Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: OP (options plug) connector confusion,lets resolve it.  (Read 95949 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline EscCtrl

  • CB500X God
  • *****
  • Posts: 3130
  • Country: us
  • Wrecked Wrench Motorcyclist
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500XT
  • City / Town: Upstate, SC USA
Re: OP (options plug) connector confusion,lets resolve it.
« Reply #260 on: March 03, 2019, 02:25:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by 2Bpencil [+]
Has anyone managed to unplug the front OP without removing the fairing panels?

I can reach down and access the sleeve + plug, but getting it to unclip + pull out has been beyond me.

There's probably a 'cunning plan' that will work? It would save a lot of dismantling + reassembly, esp with crash bars fitted.


The wiring is attached to the fairing stay to prevent the wiring from moving. As big of a pain as it is to get to, the wiring is well supported and protected from possible damage.
Artist also known as ben2go.
Current bikes
Six=Suzuki GS500,'00 V Star Classic,'14 CB500X farkled out nicely.
I rescue neglected and battered motorcycles.

Offline liberator

  • CB500X Member
  • **
  • Posts: 11
  • Country: au
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500Xa
  • City / Town: Kyabram
Re: OP (options plug) connector confusion,lets resolve it.
« Reply #261 on: March 11, 2019, 07:40:35 AM »
*Originally Posted by crisb [+]
Have any Aussies here managed to find a local source for the Sumitomo connector pins shown by HerrDeacon above (https://www.cb500x.com/index.php/topic,2538.msg26502.html#msg26502)? I've drawn a blank so far.

Not to sure if you are still looking - but some googling found this place down under:https://jaydeeautocables.com.au/collections/universal-sealed-connectors/products/090as-series-connectors?variant=24335397441

I'll be trying this once I work out exactly what I need so I can install a USB outlet.

;

Offline riot1995

  • CB500X Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 2
  • Country: gb
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB 500 XA-D
  • City / Town: East Midlands
Re: OP (options plug) connector confusion,lets resolve it.
« Reply #262 on: March 15, 2019, 04:16:13 PM »
Does anyone know if the 12v which is live when the full beam is active, is okay to run 2x 15w spotlights from? or will it burn something out? Do I have to use it as a switch to turn a relay on from the 12v in the same plug?

Offline EscCtrl

  • CB500X God
  • *****
  • Posts: 3130
  • Country: us
  • Wrecked Wrench Motorcyclist
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500XT
  • City / Town: Upstate, SC USA
Re: OP (options plug) connector confusion,lets resolve it.
« Reply #263 on: March 15, 2019, 05:13:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by riot1995 [+]
Does anyone know if the 12v which is live when the full beam is active, is okay to run 2x 15w spotlights from? or will it burn something out? Do I have to use it as a switch to turn a relay on from the 12v in the same plug?
Yes, it will handle it just fine. Be sure to avoid the blue wire for anything other than a relay trigger.
Artist also known as ben2go.
Current bikes
Six=Suzuki GS500,'00 V Star Classic,'14 CB500X farkled out nicely.
I rescue neglected and battered motorcycles.

Offline Aggie95

  • CB500X Member
  • **
  • Posts: 42
  • Country: us
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 CB500X
  • City / Town: Henderson, TX
Re: OP (options plug) connector confusion,lets resolve it.
« Reply #264 on: March 15, 2019, 05:22:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by riot1995 [+]
Does anyone know if the 12v which is live when the full beam is active, is okay to run 2x 15w spotlights from? or will it burn something out? Do I have to use it as a switch to turn a relay on from the 12v in the same plug?

It sounds like you are asking about the Blue wire in the front OP.  If your bike is a '13-'15, the headlight is protected by a 15A fuse (which includes the headlight).  If you are running an incandescent headlamp, it will draw about 60W on high, or about 4.5A.  If you are running some sort of aftermarket LED, the draw may be less.  Two 15W lights will add about 2.3A more load on the circuit.  Should be quite all right.

But!!!  If your bike is a '16 or later model with an LED headlight, several members have suggested you should not drive the additional lights off of the blue high beam wire; doing so may burn out the LED driver which is expensive to replace.

The safest method for driving extra lights in either case, is to do as EscCtrl has suggested many times herein; use the high beam (Blue) wire to trigger a relay that powers the extra lights.  Automotive style relays are cheap ($5 US) and 30A are quite common and will power about 350W of extra accessories. (Our alternators only make about 550W at max.)  For the two 15W lights, you only require about a 5A relay.

1971-1973: '67 CL77 (305 Scrambler), Sold, because my wife said to...
2018: '14 CB500X, The dream bike of my youth!  Thanks, Son

Offline SilverCycle

  • CB500X Member
  • **
  • Posts: 66
    • View Profile
Re: OP (options plug) connector confusion,lets resolve it.
« Reply #265 on: March 15, 2019, 05:48:10 PM »
Is there such a thing as a solid state relay these days? Seems a bit of a bummer to have all these LED lights and add more LED lights... Then switch them with an old skool electromechanical relay.

Offline EscCtrl

  • CB500X God
  • *****
  • Posts: 3130
  • Country: us
  • Wrecked Wrench Motorcyclist
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500XT
  • City / Town: Upstate, SC USA
Re: OP (options plug) connector confusion,lets resolve it.
« Reply #266 on: March 17, 2019, 02:26:02 AM »
*Originally Posted by Aggie95 [+]
It sounds like you are asking about the Blue wire in the front OP.  If your bike is a '13-'15, the headlight is protected by a 15A fuse (which includes the headlight).  If you are running an incandescent headlamp, it will draw about 60W on high, or about 4.5A.  If you are running some sort of aftermarket LED, the draw may be less.  Two 15W lights will add about 2.3A more load on the circuit.  Should be quite all right.

