Author Topic: Experienced rider considering the 500x  (Read 11600 times)

Offline Alanp

• CB500X Newbie
  • Topic Author
Experienced rider considering the 500x
on: October 21, 2016, 05:04:22 AM
I am a very experienced rider (40 years) and have ridden about 20,000 miles this year alone.  I currently have a Yam FJR and a Moto Guzzi V11 Lemans.  I am thinking of getting a 500x but am worried about it being too small, underpowered, or too much of a beginner bike.  Would like to hear from other experienced riders who have made the jump to a 500. 

I have had a test ride and thought the bike moved along pretty well.  Feels very light and easy to ride.  Downsides were the high revs required to get performance and the overly light and sort of jittery steering.  The front end is very soft and twitchy feeling.  I don't really want to go full RR upgrade due to cost, but maybe stage 1 suspension upgrade would help.  I like the lightness of the bike, but don't like the insubstantial feeling that goes with it. 

Anyway, would appreciate hearing some thoughts on it.  Thanks!

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God-zilla
Re: Experienced rider considering the 500x
Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 05:30:14 AM
I'm 40.I been riding since I was 8 or 9 years old.I have been on the streets since I was 14 years old.I have owned all kinds of bikes and rode all kinds of bikes.I currently own 8.I have put more miles on my CB-X in the past year and a half than I have on my whole fleet in three years.It's nothing special,it's not high power,but it's dead reliable and it does everything while sipping fuel.It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than to ride a fast bike slow.It's also easy to upgrade and make it fit you the way you want.Lots of aftermarket add ons for the X.You can keep it as a street killer, or go all out with an offroad adventure tourer.I lean more toward the offroad touring type riding.Either way,the suspension upgrades will transform the bike into a fun ride.
Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 05:33:50 AM by EscCtrl

Offline marktbike

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2015 CB 500 X
Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 08:50:02 AM
I follow: I'm 48 and I've owned more than 60 bikes, getting a CB 500 X after a 2014 V-Strom 1000 ABS. Well, I can say that the little Honda is one of the best bikes I've ridden. Of course it has limits in terms of power or protection from weather, but it's lots of fun and nimble on twisty roads that makes power a secondary issue. With the Strom I rode about 19,000 km in two years, with the CB-X I collected 15,000 in 8 months.

Offline Ceddy17

• CB500X Pro
  • Ed
Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 08:59:23 AM
I'm 57 and ride a Yam FJR professionally. I've always had a personal bike at home also, mostly Bmw's.
Recently I traded my 15 year old R1150RT in for a CB500x for various reasons. To name one: it is big and heavy to handle while not riding.
For me the CBx is a cute, little bike, where for others it may be a giant.
Everytime I ride it I'm having fun, but evertime I also miss my RT.
Riding with a passenger is not comfortable, it can be done but you instantly notice the limitations of the wee bike.
Going on a trip by yourself is not a problem with the CBx. It is very light to handle and it is capable of transporting luggage as well.
Stay off the highways if you can: the CBx is made for back roads, where it will bring a smile on your face.
I bought the CBx with my mind, as my heart was still bleeding for my RT. Slowly but surely however, I'm getting to love the little critter.
Nowadays, I mostly ride alone, no passenger. I don't feel the need to travel 1200 km in a day anymore.
Do I miss the "big bikes"? Yes!  Do I need a big bike at my age in my dayly circumstances? No!
The CBx suits me just fine for now, but it took a while to find the way to my heart.
Get the CBx but don't get rid of your other bikes if you don't have to, you'll miss them.

Ed.
... don't concentrate on the finger ...  Stay Safe  ...

Offline mark-forrest

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: CB500x, VanVan
Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 09:57:59 AM
I traded a BMW F800GSA in for a CB500x two weeks ago. I commute year round, have toured Italy and done some off-roading in Spain on the 800 this year, racking up nearly 20,000 miles in 15 months, so was a bit nervous of downsizing. After getting a test ride on a used bike I was sure it would be fine so bought it straight away.

