Author Topic: the start of making it mine  (Read 27546 times)

Offline Perfictsib

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2017 CB500x
Re: the start of making it mine
Reply #160 on: December 31, 2020, 02:50:15 PM
the bars contacts where the big circle is and the mounting tab contacts where the small circle is.

mounting tab contact patch from underneath, if it was only this i could trim the plastic to clear.

not a very good explanation if the heed sticker bar was straighter and the right side lower bend was lower it would probably clear the panel.

the crash bars and bracket weighs 3.85kg.   (i did not weigh the bolts that came with it as they replace the oe ones so seemed pointless)

the side panel on the 2017 is deeper than the 2013/15 even though it looks narrower because of the coloured infill panel,
i will try and space the crash bars out 5mm or 10mm to clear plastics on another day when the sun is out if i cant get them to clear they will be up for sale.

I would definitely buy another set of heed bars for my bikes very impressed by the quality of the workmanship and the packaging they came in, instructions were clear enough once you read through them once or twice

Offline jrosen007

• CB500X Member
  • 2016 CB500X (first bike!)
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X
Reply #161 on: December 31, 2020, 03:45:58 PM
Thank you SOOOO much for this very detailed review and explanation.  They look like incredible bars, but I will probably go another route, as modifications and extensions seem like they may also cause challenges when it comes to the alignment and mounting where the two sides meet in the middle.

As a side question, did you also get the "lower" bar that looks like it gives ideal protection to the lower engine housing?  That's also something I would consider.

May go with some T-Rex upper frame sliders (the ones with 2 mounting points) https://www.t-rex-racing.com/2013-2019-Honda-CB500X-No-Cut-Frame-Sliders-p/n45-13.htm They do look pretty cool (but I think crash bars look cooler and provide a bit more protection).  The T-Rex crash bars look pretty bulky though.  I'm a bit concerned about the number of problems when it comes to vibration in the Givi bars.  Overall I may consider the combination of separate upper and lower bars (like the factory "light bar" on top and a lower bar/cage)

Would definitely welcome any insight or thoughts you have for a beginner rider on a new bike (any kind of advice from riding techniques, practice drills, mods, safety and gear) feel free to message me directly or post here.

Thanks!
Jonathan

Offline Perfictsib

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2017 CB500x
Reply #162 on: January 01, 2021, 11:38:45 AM
if i were to space the bars out i would have to space the all the mounting points out as well to keep it square.

i didnt get the lower bars as im intending on getting a rr engine guard at a later date.

never had any experience with sliders or crash bungs, though i have seen the good and the bad they can do in the event of a crash depending on they are attached.
i was looking at hepco & becker tank bars and these heed ones, just didnt know which i would receive.

there is two ways to get these crash bars to fit one is alot of work with cutting and welding new tubing in or two is just go and buy 2013 side panels as they are a direct swap.

i remembered jmo heritage build and went looking for it and she fitted later panels to earlier model
https://www.cb500x.com/index.php/topic,4511.msg43716.html#msg43716

and in this one she puts earlier panel on a later model
https://www.cb500x.com/index.php/topic,3864.msg37349.html#msg37349

mmmmmmmmmmmmm
Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 11:43:49 AM by Perfictsib

Offline jrosen007

• CB500X Member
  • 2016 CB500X (first bike!)
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X
Reply #163 on: January 02, 2021, 05:15:20 PM
That's really interesting about the difference in the panels, and now makes total sense.  Seems like swapping a 2015 panel would be the right move to prevent having to do all kinds of mods to make the bars fit.  Protection-wise I'm leaning toward the RR lower engine guard/skid plate, frame sliders, and Barkbusters.  And probably T-Rex engine case covers.

victorious-backstage