But!!!  If your bike is a '16 or later model with an LED headlight, several members have suggested you should not drive the additional lights off of the blue high beam wire; doing so may burn out the LED driver which is expensive to replace.

The safest method for driving extra lights in either case, is to do as EscCtrl has suggested many times herein; use the high beam (Blue) wire to trigger a relay that powers the extra lights.  Automotive style relays are cheap ($5 US) and 30A are quite common and will power about 350W of extra accessories. (Our alternators only make about 550W at max.)  For the two 15W lights, you only require about a 5A relay.

We have 500 watts from our charging system. I think someone calculated that the 13-15 bikes have 280 watts reserve after the running systems are covered. I can't confirm that to be true. I can back up everything else you have mentioned.  :062:
Artist also known as ben2go.
Current bikes
Six=Suzuki GS500,'00 V Star Classic,'14 CB500X farkled out nicely.
I rescue neglected and battered motorcycles.

Offline EscCtrl

  • CB500X God
  • *****
  • Posts: 3130
  • Country: us
  • Wrecked Wrench Motorcyclist
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500XT
  • City / Town: Upstate, SC USA
Re: OP (options plug) connector confusion,lets resolve it.
« Reply #267 on: March 17, 2019, 02:28:59 AM »
*Originally Posted by SilverCycle [+]
Is there such a thing as a solid state relay these days? Seems a bit of a bummer to have all these LED lights and add more LED lights... Then switch them with an old skool electromechanical relay.

They are available, more expensive, and sometimes a bit bulkier, but do the same job with the same amount of power to activate

For those that would like info on solid state relays.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_relay

Good old style relays.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relay
Artist also known as ben2go.
Current bikes
Six=Suzuki GS500,'00 V Star Classic,'14 CB500X farkled out nicely.
I rescue neglected and battered motorcycles.

Offline Aggie95

  • CB500X Member
  • **
  • Posts: 42
  • Country: us
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 CB500X
  • City / Town: Henderson, TX
Re: OP (options plug) connector confusion,lets resolve it.
« Reply #268 on: March 17, 2019, 04:46:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by EscCtrl [+]
We have 500 watts from our charging system. I think someone calculated that the 13-15 bikes have 280 watts reserve after the running systems are covered. I can't confirm that to be true. I can back up everything else you have mentioned.  :062:

I stand corrected; thanks EscCtrl.  The Service Manual does state Alternator Capacity 500W @ 5000rpm! (I guess I mis-remembered that wrong number!)  :138:

Thanks for the 280W reserve power info; that is a very useful bit of info!  I assume that is the power remaining to recharge the starting battery and drive all the farkle. 

In my case, the farkle includes 60W of auxiliary lighting and 10W to drive my Garmin plus a few watts to charge my cell phone.  In the future, I will need enough power to charge an aux battery (about 100Wh) that I will use to drive my CPAP when camping without electricity.  I would like to recharge this battery over about six hours of riding, so I need to provide for about 100Wh/6h ~ 17W.  That puts me at about 90W for "stuff" plus recharging the starting battery.  However, I can subtract 20W for the high beam aux lights because I won't be using them during the day.  I will also sometimes need a trivial amount of power to charge other batteries like my intercom and maybe a camera battery or flashlight battery.  I don't plan to have any heated gear or hand grips.  So, it appears that I am well within the 280W available...   :062:

1971-1973: '67 CL77 (305 Scrambler), Sold, because my wife said to...
2018: '14 CB500X, The dream bike of my youth!  Thanks, Son

Offline EscCtrl

  • CB500X God
  • *****
  • Posts: 3130
  • Country: us
  • Wrecked Wrench Motorcyclist
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500XT
  • City / Town: Upstate, SC USA
Re: OP (options plug) connector confusion,lets resolve it.
« Reply #269 on: March 17, 2019, 07:23:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by Aggie95 [+]
I stand corrected; thanks EscCtrl.  The Service Manual does state Alternator Capacity 500W @ 5000rpm! (I guess I mis-remembered that wrong number!)  :138:

Thanks for the 280W reserve power info; that is a very useful bit of info!  I assume that is the power remaining to recharge the starting battery and drive all the farkle. 

In my case, the farkle includes 60W of auxiliary lighting and 10W to drive my Garmin plus a few watts to charge my cell phone.  In the future, I will need enough power to charge an aux battery (about 100Wh) that I will use to drive my CPAP when camping without electricity.  I would like to recharge this battery over about six hours of riding, so I need to provide for about 100Wh/6h ~ 17W.  That puts me at about 90W for "stuff" plus recharging the starting battery.  However, I can subtract 20W for the high beam aux lights because I won't be using them during the day.  I will also sometimes need a trivial amount of power to charge other batteries like my intercom and maybe a camera battery or flashlight battery.  I don't plan to have any heated gear or hand grips.  So, it appears that I am well within the 280W available...   :062:

We all get mixed up from time to time. I do. No worries.  :062:

Yes, that 280w would be approximate to run everything that's added onto the bike. Please keep in mind that this number hasn't been solidly confirmed. I look at it as a guideline. I also use a voltmeter, which I think you've seen, to monitor my battery condition. I want to get one that is direct sunlight viewable. Also consider a battery switch, combiner, or inline diode. If your bike's battery happens to go bad, or there is an electrical issue, it will prevent your auxiliary battery from being killed. An inline 30 amp fuse would be a good idea as well. That should allow 360w to the battery and protect it in case of a short.
Artist also known as ben2go.
Current bikes
Six=Suzuki GS500,'00 V Star Classic,'14 CB500X farkled out nicely.
I rescue neglected and battered motorcycles.

 


Recent Topics


victorious-backstage