Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: How much chain cleaner do you use each time?  (Read 2405 times)

Offline UnmzldOx

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
  • City / Town: Deep South
Re: How much chain cleaner do you use each time?
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2019, 01:35:31 AM »
A 2 inch wide paint roller, transmission fluid, three passes on side, bottom and side while spinning the wheel, every commute or 50 miles. Takes 3 minutes.

Online Superplasma

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Brombough
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2019, 09:32:18 AM »
*Originally Posted by Irishrover [+]
Never really clean my chain either.
I used to have a Tutoro and a Lubeman and they never worked. Now I use the recommended gear oil every 300 miles or so.

Yes thats what I all ways do, have try'ed lots of chain oilers in the past and like you say they never work as good as puting gear oil on with a old sock.

Superplasma

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2019, 09:50:13 AM »
Every commute.....every 50 miles......every 300 miles.... I obviously don't lube my chain nearly enough!!   :008:
The Story So Far.........
2017-2019: 12000mls recreational use - 89.73mpg UK; 74.72mpg US; 3.15litres/100km

Offline richardbd

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2019, 09:51:30 AM »
*Originally Posted by Irishrover [+]
I used to have a Tutoro and a Lubeman and they never worked.

I always felt the same about oilers until I tried the Cobra Nemo.  Completely different idea.  Manual control and uses gear oil, not some modern concoction.  Does the job nicely...

Offline slowrider

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 500X RR L3
  • City / Town: Kingston
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2019, 10:26:58 AM »

16,500 miles with my Tutoro and no problems with it, it works great.   I have replaced 2 feeder nozzles over that time.   

As the Tutoro drip system does not use much oil I am not too worried about the premium price they charge for their oil, a bottle lasts ages.   I do use the special +25 on my trips down through Morocco, so good to have the choice of different viscosities.   
Having fun with a CB500XA with Rally Raid Level 3 upgrade.

Toured in : 🇬🇧 🇮🇪 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 🇳🇱 🇪🇸 🇮🇹 🇸🇮 🇭🇷🇳🇴 🇩🇰 🇸🇪 🇫🇮 🇲🇦🇵🇹🇧🇪🇱🇺🇬🇮

Offline richardbd

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2019, 10:29:48 AM »
*Originally Posted by slowrider [+]
I do use the special +25 on my trips down through Morocco, so good to have the choice of different viscosities.

How do you cope with the differing temperatures?  On my Beijing trip we had -5 to +38 degrees (once on the same day!).  Differing viscosities is a good idea but only if you're in the same kind of temperature for a while.

That's why I liked the manual nature of the Demo.  Easy to control the flow from the handlebars...

Offline slowrider

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 500X RR L3
  • City / Town: Kingston
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2019, 10:51:47 AM »
I don't need the feed running all the time.  Like your trip, I do experience highs and low's.   I only use the +25 when I know I am going to be experiencing those high temps during the day, so I am not stressed about slow flow in the cold mornings or evenings, the millage will be low compared with travel during the day.   Even in Morocco, you can go from 0 to 40 in one day.

It is a totally different consideration for a trip like yours was.   I just would not want to carry additional oil with me as every cubic cm is precious.   So, in that case, I would just top up with gear oil at the odd garage (whatever form that may be, and they could be very odd) giving them a few coins just to top-up, rather than carry the oil with me.

But yes, as with everything, it is a compromise and each to their own.   
Having fun with a CB500XA with Rally Raid Level 3 upgrade.

Toured in : 🇬🇧 🇮🇪 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 🇳🇱 🇪🇸 🇮🇹 🇸🇮 🇭🇷🇳🇴 🇩🇰 🇸🇪 🇫🇮 🇲🇦🇵🇹🇧🇪🇱🇺🇬🇮

Offline richardbd

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2019, 10:53:32 AM »
*Originally Posted by slowrider [+]
I don't need the feed running all the time.  Like your trip, I do experience highs and low's.   I only use the +25 when I know I am going to be experiencing those high temps during the day, so I am not stressed about slow flow in the cold mornings or evenings, the millage will be low compared with travel during the day.   Even in Morocco, you can go from 0 to 40 in one day.

It is a totally different consideration for a trip like yours was.   I just would not want to carry additional oil with me as every cubic cm is precious.   So, in that case, I would just top up with gear oil at the odd garage (whatever form that may be, and they could be very odd) giving them a few coins just to top-up, rather than carry the oil with me.

But yes, as with everything, it is a compromise and each to their own.

:152: :821:

Offline nbsdave

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2018 500X, ABS
  • City / Town: Sarasota, FL
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2019, 08:12:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by UnmzldOx [+]
A 2 inch wide paint roller, transmission fluid, three passes on side, bottom and side while spinning the wheel, every commute or 50 miles. Takes 3 minutes.

every 50 miles?
I'd have to stop 3 or 4 times every time I ride

Offline UnmzldOx

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
  • City / Town: Deep South
« Reply #39 on: Yesterday at 01:09:42 AM »
Yeh, I just commute. Long trips would take a new approach, probably including a center stand and oil soaked rag. The roller keeps hands and chain clean, but would be bulky.

Recent Topics