Yes it does suffer a bit in the mid range but it sits at motorway speeds better than the 800, is fun on smaller roads and I think will only struggle on faster A roads but I'm not one for flat out blasts, especially with other people.

It will get a good test this weekend though as I'm off down to South Wales with some friends on a mixture of bikes riding round the Brecon Beacons.

My thinking when I got it was to use it for everything for a year or two till I pay it off, then use it for commuting and get another big bike, very probably a standard 800GS which would be used just for trips. Was getting a bit fed up of expensive BM's dissolving in the winter, a new CB500x is half the list price of a new 800GSA. Plus the 800 Adventure was really tall and unless I found very flat ground I couldn't park, when your up in the mountains on hairpins its annoying not being able to stop for pictures etc.

I also have a VanVan 125 which I've done some decent trips on so know you can have a lot of fun on small bikes.

Offline Thisll do

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: CB500X 2016 L3RR
Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 10:10:45 AM
While there are those on this forum who are "on their way up", looking forward to their next bike as something bigger, many of us are "on the way down" and having had bigger bikes, big Guzzis, BMWs etc myself, we no longer see the need for the extra power and weight, and actually thouroughly enjoy the CB500x's lighter weight and still peppy performance.
In the UK, speed enforcement and density of traffic mean that there are few opportunities left, outside of track days, to hoon about on the bigger bikes, the way we once did.
I realise that there is a place for bigger bikes, for those who regularly take a full sized pillion and the attendant luggage, but having done that kind of touring 2 up with camping gear, on an F650 Beemer, I am still, not personally convinced that even our little Hondas are not up to it, but for me the CB500x does all I need, to the shops, across the country or across the continent.

Offline hilldweller

• CB500X God
  • Bike: CB500X
Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 11:51:42 AM
*Originally Posted by Thisll do [+]
While there are those on this forum who are "on their way up", looking forward to their next bike as something bigger, many of us are "on the way down"

for me the CB500x does all I need, to the shops, across the country or across the continent.

There are lots of us on the way down very happy that the X does all we need so well, so easily. It's put the FUN back in biking for me.
Brian.

Offline Rocker66

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: 2019 white 500X
Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 12:16:36 PM
I'm 69 and since my 16th birthday bikes have been my only means of personal transport as I don't have a car licence . I have owned 80 bikes from 80cc to .
I recently estimated that with commuting and leisure miles I have exceed 1 million miles. In 1963 I had an accident resulting in serious injuries to my right foot which meant I could no longer ride bigger bikes plus the fact it meant I had to finnally retire so finances were more of a consideration. In 2014 I got back on the road with a lowered CB500X which I found fulfilled my requirements 99% of the time and was affordable to run on my pension. I was so happy with it that I changed it for a 2016 model. My wife (who also doesn't have a car licence)was made redundant at the around the same time as my accident so has sold her CBF1000FA and Hornet 600 and now rides a CB500F.
After all the bikes that we have owned previously 500s still give us a lot of pleasure. True we sometimes miss the power of the bigger bikes but 99% of the time our current bikes do everything we want
Audere est Facere
The throttle should be controlled by two things which are the right hand and common sense
4 Wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul

Offline Oyabun

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: 13 500XA, 16 FA
Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 12:48:55 PM
*Originally Posted by Ceddy17 [+]
I'm 57 and ride a Yam FJR professionally. I've always had a personal bike at home also, mostly Bmw's.

This made me thinking. In what type of a job you're riding an FJR professionally? I can imagine two. Either a Highway patrol, or a long distance courier. both are really cool.

Offline Britchris

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: CB500X RRL1
Reply #9 on: October 21, 2016, 01:42:48 PM
I'm 56. I traded a 1200cc Buell for my CBX. Been riding since I was a teenager.
I like the CBX as it is ideal for my daily commute and is fun to tool around on at weekends.
It has a reputation as a "little", "entry level" or "Learners" bike.
It's not.
I have zero issues with it on Interstates/motorways. It will happily do 85 all day.
The handling is good for what it is and it's light and maneuverable.
I had no issues n "stepping down" to a CBX.
YMMV
Chris C
It's not a sport unless you can suffer massive internal injuries.