 on: July 07, 2015, 07:46:09 PM
*Originally Posted by Defender [+]
More confusion, as far as I recall, the wire that is switched by the ignition, and fused at 7.5 amps is violet/red, on UK and US OP plugs. Please tell me I didn't dream this.

In respect of the underseat 5-point OP, my videos showed clearly the way that the 2014 CB500X model has been wired. I don't remember seeing a two-tone violet/red wire, nor a single-tone red or violet wire. The red and white two-tone wire was unswitched, and it blew my first bulb without the bike being on, and showed my second bulb to be on while the bike was off.

My video showed clearly the working of each of the 4 various live wires

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God-zilla
  • Topic Author
Reply #41 on: July 07, 2015, 10:54:37 PM
My service manual doesn't have the wiring diagram for the under seat six pin options plug.It just shows the Violet/Red wire as power,green as ground,and blue on the front plug being on the low beam side of the headlight.When I put my bike back together,I will check the voltage on that wire, and see what the deal is.Both options plugs are protected by a single 7.5 amp fuse in the under seat fuse block.

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God-zilla
  • Topic Author
Reply #42 on: July 07, 2015, 10:57:18 PM
*Originally Posted by O8ride [+]
Brilliant EscCtrl, I knew there must be a better way of getting into the OP itself, and now we know.

My underseat OP has 5 connections, not two, and I've not bothered trying to get to the front cowl OP. What I don't know for the two-connector underseat is whether it is switched or not.

For the 5-connection:

Green = negative
Red/White = unswitched 12V (ie always on), no different from plugging straight to your battery
Purple = switched linked to the headlights or tail-lights (and therefore always on while the bike is switched on). But some other forums suggesting this is a low load and therefore may not be suitable for gadget power.
Other two - switched, linked to indicators, and so only come on when indicators are on

You got it.Thanks for the wire color labels.I hope this helps our riders with the 6 pin op.I know only 5 pins are used on most that I talk to.

I plan to "POWER ON" a separate fuse block with my OP under the seat.This should help others do add ons, keep everything on the fuse block, and off the bike's wiring.Also,the fuse block will only power on with the bike,using a 30 amp relay.

This is the fuse block I will use. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QMTAZ1W/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00QMTAZ1W&linkCode=as2&tag=manicycl-20&linkId=GKLL7DKC4UFYDDBV
Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 11:04:42 PM by EscCtrl

Offline Defender

• CB500X God-zilla
  • Bike: Yamaha YBR
Reply #43 on: July 08, 2015, 12:30:05 AM
Am still convinced switched live is Violet/red on UK OP plug. I posted as much in November 2013 after checking it out with a multimeter. I was not alone in this opinion either. Could somebody else in UK check out the colours carefully please just to verify. At the time I stated, red/grey unswitched +ve, violet/red, switched+ve and green -ve or ground.
If I can help somebody as I go along, then my living has not been in vain.

Offline O8ride

• CB500X Member
  • On life's long journey
Reply #44 on: July 08, 2015, 11:05:04 AM
*Originally Posted by Defender [+]
Am still convinced switched live is Violet/red on UK OP plug. I posted as much in November 2013 after checking it out with a multimeter. I was not alone in this opinion either. Could somebody else in UK check out the colours carefully please just to verify. At the time I stated, red/grey unswitched +ve, violet/red, switched+ve and green -ve or ground.

I think there are possibly a few options. You may be referring to the front OP while I am referring to the under seat one. Or Honda has changed things around. Or my bike has been set up incorrectly. Or I'm colour blind.

Maybe you could take off your seat and verify the eadily accessible underseat OP wires on your bike?

Offline Defender

• CB500X God-zilla
Reply #45 on: July 08, 2015, 11:43:35 AM
It's not anyone else's declining faculties I'm querying, but my own, and I'm trying to establish whether the wire colours have changed. I have advised many times in the past on using the OP plug, but no-one has come back to me to say "silly old sod, you've got the colour wrong". Would that I could look under the seat, but for reasons which are common knowledge on the forum, I no am no longer able to ride an X, and sadly, have parted with mine. I am merely trying to verify that any info I provide is correct and up to date, not casting doubt on anyone's ability or integrity.
I am referring to both OP plugs as they are fed from the same 7.5 amp fuse in the switched +ve. The fuse is in the fuse box underseat and is marked OP. I don't know if you have used the search to find the many posts on this subject in the past, but all of this has been covered previously.However, updates are always useful.

Offline O8ride

• CB500X Member
  • On life's long journey
Reply #46 on: July 08, 2015, 11:56:36 AM
Sorry to hear that Defender I wasn't aware. My videos show clearly what is on the underseat Connection in my bike and how each works. No two tone red violet wire at all

Offline Defender

• CB500X God-zilla
Reply #47 on: July 08, 2015, 01:05:19 PM
08ride, thanks for your sentiments, nothing for you to regret,and I'm still on 2 wheels albeit on a Yam YBR125.
The wire colour mystery may never be solved,but just out of curiosity, have you tried removing the fuse marked OP, and seeing if it affects your switched live. Good luck with your trials, but perhaps take care resting a live circuit on the fuel tank.
Ride safe

Offline O8ride

• CB500X Member
  • On life's long journey
Reply #48 on: July 08, 2015, 06:55:37 PM
Defender - you are right. The wire I refer to as purple is two tone. Was previously unable to see it properly in the gloom of my garage until I took a picture with flash. It is the switched wire, but not totally convinced I know exactly what it is powering - some other forums say it powers the bulb for the number plate and may be such low current that it is not appropriate to attach USB.

Offline Defender

• CB500X God-zilla
Reply #49 on: July 08, 2015, 08:15:27 PM
08ride, many thanks for the info, probably saved me from the nursing home for another few years.
On the wiring diagram the Violet/red is marked as OP( for options) and is fed from the underseat fuse box, protected by a 7.5 amp fuse.Of that there is no doubt, prove it for yourself by removing the fuse. It is provided to power optional equipment to a total of 90watts. It could be used to switch more via a relay. I doubt if you intend to exceed that current via your USB connector.
Enjoy your X.