Author Topic: Valve Clearance - How To  (Read 46081 times)

Offline Nortoon

• Ex Member
  • CB500X Master
Re: Valve Clearance - How To
Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 05:37:57 PM
I own a 2013 X. Power Sports Canada in Ottawa charged me $243.50 + sales taxes for my first valve clearance check at 2411 km. Nothing on the bill for parts, so I assume the valves were within tolerance limits.

I know they looked because the signal lights didn't work. The tech forgot to plug them back in before replacing the fuel tank. He was embarrassed when I brought it back.

I assume the next one will be more expensive as I may need shims.

Offline UKSKP

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: 2013 CB500X
Reply #11 on: March 31, 2016, 06:26:54 PM
I also own a 2013 and had my valve check done at 1800kms at the Brockville Powersports dealership...cost of this first service was $310 all in BUT that included new oil and filter and adjust, clean and lube the chain as well as the valve check

I know they did all the work correctly as they insisted that I must drop the bike off the night before as it needed to be cold the next morning when they worked on it and I could see the nice new oil through the window on the side of the engine and also the new oil filter as the old one had a few stone chips and road grime on it

I was happy to let them do it as like other say they have done it a few times now...and should know what they are doing!

Offline hec

• CB500X Pro
Reply #12 on: March 31, 2016, 09:11:39 PM
Thanks EscCtl .. great to have it in pictures ... looking forward to partII
BWDIK
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God-zilla
Reply #13 on: March 31, 2016, 09:22:25 PM
You're welcome everyone.Happy to help when I can.

My dealer said that the most it would cost me was $600.I think they are expecting a worse case senerio here.They always over quote on work to prevent surprises as much as possible.

Offline Dukie

• CB500X God
  • Bike: Cb500x
Reply #14 on: April 03, 2016, 10:09:27 PM
thank you for this extremely useful guide. it is far cry from working on my girlfriends vt125 shadow and in fairness a think if i still own this bike at 32k miles i will take it to honda for the VC to be done.
Sold:  '13 Rally Raid lvl 3.
own:  '17  Rally Raid lvl 1

Offline Gills

• CB500X Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2013 CB500XA
Reply #15 on: April 07, 2016, 12:36:38 PM
I've just done this again, now that the new shims have arrived and it took me 3 hours in total, helped considerably by having done it only a week before! I took some more photos, so will produce an updated guide when I have a bit of spare time.

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God-zilla
Reply #16 on: April 07, 2016, 08:19:31 PM
*Originally Posted by Gills [+]
I've just done this again, now that the new shims have arrived and it took me 3 hours in total, helped considerably by having done it only a week before! I took some more photos, so will produce an updated guide when I have a bit of spare time.

My shims were on back order at Honda Parts Direct.None of my local dealers had the sizes I needed.Hopefully I can finish up first of next week.I been down for almost two weeks.It's driving me batty.

Oh and I think I would probably have around 4 hours total in the work,if i could have done it all in one day.

Offline Gills

• CB500X Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #17 on: April 07, 2016, 08:41:33 PM
*Originally Posted by EscCtrl [+]
My shims were on back order at Honda Parts Direct.None of my local dealers had the sizes I needed.Hopefully I can finish up first of next week.I been down for almost two weeks.It's driving me batty.

It's a real pain that these shims aren't kept in stock. The only positive with mine is that the back order arrived at the dealer a day early and the shims arrived with me next day. Hope you get yours back together before too long.

Offline Gills

• CB500X Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #18 on: April 10, 2016, 09:25:49 AM
I have now finished updating the guide at the start of this thread and will shortly attach a pdf version which can be saved and printed out.

There's nothing that is particularly difficult from a technical point of view in doing this job, but you do need the tools listed, plenty of time and hope that you can get hold of any new shims you need, without having to wait too long!

Offline HerrDeacon

• CB500X God
Reply #19 on: April 10, 2016, 10:20:02 AM
Fantastic work Gills. Really appreciate you taking the time and effort to document this along with great pictures. This will help a lot of members there, thank you.  :821:

victorious-backstage