Author Topic: Those are not Philips screws on your bike. They are JIS.  (Read 4618 times)

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God-zilla
  • Topic Author
Japanese products do not use Philips head fasteners. They use JIS or J.I.S. known as Japanese Industrial Standard. The problem most people experience when using a Philips screwdriver in a JIS screw is cam out also known as "striping out" the screw head. A Philips screwdriver can't deliver the torque to the entire seat of the JIS screw. It barely catches the corners and thus rounds out the seat when the screwdriver is turned. The reason is the length and angle of the screwdriver tip versus the seat of the JIS screw head. A Philips screw head has a tiny bit steeper angle and a deeper seat. The JIS screw has a shallower and a slightly less steeply angled seat. Looking at the screwdrivers side by side shows this. However, when it comes to the larger JIS, sometimes referred to as a number 3, #3, or 3x100mm, there's a neat trick if you can't find the larger size JIS screwdriver. A #3 Philips is so close to fitting that it's not hard to make it fit. All that's need is a bit of filing or grinding of the tip. It needs just enough to put a small flat on the tip. Is it a perfect fit, no, but in a pinch, it works.

Here's a link to the screwdrivers I have.
https://www.amazon.com/Hozan-JIS-4-JIS-Screwdriver-3rd/dp/B00A7WAHTU/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1514669051&sr=8-1&keywords=jis+screwdriver&linkCode=ll1&tag=manicycl-20&linkId=ba552891d76f877b14f757aaba4a1423

And a pic of the difference in screwdrivers.

Offline CB-500-X

• CB500X God-zilla
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X
Re: Those are not Philips screws on your bike. They are JIS.
Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 11:31:34 PM
 :460:  :047:

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God-zilla
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 01:21:05 AM
Thanks.  :821:

Offline Oyabun

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: 13 500XA, 16 FA
Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 09:50:03 AM
Great post. Just one addition.
All Phillips looking heads can be manipulated with a JIS screwdriver, but a Phillips tool will cam out from a JIS head.
All Honda screws are JIS, but otherwise one can identify a jis screw head by a dot on the head - although not all screws are marked.
Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 09:54:16 AM by Oyabun

Offline jsonder

• CB500X God
  • Bike: Honda CB500XA
Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 02:55:06 PM
I personally prefer the Vessel brand JIS screwdrivers; but, they do cost a bit more.
John  '14CB500XA (Daily Rider),  '09CRF230L (L'il Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God-zilla
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 06:26:25 PM
*Originally Posted by jsonder [+]
I personally prefer the Vessel brand JIS screwdrivers; but, they do cost a bit more.

I agree fully. A friend has a set and they are nice. If I ever get into doing a lot of work again, I'll upgrade to Vessel. For now, the Hozan work great and they're more cost-effective for the home repair peoples.

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God-zilla
  • Topic Author
Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 06:35:05 PM
*Originally Posted by Oyabun [+]
Great post. Just one addition.
All Phillips looking heads can be manipulated with a JIS screwdriver, but a Phillips tool will cam out from a JIS head.
All Honda screws are JIS, but otherwise one can identify a jis screw head by a dot on the head - although not all screws are marked.

On another forum, there was a discussion about JIS going away in 2008 and being replaced by DIN 5260-PH. Do you have any info on this? To be quite honest, if this is true, I think it's just a new designation for JIS. Maybe it's for general industry and doesn't apply to motorcycle manufacturers. I'll quote what I found on talk wiki and post a link to the page.

*Originally Posted by Talk Wiki
It appears that JIS is out & replaced by DIN 5260-PH? I don't know how equivalent they are, or just close enough, or if perhaps its similar to Phillips.

Q: Why VESSEL's screwdrivers are not labeled “JIS”?

As you might know, VESSEL is the oldest screwdriver manufacturer in Japan, and made a contribution to set a JIS standard. We do follow JIS standard for cross point screwdrivers. Because the technology to manufacture screwdrivers in Japan had already become above a certain level, JIS recognition system for screwdrivers became extinct in 2008. So there is no authorized JIS manufacturer now, and we therefore cannot print "JIS" mark on our screwdrivers.

Important: Vessel is making the 1/4" drive bits we carry to DIN Standard #5260. They are NOT true JIS per se. However, we have tested them extensively here and have determined that due to the tight corner radius on these bits (a key ingredient differentiating JIS from Phillips standards), they fit JIS fasteners that you will encounter perfectly.

Quote taken from the JIS section on this link.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:List_of_screw_drives

Offline CB-500-X

• CB500X God-zilla
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X
Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 12:41:18 AM
Interesting reading on webbike world website about JIS standard screwdrivers  :187:

https://www.webbikeworld.com/hozan-jis-screwdrivers-review/

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God-zilla
  • Topic Author
Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 01:53:20 AM
*Originally Posted by CB-500-X [+]
Interesting reading on webbike world website about JIS standard screwdrivers  :187:

https://www.webbikeworld.com/hozan-jis-screwdrivers-review/

Pretty much what I quoted above, just said in a long drawn out blog post. There is a clear difference between a true JIS driver and a Philips. These new DIN 5260 drivers are different than a Philips but not any noticeable difference from JIS. There may be a difference if they're measured out.  :027:

Online VDZ

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: 2014 CB500xa
Reply #9 on: January 01, 2018, 02:37:03 PM
Great post, thanks.
I had always assumed I was just dealing with poor quality Chinese fasteners not being aware of the JIS standard.