Author Topic: SW-Motech question about side racks  (Read 4352 times)

Offline manray

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: CB500X
Re: SW-Motech question about side racks
Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 07:48:24 AM
I purchased both versions and they were visually identical.  I returned one, kept the other to fit on my 2017.  Very straigtforward install except for the upper bolt mount (see pic).  I didn't have a small enough screw driver to twist on the "Quick Lock" fasteners on both sides given space was so tight so I decided to use permanent bolts from Caribou Luggage (link below) to attach my racks instead.  I lose the "Quick Lock" feature but the racks are now more sturdy and a bit more theft proof.

http://cariboucases.com/Accessories-and-Spares/caribou-hard-bolt-kit-for-lock-it-and-quick-lock-racks-6-pc.html

Offline Jamie Z

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2019 ABS
Reply #11 on: March 25, 2020, 12:00:08 AM
*Originally Posted by manray [+]
I decided to use permanent bolts from Caribou Luggage (link below) to attach my racks instead.  I lose the "Quick Lock" feature but the racks are now more sturdy and a bit more theft proof.
I'm interested in doing this. Did you have to drill out the holes on the racks? Looks like standard hardware. Any special parts I couldn't order online or elsewhere?

[edit] Looks like there's some sort of recessed washer included, so not off-the-shelf parts.
Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 12:01:04 AM by Jamie Z

Offline manray

• CB500X Pro
Reply #12 on: March 25, 2020, 02:35:31 AM
You don't have to modify anything....no drilling etc.  All you need is the bolt/spacer kit from Caribou.  Bolts and nuts are generic but the spacers are unique (custom).  When you get the kit you will see what I mean.  If you ever require the SW Motech quick release option, 15 minutes is all it takes to remove the permanent Caribou bolts.  You then just substitude in their place the 6 SW Motech quick lock bolts. 
Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 02:40:46 AM by manray

Offline Jamie Z

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2019 ABS
Reply #13 on: March 25, 2020, 02:43:59 AM
Thanks for the quick response.

Looks like I might go ahead and order the parts from Caribou. The company is located about 20 miles from me anyway.

Offline manray

• CB500X Pro
Reply #14 on: March 25, 2020, 02:53:37 AM
Just pick it up and save shipping.  You can call, pay ahead and pickup without coming in contact with anyone.  I also repled on ADV to your camping setup.   

Offline ncroadtoad

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2013 CB500X
Reply #15 on: March 25, 2020, 11:18:36 AM
*Originally Posted by manray [+]
You don't have to modify anything....no drilling etc.  All you need is the bolt/spacer kit from Caribou.  Bolts and nuts are generic but the spacers are unique (custom).  When you get the kit you will see what I mean.  If you ever require the SW Motech quick release option, 15 minutes is all it takes to remove the permanent Caribou bolts.  You then just substitude in their place the 6 SW Motech quick lock bolts.

I did the same thing to mine, except I used generic bolts and washers as spacers. The Caribou option is probably a bit neater looking. All for naught though, at least for now, as I have removed them and added them to my pile of unused motorcycle parts. Giving soft luggage a try.
Just damn happy to be here...

Offline manray

• CB500X Pro
Reply #16 on: March 25, 2020, 06:38:09 PM
*Originally Posted by ncroadtoad [+]
I did the same thing to mine, except I used generic bolts and washers as spacers. The Caribou option is probably a bit neater looking. All for naught though, at least for now, as I have removed them and added them to my pile of unused motorcycle parts. Giving soft luggage a try.

I don't know how you did that without damaging the SW Motech teeth on the insides of the bar attachment.  The stamped teeth don't provide a flat surface for a generic washer to lay flat.  The Caribou washers are a bit wider, thicker and hollowed out in the center to clear the SW Motech teeth.  In reality you could tighten down on generic bolt, washer and nut but I'd double check the SW Motech teeth on your rack in the event they have been deformed by the clamping force.  The 2 little pins on each "quick lock" bolt require a precise fit otherwise they are not secure.
Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 06:42:37 PM by manray

Offline ncroadtoad

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2013 CB500X
Reply #17 on: March 25, 2020, 08:38:37 PM
Oh, I might have damaged them, didn't care though as I never saw myself using the quick release function. What I did was use a few washers that were large enough to slip over the teeth, to fill the gap, then used one sized for the bolt between the rack and the bike. It wasn't pretty, but it was secure.

By-the-way, I'm not recommending this approach. I didn't know about the Caribou washers, just using what I had to get the job done.

Cheers
Just damn happy to be here...

Offline manray

• CB500X Pro
Reply #18 on: March 25, 2020, 10:36:40 PM
*Originally Posted by ncroadtoad [+]
Oh, I might have damaged them, didn't care though as I never saw myself using the quick release function. What I did was use a few washers that were large enough to slip over the teeth, to fill the gap, then used one sized for the bolt between the rack and the bike. It wasn't pretty, but it was secure.

By-the-way, I'm not recommending this approach. I didn't know about the Caribou washers, just using what I had to get the job done.

Cheers

That's a very clever solution and I can imagine that working the same.  So, unless it's not possible to buy the Caribou bolts, your solution is a workable alternative.

Offline Rogalik_Gr

• CB500X Member
Reply #19 on: April 29, 2020, 10:28:50 AM
here i want to ask about this racks (carriers), actually whole the set.
before you fit it, did you have the original honda side handles for passanger or the original "tail" with can hold the top case? why i am asking... from the begining i taked out the handles for passenger and put the original honda "tail" as a holder for top case. Very solid and nice btw. I put Givi top case on that rack. now i bought SW Trax adv side cases and evo side carriers for them. and here appears a problem :
the bases where the side carriers must be hold (inside, under the seet) can't be used for fit the original "tail" i already have. or if we look from different side - the SW carriers can't be fit on original honda bases.
any comments wellcome.

victorious-backstage