Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Stick a fork in me...  (Read 1598 times)

Online AJC500

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
Re: Stick a fork in me...
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2018, 10:19:43 AM »
*Originally Posted by chumleebonus [+]
........riding to work each day, it took the spark out of jumping on my CBX to ride a Mountain Loop on the Weekend.

I kinda know what you mean - a few years back I had a kit car, for fun, then an MGF, for fun, then I got a new Mazda MX5 (Miata) as my only car, commuted in it every day, and the fun wore off!  Mind you, as good as it was, the Mazda was a bit boring, which maybe didn't help....... :016:

The spark is back having a bike again, and I don't have to commute anymore.  :152:
The Story So Far.........

Offline jsonder

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500XA
  • City / Town: Green Valley, AZ
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2018, 03:34:04 PM »
The Miata is boring because it is a modern, reliable MG. 

I have a '99 with the track package.  I ride a motorcycle for fun and for basic transportation, unless the weather is crappy when I leave home..
John  '14CB500XA (Daily Rider),  '09CRF230L (L'il Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster

Online AJC500

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2018, 03:53:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by jsonder [+]
The Miata is boring because it is a modern, reliable MG. 

I didn't choose my words very well, I got bored with it because I used it every day.  It was no longer my weekend treat to myself, although I was an active member of the owners club.....don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing!!  :112:

I also got hit on the motorway when a left hand drive truck changed lane and didn't see me, and had other occasions when I was invisible to van and truck drivers.....that's the trouble with commuting in something so small, and it can take the shine off ownership quite quickly, as Galejt knows from recent experiences on the bike......
The Story So Far.........

Offline Galejt

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '15 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Roanoke, VA
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2018, 08:52:40 PM »
A-yup. The magic is gone. 2015 XA with almost a full Givi package, RRlvl1, PR3's, etc.
Getting it detailed for sale.
Maybe get a dirt bike, something small and thrashable. To treat the itch should it arise again.
Majorly disappointed though. I'm retired, can ride whenever I want. Would like to live a few years longer is all, without devices to assist me eating, walking, pooping etc.
And of course the cager mentality is only going to get worse. WTF is with Nissan's Rouge ads showing drivers taking their hands off the wheel in traffic. Is this really necessary technology? I'd bet good money the drivers are going to fill their hands with something else, phone, food, phone. "I couldn't avoid him your honor, I had a drink and a sandwich in my hands."

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Offline Celeste1178

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
  • City / Town: Yulee, Florida
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2018, 12:07:00 AM »
I'm sorry..... good luck with everything :)

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
  • Wrecked Wrench Motorcyclist
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500XT
  • City / Town: Upstate, SC USA
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2018, 01:13:15 AM »
*Originally Posted by Galejt [+]
A-yup. The magic is gone. 2015 XA with almost a full Givi package, RRlvl1, PR3's, etc.
Getting it detailed for sale.
Maybe get a dirt bike, something small and thrashable. To treat the itch should it arise again.
Majorly disappointed though. I'm retired, can ride whenever I want. Would like to live a few years longer is all, without devices to assist me eating, walking, pooping etc.
And of course the cager mentality is only going to get worse. WTF is with Nissan's Rouge ads showing drivers taking their hands off the wheel in traffic. Is this really necessary technology? I'd bet good money the drivers are going to fill their hands with something else, phone, food, phone. "I couldn't avoid him your honor, I had a drink and a sandwich in my hands."

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

There used to be some good riding around your area. Maybe a Yamaha TW200 or XT250 <(they're fuel injected) and ride some of the old trails.
Artist also known as ben2go.
Current bikes
Six=Suzuki GS500,'00 V Star Classic,'14 CB500X farkled out nicely.
I rescue neglected and battered motorcycles.

Offline bullroarer

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: East Sussex
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2018, 12:58:02 PM »
Comes to us all at some time or other...all the best fella.

Offline Bama_Rider

• CB500X Member
  • Bama_Rider
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Rainsville, AL
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2018, 09:22:11 PM »
If you don't have confidence in your survival skills, it is time to quit.   For the other folks, cars and trucks do not invent new and innovative stupid stuff to do every day.  It's the same stupid stuff over and over.   After a while they are so predictable you can be executing your planned avoidance maneuver whilst pressing the horn button and giving them the finger at the same time.  One of the favorite waysfor motorcyclists to get hit is either side-swiped on a lane change or a left turn in front of them.  For the former, you just don't ride beside other traffic, you surf the gaps.  The left turns are completely predicted, you just assumed they saw you and would wait.  A safe rider assumes they will turn and knows what he will do when they do.  I have seen several fatal accidents.  Never was the road so completely blocked that a bike didn't have a path to avoid crashing.  If you have a plan, you don't panic, you just execute the plan.   Now I have thoroughly jinxed myself and will crash tomorrow.  A wise old motorcyclist from long ago once said that if you ride a motorcycle long enough you will get killed on one.  The task is to ride safely enough that old age gets you first.   And, as my late Dad used to say, "we're all gonna die of something".
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 09:41:14 PM by Bama_Rider »
12 FJR1300
03 Duc 800SS
15 CB500X

Offline jsonder

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500XA
  • City / Town: Green Valley, AZ
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2018, 09:35:55 PM »
We all have different tolerances for risk.  Mine are not that high, but, I live in a semi-rural retirement community, and the cars usually attack you slowly.   :008:

I am working on that old age cause of death, while still riding a few thousand miles per year.  You have to enjoy it while you can.  However, when I was young I rode year round in Evanston, Illinois, and later commuted into downtown Atlanta on my wife's CB350.  I would not dream of doing either of those things today, at 76 years of age.
John  '14CB500XA (Daily Rider),  '09CRF230L (L'il Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster

Offline Galejt

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '15 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Roanoke, VA
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2018, 07:55:58 PM »
Okay.  [insert sad meme face]

I got back on it. Only for about a 100 miles or so. On the BRP only.
I had to. My sister's horse BEHEMOTH tossed me a few years ago. I was gonna run for it, but she met me with a pitchfork and said I either "get back on or get stuck!"
I learned a valuable lesson that day. Hide the pitchforks!

Thank you for the kind words. Still very apprehensive.
Excuse me while I go squat to pee...

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage