Author Topic: DIY add on screen deflectors  (Read 3862 times)

Offline OzGuitar

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
DIY add on screen deflectors
on: January 01, 2017, 01:22:48 AM
 Had a couple of people ask for the template for the deflectors I made for my X, so here it is.

This fits my particular setup which is on 2014 CB500X with a 2016 screen and a Palmer Products screen mount, and they're mounted using some 3M double sided tape (the really sticky kind)

The deflector is actually made from the cover of an A4 display book, the sort you'd find at an office supply store. See link: http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/c/office-supplies/document-filing-presentation/display-books-refills/display-books?cm_sp=Mega_Menu_Category-_-BTS-_-Display_Books

I've scanned the drawing in, just print it out A4 size and it should be 1:1 scale. See pics for where I mounted them.

Dave

Template:

Screen setup:

Offline CB-500-X

• CB500X God-zilla
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X
Re: DIY add on screen deflectors
Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 07:15:08 PM
 :460: :028:

Offline horobags

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: cb 500x
Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 06:36:57 PM
have they fell off yet??

Offline OzGuitar

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 11:36:07 PM
*Originally Posted by horobags [+]
have they fell off yet??

After I put them on I rode from Melbourne to Brisbane and back again, no problem at all. (Approx. 3,500km round trip)
 If you use good quality 3M double sided tape you shouldn't have any issues.

Offline CB-500-X

• CB500X God-zilla
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X
Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 02:58:48 AM
What part is this Oz ?

Offline OzGuitar

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 05:21:30 AM
*Originally Posted by CB-500-X [+]
What part is this Oz ?

That's part of the Palmer Products screen mount (optional) that allows you to block off the airflow that comes up directly below the screen.

Offline Thisll do

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: CB500X 2016 L3RR
Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 10:01:13 AM
I'm glad this post came up again. I 'd been meaning to do something of this sort as the X is my sole form of transport and in these nasty (by UK standards) weather conditions I have to get down to Somerset this afternoon and then from there to North wales on Sunday and home again to Essex on Tuesday. My riding gear is well up to the cold and the wet, but even with heated grips and bark busters, my warmest gloves are no longer completely warm enough or weather proof.
So this morning, with a couple of neutral tinted file covers, I'll see what I can do. Not a shred of 3M tape in the house! But I'm thinking of a sort of handlebar muff extension to the bark busters, secured with cable ties. Its unlikely to be elegant, but It should work.
3 hours to departure time. That's a great incentive!

Offline Thisll do

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: CB500X 2016 L3RR
Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 12:09:22 PM
2 hours, dead on and job done. I don't know how to post photos and my phones on charge. But maybe if I email pics to a member, when I get back, they could put them on the forum.
Think of them as plastic handlbar muffs, file covers cut about and stiched with cable ties and cable tied to the bark busters. No holes drilled, no sticky tape. They look what they are, a lash up job, but with gaffer tape to seal the seams, they'll do. Next few days will prove whether the work and hold together.

Offline horobags

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: cb 500x
Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 12:35:26 PM
*Originally Posted by OzGuitar [+]
After I put them on I rode from Melbourne to Brisbane and back again, no problem at all. (Approx. 3,500km round trip)
 If you use good quality 3M double sided tape you shouldn't have any issues.
thanks Oz, I'm going to have a go at making a pair, doubt the finished product will look as good as yours, but will be a good add-on for the British winter. :016:

Offline Nortoon

• Ex Member
  • CB500X Master
Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 02:13:15 PM
*Originally Posted by Thisll do [+]
My riding gear is well up to the cold and the wet, but even with heated grips and bark busters, my warmest gloves are no longer completely warm enough or weather proof. But I'm thinking of a sort of handlebar muff extension to the bark busters, secured with cable ties.

When you spoke of handlebar muffs, I thought you meant these handlebar mittens as California Scientific call them.

I knew a couple that used these on their Harleys to drive from Ottawa to Daytona Beach for Bike Week in February. February is the coldest month of our long winters. It is tough enough being outdoors without having to deal with a 100 - 110 KPH (60 - 70 MPH) wind chill. But they went every year. Harry knew of these things because he owned a successful motorcycle dealership before retiring.

I ride for pleasure only, so I don't ride during the winter. But I do walk the local nature trail daily. Insulated leather gloves are useless below -10C even when just walking an hour. I wear suede insulated deerskin work gloves down to -20C. Colder than that I use nylon insulated mittens. Having you fingers together in a large air space keeps them warm.

Winter boots and gloves should be slightly larger than you normally wear so there is a warm air space. Bigger boots allow for felt inner soles and bulky socks.

When I returned to motorcycling after a 25 year hiatus, I was real keen the first year and rode in November. I learned to wear layers of clothing. My leather jacket was next to useless as the cold air crept though the zippers and up the small of my back. I bought a fiber filled long sleeve vest that I wore under my leather jack to fix that.

T-shirts were replaced with long sleeve turtle necks with flannel shirts overtop. I left the turtle neck unrolled instead of wearing a balaclava. Long underwear and flannel lined jeans were a must. I bought my Cabelas' (an American sports store) flannel lined jeans an extra 2 inches long to keep the wind from climbing up my shins when I sat on the bike. Oddly enough you can buy these jeans in Florida and California, but not Canada. ???

Here is a trick my wife and I learned when touring on our Goldwing. When the weather turned damp and cold, even if it was not raining, we wore our rain suits over warm clothes. It breaks the wind and keeps the cold and damp out. I had to stop and don mine one miserable November day.