Author Topic: Dunlop Trailmax d609  (Read 21734 times)

Offline Superplasma

• CB500X Pro
Re: Dunlop Trailmax d609
Reply #40 on: December 10, 2018, 09:47:15 AM
*Originally Posted by quill4 [+]
Chesh':  RP4's were a no brainer, until I watched this:

Because the RP4's were so good it was difficult to believe that anything could be better, so it was a difficult decision to make.  However, the performance of the Metzelers was so confidence inspiring, in the wet, on mountain hairpin roads, at lean angles way above my normal riding conditions, that I doubt whether I will go back to RP4's.  No criticism of the Michelins intended, they are heaps better than the awful Dunlops that came with the bike, I just like the Metzelers a smidgeon more.

I have the Metzeler Road tec 01s , find them great.

Superplasma.

Offline Albee

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: 2018 CB500X
Reply #41 on: May 22, 2020, 02:09:11 AM
My OEM Dunlop 609's are getting tossed after 3750km.

I found little to complain about at 32/36 psi front/rear.  But in the last 1,000 km the front tire wear has been insane.  The front has taken on a triangular shape - a lot of tread wear on the sides with some block leading edge wear, and a weird 1" wide raised flat ridge in the center.  The rear tire wear is the 'normal' squared off thing we get with a lot of straight roads.  If it wasn't for the odd front tire wear I'd just run the rear a bit closer to the wear bars, but it's time for new shoes.

I picked up a set of Continental Road Attack 2 EVO's, and will be mounting those on the stock rims, but this past winter I got the Rally Raid Level 1 spoked wheels and have just fitted them with Metzeler Karoo Street 140/80R17 and Shinko 705 120/70R17.  I want to try them on some of the gravel roads around here.  With the OEM D609s, loose gravel was a frightening experience.
Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 02:13:04 AM by Albee

Offline motorboy

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
Reply #42 on: May 22, 2020, 02:44:37 PM
That odd front tire wear is do to low tire pressure
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline adman

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: CB 500X PC64
Reply #43 on: May 22, 2020, 05:09:16 PM
I drive the 2019 D609 Trailmax and partly cannot understand the comments. At the beginning I was also very skeptical because up to now I only used street tires on my motorcycles. I was all the more astonished that the series Dunlop can be driven so easily. I was able to drive the tire to the edge after a short time and never had an unsafe feeling. The tire implements the steering commands directly and precisely and gives the X a playful handling. I have now driven about 3000 km in the Bergisches Land with tight curves and fast alternating curves and never had a feeling of insecurity. Since I have only been on dry roads so far, I cannot say anything about the other properties.
When the D609 has left, I will test the new Pirelli Angel GT2. The Angel is very popular here and always scores very well in the comparison tests. As already written elsewhere, I will be driving almost exclusively on asphalt with the X.
If the X with the "bad" Dunlop is going so well, how agile and fast will it only fly with the angels ...?
Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 05:13:01 PM by adman
A straight line is only the shortest connection between two curves ...

Offline timur

• CB500X Pro
Reply #44 on: May 22, 2020, 06:31:23 PM
OEM Dunlop tyres was the reason I broke a rib after highsiding my bike one cold and foggy night. And it seems incredible but they had so bad grip in rain that I was able to do continuous power slides on 3rd gear! With 48HP bike!! Cool if you like supermotard style riding but not very relaxing when you need to go to the office at 7.00 am.

I should say they was OK on dry tarmac but with rain it was a nightmare. For cold, wet weather it's not a good option.

Online UnmzldOx

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
Reply #45 on: May 22, 2020, 11:36:19 PM
There aren't many reviews of the Pirelli Scorpion Trail IIs, but the minority report is one I agree with in this case.

Offline Albee

• CB500X Member
Reply #46 on: May 23, 2020, 01:47:13 PM
yeah, could be the tire pressures...

I have been using a TPMS for the last 1,000km with the D609's.  The front tire pretty much stayed within a degree or two (celsius) of ambient temperature, while the rear temp rose 4-5 degrees above ambient.  The tire pressures at those temperatures rose 3 psi in the front tire and 5 psi in the rear tire.  So I wasn't scorching the rubber off the tires.

Something that may be an indication of the 'quality' of the OEM D609's is the amount of balancing weights that were put on in the factory - 40g on the back tire and 30g on the front.  My replacement Conti Road Attack 2 EVO's (with no alignment dot) used exactly half of the weights to balance on the same rims.  On closer inspection of my D609's, the 'flat spot' on both D609's appear to be the result of a belt in the carcass.  I suspect the rubber and construction of these OEM tires is thin and poor (like Ryan F9 says about OEM tires).  All said, I was happy enough with the tires for the first 3,000 km.  They just fell apart quickly after that.

But, I will up the tire pressures in the new tires to 34/38 and see how it goes.  I'm not loading the bike heavy.

Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 01:49:28 PM by Albee

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
Reply #47 on: May 23, 2020, 01:58:13 PM
It's not the tyre pressures - the original fitment tyres are rubbish, and wear in the weirdest way.  Throw them away!

I now have Pirelli Angel ST's - what a difference!!
The Story So Far.........
2017-2019: 12000mls recreational use - 89.73mpg UK; 74.72mpg US; 3.15litres/100km

Online fatal

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: CB500x (2019)
Reply #48 on: May 23, 2020, 03:39:26 PM
I had pirelli Angels fitted to my old Ducati Multistrada 1100, they were/are a very good road tyre. I'm fairly neutral about the standard fitment Dunlop Mixtrail I have on my '19 500x at the moment, I haven't had any scarey moments, but I don't think there is much feed back through the tyres. It's my intention to replace them with Avon Trail Riders when needed. I had the Avons fitted to a BMW R100 Gs and a Yamaha XTZ 1200, the Trail Riders performed excellent in all conditions, including some easy green laning on gravel roads and hard packed surfaces, I wouldn't expect them to be particularly good in mud though.

Offline Albee

• CB500X Member
Reply #49 on: May 25, 2020, 06:16:08 AM
Just one more note and my D609 story is done...

I fitted my new spoked wheels with a Karoo Street 140/80R17 and a Shinko '705' 120/70R17, and tested them out today.  I was a little concerned about the 5% increase in tire circumference over the stock size 160/60R17, as I have previously changed the front sprocket to a 16-tooth, which had brought the rpm's to a better range for highway running and 'fixed' the speedometer accuracy.  Sure enough, my GPS now reads 5% faster than the CB500X speedometer.  But I got an unexpected bonus when I tested the tires on hilly and twisty 2-lane roads.  5th gear is now a very useful gear in this situation, not just a gear you go through to get to 6th.  5th now has enough legs to pull the bike along with authority at highway speed in the hills, while 6th is even better as an 'overdrive' (or for plain old go-fast purposes of course).  1st gear is still plenty low for me.  So I'm liking the gear ratios even better now.  With the stock setup I found the bike was geared too low.

I took the bike on a 8 km stretch of gravel road too - the bike felt planted, although I didn't push it.  I didn't want to ruin my first day out by getting in over my head.

The big fat Shinko 705 up front has added a lot of stability to the bike, something I can certainly use because we get a lot of gusty wind around here that can really push the bike around.  I'm sure the big and chunky karoo rear tire adds to the gyro effect.  The bike just rides better - it has a more substantial and composed feel.  Last year I upgraded the suspension to the Rally Raid Level 1 kit, so I have a good match with these tires now.

victorious-backstage