Author Topic: Battery sale for those in need.  (Read 2164 times)

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God-zilla
  • Topic Author
Battery sale for those in need.
on: March 12, 2018, 07:38:47 PM
I know a lot of guys have been having battery issues. There's a big sale on Scorpion AGM batteries right now for $41.95 with no tax with free priority shipping. The oldest one I had lasted over five years. It would have made it longer had I not neglected to put the trickle charger on it while I was away from motorcycling for a year. These are OE style replacement batteries. I have no affiliation with this company. I'm just a thoroughly satisfied customer. They have stood behind their products and sales the one time I had an issue.

https://www.batterystuff.com/powersports-batteries/sYTZ10S.html

Offline jsonder

• CB500X God
  • Bike: Honda CB500XA
Re: Battery sale for those in need.
Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 03:12:59 PM
As my battery will have been used by me for 4 years on April Fools Day, I decided to order a replacement, trickle charge it upon receipt, and install it as a birthday present for the bike.

Thanks ben2go.
John  '14CB500XA (Daily Rider),  '09CRF230L (L'il Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God-zilla
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 05:06:48 PM
*Originally Posted by jsonder [+]
As my battery will have been used by me for 4 years on April Fools Day, I decided to order a replacement, trickle charge it upon receipt, and install it as a birthday present for the bike.

Thanks ben2go.

You're welcome. I am thinking about the same thing, except my birthday will be a bit further out. My battery isn't exactly failing, but it isn't holding a charge as long as it used to. After about 60 days, it has to be charged or jump started. It may be the really bad cold we've had this winter killing the battery.

Offline jsonder

• CB500X God
Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 05:18:09 PM
I know that once the battery starts having problems holding a charge, the strain on the bike's charging system usually goes up and you start looking at increasing failure rates in the regulator/rectifier and/or alternator.  So my bike gets it's birthday present to prevent such problems.   :164:

Offline Irishrover

• CB500X God
  • Bike: CB500X/CB400SF
Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 07:47:33 PM
I replaced mine with a Motobatt which are made in the USA, the double set of terminals on it are handy for connecting those extra electrical accessories. The original was almost 5 years old.
That was a Delboys Garage recommendation. Preventative maintenance.  :007:
Bikes: Honda CB500X. Honda CB400SF. Vespa GTS300

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God-zilla
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 01:04:34 PM
I know that once the battery starts having problems holding a charge, the strain on the bike's charging system usually goes up and you start looking at increasing failure rates in the regulator/rectifier and/or alternator.  So my bike gets it's birthday present to prevent such problems.   :164:

That's true.

Offline jsonder

• CB500X God
Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 07:42:00 PM
Battery arrived today, I trickle charged it and installed it.  Bike started and clock reset.  All is good!

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God-zilla
  • Topic Author
Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 10:35:54 PM
Battery arrived today, I trickle charged it and installed it.  Bike started and clock reset.  All is good!

:082:

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God-zilla
  • Topic Author
Reply #8 on: March 24, 2018, 06:03:50 PM
It seems my battery is good. After sitting through winter deep freeze we had, my bike started without hesitation last week. I am surprised as I didn't use my battery tender.  :028:

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God-zilla
  • Topic Author
Reply #9 on: April 03, 2018, 08:52:00 PM
I forgot to add my update. I jinxed myself.  :192:

I went on a ride the middle of last week. I got about 20 miles deep in the woods. I look down at my voltmeter and it's slowly dropping. I made a U-turn and hauled out of there. It's 60 miles from the urn off back to home, so I was almost 80 miles away. I kept the RPMs up over 5000. That kept the battery between 13.6 and 14 volts. At idle it would start to tank quick. I stopped by a parts store a friend manages. We tested the battery. It was at 14.0v when I got there and by the time we were done, it was around 11.6 volts. The test showed the battery wouldn't take a load. So I am off to buy a new Scorpion battery. As much as I like Scorpion batteries, I wasn't prepared for this expense. I guess I'll miss lunch this week. Maybe I'll lose a little weight and be faster  :745:

victorious-backstage