Author Topic: Rally Raid Level 3 with centre stand.  (Read 3242 times)

Offline Thisll do

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CB500X 2016 L3RR
Rally Raid Level 3 with centre stand.
on: December 21, 2016, 04:24:24 PM
 I realise that many Level 3 owners use their bikes off road, and for them a centre stand is unwelcome weight and has to take second place to the Rally Raid sump guard.
But as I went for the Level 3 to benefit from the cushier ride, larger front wheel, and lets be honest, the spoked wheels, I wanted a centre stand. I knew the standard item would be too short, and was unsure if it was extended, would it foul the side stand, or anything else. As I managed to get an unused centre stand kit cheaply, I took the chance.
It was easy to detemine that the legs needed extending about 60mm. I chose to weld the extensions on so that they were parralel to each other rather than contiuing to slay further outwards. On trial fitting, this proved Ok on the off side, (as we say in the UK) but on the near side the extension needed to be angled out a little way to clear the side stand. I then made a new prong to stand on to lever the bike onto the stand.
I thought this might be useful info for anybody else wanting a centre stand to work with RR Level 3 mods.
I picked the stand up from the powder coater's today and I have the pivot tube, the rubber buffer and the spring, but I cannot find a picture anywhere of where the centre stand spring hooks onto the frame. Could sombody point me in the right direction please.

Offline Ceddy17

• CB500X Pro
  • Ed
Re: Rally Raid Level 3 with centre stand.
Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 05:26:06 PM
Here is a picture of a 2016 model where the springs are connected.
Ed.
... don't concentrate on the finger ...  Stay Safe  ...

Offline John1411

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2016 in red
Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 05:43:38 PM
Might be something for Rally Raid to do as you've proved the concept.

Offline Thisll do

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 05:52:16 PM
Thanks Ceddy, now I know what to look for.

Offline Irishrover

• CB500X God
  • Bike: CB500X/CB400SF
Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 06:06:48 PM
Honda must have strengthened up the centre stand spring as I only have the one.
Bikes: Honda CB500X. Honda CB400SF. Vespa GTS300

Offline Thisll do

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 06:53:32 PM
I thought it looked different. Mine is just a single spring.

Offline japes1275

• CB500X Master
Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 07:19:16 PM
Thanks for the info, good to know for future reference. Mine only has one Spring which I thought strange at the time (2013) as my TA had two. I thought they used two not only to make a stronger Spring but also for safety in case one broke.

Offline Ceddy17

• CB500X Pro
  • Ed
Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 09:28:49 PM
It is a centerstand via SW-Motech. Did come with the double spring.
Had to saw off a piece of the fairing underneath in order to fit it, but it won't show so no worries there.
Still happy I installed it.
Ed.
... don't concentrate on the finger ...  Stay Safe  ...

Offline acap650

• CB500X Newbie
Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 12:53:42 PM
*Originally Posted by Thisll do [+]
I realise that many Level 3 owners use their bikes off road, and for them a centre stand is unwelcome weight and has to take second place to the Rally Raid sump guard.
But as I went for the Level 3 to benefit from the cushier ride, larger front wheel, and lets be honest, the spoked wheels, I wanted a centre stand. I knew the standard item would be too short, and was unsure if it was extended, would it foul the side stand, or anything else. As I managed to get an unused centre stand kit cheaply, I took the chance.
It was easy to detemine that the legs needed extending about 60mm. I chose to weld the extensions on so that they were parralel to each other rather than contiuing to slay further outwards. On trial fitting, this proved Ok on the off side, (as we say in the UK) but on the near side the extension needed to be angled out a little way to clear the side stand. I then made a new prong to stand on to lever the bike onto the stand.
I thought this might be useful info for anybody else wanting a centre stand to work with RR Level 3 mods.
I picked the stand up from the powder coater's today and I have the pivot tube, the rubber buffer and the spring, but I cannot find a picture anywhere of where the centre stand spring hooks onto the frame. Could sombody point me in the right direction please.

Please post a photo of your modified stand.  I'm helping a friend prep a bike for the RR Lev III kit and he insists on having a center stand  that works in conjunction with the Lev III side stand.  Thanks.

Offline ADVPETE

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: CB500X RallyRaid
Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 03:15:01 PM
Very interesting!  My bike (2014) had the Honda center stand on it when I bought it.  I removed it when I built up the bike with a full RR kit. I've been tripping over the stand in the garage ever since.
   I often wish the bike still had the center stand. Off-road I am glad it's not there for weight and clearance reasons.   For more casual riding and tours, as well as for servicing the bike, I really miss having a center stand. 
    Does the bike still "rock up" onto the stand easily? I've had other bikes where the geometry was changed and the bike was a real b*%#h to get onto the stand.  With the extra 60cm, how far off the ground is the rear wheel when the bike is in the stand?
   I'd like to see some pics.  I just might have to get out the sawzall and the welder.

victorious-backstage