Author Topic: 2014 Clutch problem?  (Read 25488 times)

Offline RobotGuy

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X
2014 Clutch problem?
on: July 21, 2015, 04:02:04 PM
Just out for a leisure ride this morning (bike has 2700km on it) and all of a sudden the clutch cable goes almost completely slack.... the cable is fine, no fraying or breakage... but I had to adjust the cable to almost it's limit to bring back proper cable clutch pull... The clutch works fine too despite having lost 3/4 of it's cable travel in a blink of an eye... I had a look at the clutch arm (on the clutch cover) on the left side and noticed that it has no tension spring on it like other bikes I have had... Does our CB500x's have a tension spring on the arm as I don't recall ever noticing?... I mean if the spring fell off or broke then that could be my issue... Any of you guys confirm that there is a tension spring on the clutch arm before I book a warranty service with Honda?

Thanks a million...!
2017 Honda CB500X (red)

Offline hec

• CB500X Pro
Re: 2014 Clutch problem?
Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 04:57:28 PM
return spring is on the inside of the rhs engine cover not on the outside.. you adjust cable at lever (minor/running adjustment) and at the other actuator end (when no more lever adjustment)
if the clutch still works as it should then I would guess just a cable problem ...
these are not heavy duty cycle parts so I adjusted my clutch cable before the 1k service and couple of times in the next 5k km ... unless they are very expensive cables the parallel I would draw with old money bicycle brake parts Simano XT cables did not stretch acera or entry level ones did ... so you can expect them to stretch from new then quickly settle down ...
as yours went immediately and almost completely slack then I would hazard a guess that ..either
-- slight fault with cable ( you may want to buy/order a spare always worth having and taking on long tours)
-- problem when set up
Cable running in a sleeve with 2x metal end caps and 2 moulded end pieces/nipples cinched on the ends of the cable
-- if inattentively assembled perhaps cable end caps was caught or cable sleeve was not set all the way into the end caps or nipples not correctly set in their catchers at either end ... in this case probably fixed itself now and nothing to worry about
-- the metal end caps can fall apart/fail which means all the pressure taken on the twisted wire sleeve, the nipples can move on the cable if not tightly cinched in manufacture ... either of these cable will fail at some point
Might be worth taking a closer look ...
Personally I cannot be bothered returning to dealer with these sorts of niggles unless the cable is faulty in which case you might want to get it replaced and ask them for a spare as well ...

BWDIK
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.

Offline RobotGuy

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 06:07:03 PM
Thanks for your response... What you said seems to make sense as after adjusting the cable to the proper slack everything seems normal.... Clutch is smooth, quiet and engages/disengages properly.... As a precautionary measure though, I am going to order a new clutch cable and replace it...

Cheers and thanks again...
Richard
2017 Honda CB500X (red)

Offline motorboy

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 07:19:47 PM
Do a search and you will see others have had the same problem  seems after a little while the bike fixes itself
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline andybeeone

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: cb500X MT-09 Tra
Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 08:03:32 PM
Get a genuine cable, I had similar troubles on my DRZ400 which weren't cured using aftermarket cables. As soon as I fitted a genuine cable the problem disappeared.

Hec, slumming it with XT? What's wrong with XTR?  :001:

Offline Heavy

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: CB500X
Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 11:49:21 AM
*Originally Posted by RobotGuy [+]
Just out for a leisure ride this morning (bike has 2700km on it) and all of a sudden the clutch cable goes almost completely slack....

Mine did the exact same thing, at about the exact same mileage.  On mine, I noticed the slop had come from the actuator arm, right at the motor.  I've compared with new bikes (in a couple of showrooms) and my actuator arm has much more free play than a new bike.  Something has slipped on the linkage, inside the clutch cover.  The angle on the actuator arm is steeper with mine now as well.  I'm going to the dealer.  I was able to adjust the cable to get it to work, but there is something that is not right with it.
There is never enough time or money to do it right the first time.

Offline RobotGuy

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 12:18:55 PM
Heavy... let me know what the dealer says.... I think I will do the same. Warranty ends in Sept so I need to have this checked soon...
2017 Honda CB500X (red)

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God-zilla
Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 04:54:04 PM
*Originally Posted by RobotGuy [+]
Just out for a leisure ride this morning (bike has 2700km on it) and all of a sudden the clutch cable goes almost completely slack.... the cable is fine, no fraying or breakage... but I had to adjust the cable to almost it's limit to bring back proper cable clutch pull... The clutch works fine too despite having lost 3/4 of it's cable travel in a blink of an eye... I had a look at the clutch arm (on the clutch cover) on the left side and noticed that it has no tension spring on it like other bikes I have had... Does our CB500x's have a tension spring on the arm as I don't recall ever noticing?... I mean if the spring fell off or broke then that could be my issue... Any of you guys confirm that there is a tension spring on the clutch arm before I book a warranty service with Honda?

Thanks a million...!

This sounds like a clutch cable fraying internally due to lack of lubrication.I would replace it or return to dealer for warranty service.

Offline Defender

• CB500X God-zilla
  • Bike: Yamaha YBR
Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 07:01:00 PM
No longer having the manual to refer to, I can't check, but sounds more like a problem with the clutch actuating mechanism, than a stretched or worn cable. Have you checked for anything amiss at the clutch lever, I seem to recall a plastic spacer round the the cable barrel nipple. I may be making that up, it's been a while since I worked on it. The changed angle of the actuating arm would appear to indicate something awry inside the casing though. That's where I'd put my money. Old bikes had a ball bearing at the end of the clutch rod which could wear rapidly sometimes.
If I can help somebody as I go along, then my living has not been in vain.

Offline RobotGuy

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 07:10:52 PM
@EscCtrl ... Dude get real LOL, it is brand new with only 2700 km on it!... Never seen rain... Nothing wrong with the cable itself or lack of lubrication either.... As mention the arm has actually changed positions... So it's an internal clutch issue (dealer mechanic confirmed)... The dealer will be looking at it next week under warranty to determine (and fix) the actual cause...
Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 07:37:59 PM by RobotGuy
2017 Honda CB500X (red)

victorious-backstage