Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2016: gearshift improvements?  (Read 7070 times)

Offline Pocketpete

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2017
  • City / Town: Gee Cross
Re: 2016: gearshift improvements?
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2018, 06:48:40 PM »
I have the 2016 ABS version (uk) with the updated gear change. I have never been quite happy with the gear change. Mostly quite smooth but every now and then becomes clunky and struggles to change.
I snapped my pedal off and had to put the back one as a temporary measure till the new honda one arrived. Not being the same size and sitting in a difference position I experienced a few problems changing gear so I realised if I place my boot in a difference position changes were extremely smooth.

Eventually the new pedal arrived and normal service was resumed generally smooth but everynow and then clunky. Hmm. I placed a go pro camera over the pedal and recorded my gears changes and I realised my foot is quite big (Size 11) uk and my daytona boots have a pad to stop wear and tear. I could see on some changes the pedal is hardly under my boot sometimes just touchine the last cm of the pedal.

I then started to really forced my foot tight under the pedal tight alongside the bike. Suddenly very smooth changes. I have since welded a 3 cm extension bolt on the end of the pedal not idea but perfect changes everytime.

Offline Dukie

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Cb500x
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2018, 07:42:59 PM »
Honestly my13 gearbox is great, my 17 seems to shift just as well but . Maybe Rossi could tell the difference but I can't.
My engine feels like it has more torque 2-5k but I don't believe it actually does.
Does anyone actually know what changes were made?
Sold:  '13 Rally Raid lvl 3.
own:  '17  Rally Raid lvl 1

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
  • Wrecked Wrench Motorcyclist
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500XT
  • City / Town: Upstate, SC USA
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2018, 02:38:35 AM »
*Originally Posted by Dukie [+]
Honestly my13 gearbox is great, my 17 seems to shift just as well but . Maybe Rossi could tell the difference but I can't.
My engine feels like it has more torque 2-5k but I don't believe it actually does.
Does anyone actually know what changes were made?

I have a thread with the parts list of changes. I'll try to find it and post it.
Artist also known as ben2go.
Current bikes
Six=Suzuki GS500,'00 V Star Classic,'14 CB500X farkled out nicely.
I rescue neglected and battered motorcycles.

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
  • Wrecked Wrench Motorcyclist
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500XT
  • City / Town: Upstate, SC USA
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2018, 02:39:46 AM »
Artist also known as ben2go.
Current bikes
Six=Suzuki GS500,'00 V Star Classic,'14 CB500X farkled out nicely.
I rescue neglected and battered motorcycles.

Offline C-rider

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Hamilton
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2018, 05:21:20 AM »
I've commented in this thread previously but I have now found something new about the shifting problem.  The shift lever pivot can become dried out and increase the friction of shifting.  Now my bike is one of the first manufactured, being serial number 18, so this may not apply to all.  It also has about 44,000 km on it.  At any rate I was thinking about how sometimes it seemed to shift harder than others and the other day after a ride in the rain, it was much harder.  Then I thought about maybe water getting into spots that should be lubricated.  I took the lever off and found it quite dry there.  There is an O ring (square in section) on each end and over time the lubrication seeps out and the water can get in.  I cleaned it and put some good quality moly grease on it and voila, significantly improved shifting.  Mine was quite bad sometimes to the point that it became quite a chore and I found myself grimacing with each shift and was a factor in reducing the enjoyment of the ride. I don't think I've seen anyone comment on this before but one more thing to check if anyone is having problems.   

Offline SnowOwl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: SE Missouri
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2018, 03:35:31 PM »
Every time I take the front sprocket cover off for whatever reason I remove the gear shift lever pivot bolt to move the linkage out of the way instead of taking it loose at the top like the manual directions say.  Just pull the pivot bolt and swing the linkage up to where it rests tucked in with all the ground wires at the grounding point.  It is MUCH easier to do this way and also gives me the opportunity to clean and lube the gear shift lever pivot.  At a little over 10,000 miles on the bike now I have had the front sprocket cover off at least 4 times now to inspect the front sprocket and counter shaft seal and to clean out the area around the front sprocket.  One of those times was when I replaced the chain and sprockets.  So, doing things this way that pivot has not been an issue.
1980 Suzuki GS250T - Sold a long time ago
------------
1982 Suzuki PE175 - For exploring the farm with the dog
2016 Honda CB500X ABS - All round commuter and day trips

Recent Topics