Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rally Raid 3 - First impressions  (Read 5288 times)

Offline tasso

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500X RR3
  • City / Town: Czechia
Rally Raid 3 - First impressions
« on: September 27, 2016, 10:02:09 PM »
TLTR;
I love it! Get the kit, enjoy, get crazy!

The long version:

As Grim Rider said in his post Ive become owner of his RR3 kit. It is after quite some time thinking if Ill will justify the kit with my riding as well as just contemplating if my legs are long enough heh.

We spent a good day swapping things around and installing the kit, to be honest most of the fiddling was around keeping the bikes in the air. :)

The end result is well worth it!

I would like to share some of my first impressions after tasting the RR3 on my way back from Wales (motorways), one day off-road in Kent & some Monday London commute as it may be useful for people thinking about getting RR3.

CB500x is my first big bike, Ive done 24k miles on the stock bike, long distances, gravel, green lanes, commuting so that is the experience Im comparing RR3 with. Im 168cm/5.5feet tall and have 75cm/29.52inch instem, 70kg.

1) What does 2in taller bike actually mean?

I think this is main question for quite a few people, especially of my size. And I would recommend people to try the bike before they buy kit and ideally ride it for a bit to get perspective. Lifting bike up those 2 inches does make quite a difference in two main areas, if we ignore obvious advantage of the ground clearance on which later.

What I notice is that while I had both feet flat on the ground before, now with RR3 I have both TOES touching the ground...  :745:
This inevitably translate to some awkward situations at low speeds. You may have been used for example to just "walk" the bike somewhere because your feet had huge contact patch with the pavement, well forget that now. I now need to think much more about where to stop and really spend as much time riding the bike instead of walking the bike.

If I need flat foot I have to move my ass and sit on one side or another. When I stop at the lights Im fine with toes.

Another thing for me was the difference how "heavy" bike now feels when moving it around by hands. As the bike is higher it feels (well, is) more top heavy and I can really feel it when I for example take it from the side stand or just move it around. It is not significantly heavier it just feels to be in these situations. Interestingly enough, picking it up when I dropped it is still the same easy :138:

Few pushups & some work on core and all is going to be fine, eehe.

These two differences impact mainly commute for me as that's where its all start stop start stop. It does take some time to get used to but I think it is just matter of getting used to and me become better rider in general (more forward planning). Probably connected with this is that Ive re-discovered rear brake as I tend to use is to steady bike and smooth stop it.

Would the bike be higher (even a bit) it would be no go for me though, I think this is comfortable maximum.

2) What does the RR suspension give you on road?

Massively improved riding, really I was so surprised. Especially it matters if I happen to go around the bend and there are some potholes or it is bumpy, bike behaves much more stable and graceful, it sticks more to the road. It may be I had my stock suspension setup badly but I doubt that (not much to set really).

Also when going speeds (over speed limit  :164: ) then bike behaves better and especially front does not give you that feel its going to fall apart any second. When under or around 70mph its just smooth, eats bumps and has great feedback.

When I commute it's generally at lower speeds, potholes, speed bumps and so on. Id say there is a difference but not much from stock, it feels better but it would not justify getting the kit, I think. Funny I say this but I feel more improvement with some speed.

So for example if Id be thinking about better suspension while keeping the same height, RR Level 1 would transform the bike greatly. The suspension itself is definitely worth it.

3) What does the suspension give you on gravel/off-road?

I think thats why you buying the RR3 kit, right? I think main question here is "How much & what off-road use I want to do?" because in my case Ive tried the same trails on Stock & RR3 and the thing is - Stock bike did manage to do it all (video bellow) as well but rally Rally Raid just rocks!

True, I ruined few hand guards and decimated bash plate in the process but it did it.

So thats one part of the answer there, you gain ground clearance and depending on what you ride you need that. For example on this trail, RR3 didnt have problem at all and the stock bike was constantly hitting the bash plate.

