Author Topic: Doing cheap suspension upgrade (racetech forks and GSXR shock) - Tips?  (Read 25845 times)

Offline Lysdexic

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: CB500XA
Re: Doing cheap suspension upgrade (racetech forks and GSXR shock) - T
Reply #80 on: December 07, 2020, 01:50:21 AM
*Originally Posted by Oyabun [+]
I stand corrected. It is only a bit over 100 EUR less cost for exactly the same quality and slightly more functionality (added ride height) then. This was the ontopic and relevant part of your post this time. The rest is marketing.
I believe Wilbers is an equally well known name when it comes to suspension.
Nobody has disputed that RR made a great package for the X, but this topic is specificly discussing alternatives. At least it was doing that last time I've checked.
With all respect to John and you, and I really think  I'm one of the inmates who had only positively commented on the quality of the RR offering even  though I go a different way - it is quite boring (or I should rather annoying) that pretty much every time when any alternative is discussed all of a sudden you turn them to a RR marketing thread. Don't get me wrong you also give much more valuable contribution to this community than many others. This was not one of those.
It starts to feel like my childhood living in a communist state. There are elections every four years. But only one party to vote for, and one can think freely as long as thinks the same way as "Our kind leader".

I'm willing to bet that if you were to constantly post cheaper options on the Rally Raid forum here some people would get upset

Offline phattanglo

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: CB500X 2013
Reply #81 on: December 29, 2020, 08:41:50 AM
I'm going to be getting a new replacement shock eventually but I am interested in all things mechanical and wondered what the difference is between the CBR shock and the STD cbx shock.
I realise the cbx is not rebuildable but it looks very similar to the 99/2000 CBR shock and I can't understand what makes that model rebuildable.
I can see where shocks with threaded preload adjusters would dismantle relatively easily but the old CBR shock looks to have a ramp adjuster like the cbx.
Or am I looking at the wrong version?

Offline Oyabun

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: 13 500XA, 16 FA
Reply #82 on: December 29, 2020, 09:06:28 AM
Pretty much all shocks can have the spring removed and changed with the help of a spring compressor. The adjustment method of spring preload doesn't do anything with the rebuildability of the shock.
What matters if the main body of the shock can be opened with non-destructive methods, to change seals, refresh oil and re-valve damping.
Sonthe difference is that the cbr600 F4 shock can be opened without machining the case while the cbx shock is pressed together to be a simple and cheap one time use sealed unit.

Offline phattanglo

• CB500X Member
Sorry to be so persistent, but after browsing a list of YSS shocks I notice the 96/97 fireblade is also 310 mm long and seems to have the same bolt diameter and width on the ends as the earlier models.
Is there something about this version that makes it incompatible?
I appreciate it would still need a new spring but It's all very intriguing.
Unfortunately the more I consult my finances, the more it's becoming apparent I'll have to go down the DIY route but I think I would quite like to have a go at servicing a Honda shock.
It seems the end cap and spring adaptors from Racetech from the US would be around 40/50 and a spring from Faulkner in the UK again would be around 40.
Though strangely a company in the UK called Demon Tweeks sell Faulkner springs cheaper than Faulkner do! Go figure.
It would be down to the cost of a donor shock to rebuild and a quart of oil.
There's plenty of light industry around my locale, I'm sure I could find someone to gas the shock afterwards.
Anyway it's something to consider but practically anything must be an improvement on the OEM shock
Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 03:01:45 PM by phattanglo

Offline Oyabun

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: 13 500XA, 16 FA
*Originally Posted by phattanglo [+]
Sorry to be so persistent, but after browsing a list of YSS shocks I notice the 96/97 fireblade is also 310 mm long and seems to have the same bolt diameter and width on the ends as the earlier models.
Is there something about this version that makes it incompatible?
It has a shorter stroke than what is needed for our bikes, and has completely different damping characteristic due to the different linkage ratio of the bikes.
A rebuild of an over 20 year old shock is far more than just an oil change and "just regassing it at some industrial place".
As that shock is also a non traveled route - and you don't seem to have the knowledge and tools to do it yourself I'd stay away from that method.

Realistically the used YSS shock I've linked before is a much better option than rebuilding an unknown mileage old shock what had been made for another bike - and considering parts, work and effort much probably in the same ballpark cost wise also.

Offline phattanglo

• CB500X Member
Excellent info as usual Oyabun.
Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 04:53:47 PM by phattanglo

Offline phattanglo

• CB500X Member
So I bought the YSS shock you recommended Oyabun and I'll leave on the 100Nm spring and see how it feels.
I'm happy with a black spring so if I need a 110Nm it is only 31 from Demon tweeks which I think is a real bargain.
Bless my wife who said I'll treat you darling 😁

Offline phattanglo

• CB500X Member
Just to clarify when I receive the shock do I set the damper adjusters at the middle of their range and work from there?

Online CBRDEAN0

• CB500X Pro
*Originally Posted by phattanglo [+]
Just to clarify when I receive the shock do I set the damper adjusters at the middle of their range and work from there?

Generally they come set based on the weight you gave them when you ordered it.

First job is to check the SAG of the rear suspension.

Then try it and decide if the damping needs to be harder or softer

Offline phattanglo

• CB500X Member
Sadly it's not brand new so I will have to start from scratch.
Frankly any setting will be better than the OEM shock and until we get some warm, dry weather my foot pegs are going nowhere near the road  surface😁 so time to tweak later.

victorious-backstage