Author Topic: DIY add on screen deflectors  (Read 3860 times)

Offline Tod.

• CB500X Pro
  • Welsh, by the grace of God
Re: DIY add on screen deflectors
Reply #10 on: January 15, 2017, 08:47:22 PM
*Originally Posted by Thisll do [+]
I'm glad this post came up again. I 'd been meaning to do something of this sort as the X is my sole form of transport and in these nasty (by UK standards) weather conditions I have to get down to Somerset this afternoon and then from there to North wales on Sunday and home again to Essex on Tuesday. My riding gear is well up to the cold and the wet, but even with heated grips and bark busters, my warmest gloves are no longer completely warm enough or weather proof.
So this morning, with a couple of neutral tinted file covers, I'll see what I can do. Not a shred of 3M tape in the house! But I'm thinking of a sort of handlebar muff extension to the bark busters, secured with cable ties. Its unlikely to be elegant, but It should work.
3 hours to departure time. That's a great incentive!

I use the A13 on a daily basis, all year round, and I've always used Tucson Urbano muffs in the winter, along with heated grips. And the set up I have now on the CB500X is the dogs danglies. Easy to fit and remove when the weather gets back to warmer times. They're not cheap at about 40, but I've never had wet gloves or cold hands, and I don't give a toss if people don't like them. I could go down the route of fabricating and fitting wind deflectors, but why bother?

Offline Thisll do

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: CB500X 2016 L3RR
Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 05:33:55 PM
I'm familiar with Turcano Urbano and, yes they are really good. But my X has Barkbusters  with the plastic shields. I tried adapting an old pair of Urbanos, but couldn't make it work.
Returning from my trip today , My shields worked well, though not as snug as Urbanos. However the shields do leave the standard switch gear, Oxford heated grip control and an extra spotlight switch easy to see and reach. They kept some heavy rain off my gloves, and with the heated grips my hands stayed warm, despite the very cold wind. Also they stayed firmly in place and did not flap about. So they are staying on until the spring comes.

Offline Tod.

• CB500X Pro
  • Welsh, by the grace of God
Reply #12 on: January 18, 2017, 12:37:43 PM
If Barkbusters work for you, stick with them. I toyed with the idea, then went with what I have experience of. Muffs. The Moto Guzzi GRiSO I had,  wind deflectors from a Stelvio fitted easy. They were very good in spring, summer, but no way was I riding that beast in the winter.

Offline Thisll do

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: CB500X 2016 L3RR
Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 01:19:19 PM
I should clarify:
I mentioned the shields that come as part of the Bark Busters, but the shields I have added, made out of plastic document folders, are in adition to those and produce something very like a handlebar muff but are open on the inner side, which is well sheilded by the bike's screen, and this gives about 70% the effectiveness of conventional muffs, but with easier access to the switch gear.
I agree that the BarkBuster shields on their own give very little useful protection on their own.
Again, if another member could offer to post some photos, they could send me a "pm" with their email, and I could send them pictures which they could then add to this thread.