But clearance is only one part of the story, if you do gravel/dirt roads RR1 might just be great option as you can set it up better and its just so much better suspension. If you plan getting a bit rougher, you need those 2 inches.

Other part of RR suspension off-road is that the suspension just works for that kind of riding. You can tweak it for road/off-road for starters! It gives me confidence it is predictable and I think this is where the value is for me.

Interestingly on my off-road day I didnt have problem with bike being higher. As the terrain was more diverse there always was something to put my feet on. I can however clearly see situations where the toes will just mean Ill drop the bike.

And I did! But this time Rally Raid bash plate being much sturdier survived! Pretty deep dent though ;) Also wrong side to put it down as my new exhaust is not new anymore  :084:

:305:
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 10:04:39 PM by tasso »

Offline Grim Rider

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Codsall
Re: Rally Raid 3 - First impressions
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 10:06:18 PM »
Good write up Pavel - am so glad you are going to make the most of the RR kit, enjoy my friend 😀
2017 BMW RnineT Racer S; 2001 BMW R1150 GSA; 1990 BMW K1; 1998 Suzuki DR350S; 1978 Laverda Jarama; 1977 Honda Camino;1962 AJS 250 CSR
www.thegrimrider.com
www.bldr.moonfruit.com

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 11:33:36 PM »
I'd echo what Grim says - a very thorough review - thank you, and enjoy it!

Jx
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline Matt F.

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: cb550x
  • City / Town: Swampscott, Mass
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 01:18:13 AM »
A fun read...makes me want to go for a ride!
2013 CB500X

Offline CB-500-X

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X
  • City / Town: South Florida
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 04:14:09 AM »
Wish my legs were longer  :023: :003: :006:

Offline tasso

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 08:49:13 PM »
Thanks everybody :)

CB-500-X, I've just tried some Forma Adventure boots or TCX and they add a bit of what I'm missing....  :745:

Waiting for delivery.

Offline slow motion

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2016
  • City / Town: Sunny Devon
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 09:01:53 PM »
Hi Tasso
If its needed you could always get a good shoe repairer to put a Commando sole on your boots. Thereby gaining grip and height
Just an idea from a "shoe man"
Steve
2016 CB500X
2008 BMW GS Adventure
1973 Honda CB 500 Four

Offline riff-richard

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 02:02:08 AM »
*Originally Posted by tasso [+]
Thanks everybody :)

CB-500-X, I've just tried some Forma Adventure boots or TCX and they add a bit of what I'm missing....  :745:

Waiting for delivery.

I picked up some Forma's the other day and so far I'm pretty damn happy, really sturdy sole and quite comfy once you wear 'em in  :152:

Great write up mate, I'm so bloody keen to get the L3 on my steed. Out of interest, how tall are you? I've got some height on my side so I'm hoping the added inches won't matter too much.

Cheers,

Richard
CB500X (Val)

Offline tasso

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2016, 09:11:50 PM »
"slow motion" I did think about that actually for the other pair. Let's see if higher Forma's will help, if yes I may get other one upgraded.

riff-richard I'm 168cm and my in stem (no shoes) is 74 cm.

I've done some riding on the RR3 and rally the main problem with the height is slow speed, anything else at all. Once bike is going it is fine but once you're in the range of <4mph and you want to use feet for support then it get's a bit tricky.

It's nothing unmanageable and it probably shows my bad riding but especially very tight uneven Uturn, on gravel, stones, soft you better commit and go otherwise it's very easy to drop it :)

I do find it more top heavy as I wrote before and it will take some time to get used to it. I rode quite a few miles on stock CB and knew how it corners and what to expect. Now it's all new and different, height, suspension, tyres.

I'm going to temporarily convert bike to RR2 while my wheels are fixed & sealed so that will be quite interesting!

:306:

Offline tasso

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2016, 11:47:16 PM »
Situations which would benefit having longer legs include those at 0:30 and later in this video

:305:

Recent Topics