Author Topic: Fitting various electrical accessories  (Read 10690 times)

Offline Tod.

• CB500X Pro
  • Welsh, by the grace of God
Re: Fitting various electrical accessories
Reply #20 on: December 08, 2016, 08:07:46 AM
Got to the front options plug yesterday. Bloody hell! That was a pain in the arse to get to! I couldn't believe how much I had to remove to get to it. Needless to say, I've extended the plug lead so I can get to it without all the previous hassle.

Offline glencoeman

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: CB500X
Reply #21 on: December 08, 2016, 09:22:42 AM
I am going to fit some electrical accessories to my bike using a Fuzeblock switchable  unit - from which you can run up to 6 accessories, either live or switched. On my 2016 X model, the OP lead under the seat has only 2 wires. I can use the positive lead from that as it a switched wire - which the Fuzeblock requires. Hopefully, it will fit under the seat (especially if I get my Dremel out) as there seems to be lot of unnecessary plastic bracketry under the seat. The Fuzeblock unit is expensive to buy new (about 80) but as I already have one, it will be virtually free.

Offline Thisll do

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: CB500X 2016 L3RR
Reply #22 on: December 08, 2016, 09:40:31 AM
Yep! I have Fuzeblock on my 2016. I does what i says on the tin, easy to figure out, options of switched or unswitched, made by slotting mini blade fuses into the appropriate connections, so you can chage from switched to unswitched any time you want.
I fitted it under the seaqt, and yes, I Dremelled a few bits of plastic out of the way, with no harm done.
Only downside is the cover, held on by 2 small CSK screws, all too easy to fumble and loose, somewhere down by the battery. Now how do I know that?  :034:

Offline mark-forrest

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: CB500x, VanVan
Reply #23 on: December 08, 2016, 12:22:37 PM
*Originally Posted by Tod. [+]
Got to the front options plug yesterday. Bloody hell! That was a pain in the arse to get to! I couldn't believe how much I had to remove to get to it. Needless to say, I've extended the plug lead so I can get to it without all the previous hassle.
I did the same last weekend, wanted to mount my sat nag on the screen bracket so ran a power lead to the front op but have fitted a waterproof connector outside of the body work so I can remove the mount if needed.
I'm not using a fuse block though, heated grips and Hella din socket are permanently wired to the battery with their own fuses and the rear op is now not used as I've moved the sat nag from the handle bars.

Offline Mister Paul

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
Reply #24 on: December 08, 2016, 12:38:20 PM
Does anyone have a clear guide on what exactly needs to be removed to get to the front OP? I tried a few months ago but after removing a number of bolts and screws and finding no movement, and not wanting to go any further and remove things I didn't need to, I gave up.

Offline John1411

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2016 in red
Reply #25 on: December 08, 2016, 01:07:51 PM
*Originally Posted by Mister Paul [+]
Does anyone have a clear guide on what exactly needs to be removed to get to the front OP? I tried a few months ago but after removing a number of bolts and screws and finding no movement, and not wanting to go any further and remove things I didn't need to, I gave up.

Afraid not, I have the factory heated grips and pretty sure that it uses that plug, so I went for the underseat one, and only to use it for relay switching.

Offline julman99

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2016 Africa Twin
Reply #26 on: December 08, 2016, 02:29:29 PM
*Originally Posted by Mister Paul [+]

Check https://www.cb500x.com/index.php/topic,3095.msg39012.htm

Offline Mister Paul

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
Reply #27 on: December 08, 2016, 05:49:01 PM

Thanks. I'd seen that. It's not clear which fixings he had to remove.

Another question -if I was to look at the bike from the side and the plastics were transparent, where would I see the front options plug? I can't even work out where it is within the fairing yet.

Offline julman99

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2016 Africa Twin
Reply #28 on: December 08, 2016, 11:27:52 PM
You need to remove the side panel first, the one that is textured and goes from under the seat to the tank. That one you remove by removing the chromed bolt that is in the center of the panel, and a second dark bolt that is at the front section of the panel. Then just pull the panel and it should come off. Sometimes the rubber mounts of this panel like to fall off the bike when you remove it. Make sure you don't loose them, double check when installing it back on the bike.

Second, you need to remove the fairing that is on the side of the tank. This one is more tricky and I dont remeber of all the bolts. I know there is one on the top, one at the front near the radiator and there is also a tricky plastic clip on the inside. Just look around the fairing, you will see them.

Once you remove all the bolts, removing the actual fairing is the tricky part. The way you remove it is by sliding it to the front of the bike (and a bit upwards). For some people is easy, for some other like me, one side of the bike was easy (left) the other was stuck as hell, but I managed to remove it with patience. To access the option plug you only need to remove the right side.

Once you remove that panel, look inside the front fairing. In the picture I highlighted where the plug is, inside that transparent plastic/rubber thing. The plastic/rubber thing might be inside the fairing, just stick your fingers in there and pull it out.

Offline Tod.

• CB500X Pro
  • Welsh, by the grace of God
Reply #29 on: December 09, 2016, 05:29:18 AM
My options plug was sited a bit further up than that. Couldn't even get to it until I took the clocks off. Even then there was no give in the cable to pull it down further. So I cut it off and soldered leads to it so I can use it to switch power to a relay for my spotlights which I've yet to fit.

victorious-backstage