Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: GIVI Side Case Mount  (Read 980 times)

Offline IDAHORDRIDER

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Bike: VStrom,CB500X
  • City / Town: Meridian
GIVI Side Case Mount
« on: June 30, 2018, 04:00:48 PM »
Hi, I'm planning to mount the GIVI PL1121 side case mount on my 2017 CB500X (I already have the GIVI top case mount) and am wondering if anyone can tell me about mounting the exhaust downspout to the stock muffler.  The kit comes with the downspout, spacers, and bolts but I find no bolt holes and I see that the end cover is riveted on.  Are the bolts to attach the downspout self tapping???  Please advise.  Thanks.  PS

Offline glencoeman

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Stoke on Trent
Re: GIVI Side Case Mount
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 04:19:55 PM »
You need an extra kit ( P1121KIT ) to fit the P1121 side case mounts to a CB500X from 2017 onwards due to the different silencer and mounting to the 2012-2016 models. It is listed on the Givi website with mounting instructions.

Offline IDAHORDRIDER

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Bike: VStrom,CB500X
  • City / Town: Meridian
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 04:38:14 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I will order the kit.  I still need to know about the muffler downspout mounting.

Online HerrDeacon

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X ABS
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 04:50:02 PM »
I believe the extra kit that glencoeman referenced allows you to mount the downspout (sounds like a different one than the one you have) on the later models which don't have screws. View the instructions I link below to see how its done.

https://media.givi.it/XN-Prodotti/istruzioni/PL1121KIT.pdf
'14 CB500X / '82 MB5 / '78 XL250S / '72 CB350

Riding Through the Fog

Offline Greg

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X '18
  • City / Town: Epernay
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 02:28:16 PM »
You don't need to mount that downspout.
I didn't and my V35 don't burn!

Offline Faddy Daddy

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X
  • City / Town: Pacific NW
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 05:09:34 AM »
*Originally Posted by IDAHORDRIDER [+]
Thanks for the info.  I will order the kit.  I still need to know about the muffler downspout mounting.

Idahordrider, a downspout and all the hardware you need comes with the extra kit, (PL1121KIT). There is a bracket that mounts to the pillion foot peg which extends rearward to meet with the downspout. The bracket has a nut welded on so a bolt then goes through a fitting on the downspout and into the nut, holds it pretty well and is very easy to put on.
Panel F in the instructions HerrDeacon linked shows it nicely.

Offline LustyLew

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 01:35:01 PM »
Sorry to dig up an old (ish) thread.

I have the PL1121 top box rack fitted to my '14 X. I'd like to fit the pannier rack too. I note on the site of the top box rack, it warns, a maximum of 6Kg.

How can you add another rack and side cases to an existing rack that has such a low weight? Surely just a top box will add a couple of Kgs right away??
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 01:42:52 PM by LustyLew »

Offline Lattugo

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500XA Y2015
  • City / Town: Valsamoggia
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2018, 02:14:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by LustyLew [+]
I note on the site of the top box rack, it warns, a maximum of 6Kg.

How can you add another rack and side cases to an existing rack that has such a low weight? Surely just a top box will add a couple of Kgs right away??

The 6 Kg. limit is referred to the fully loaded topbox, me thinks.
Imho, mounting also the side racks hardens the whole structure because it adds two more contact points at passenger pegs, so in theory the side racks themselves should help the main bars to sustain the top box weight.

However, I would never exceed the 6 kg. limit because a top box is always exposed at some risk of breaking/falling when you hit bumps, (topbox in offroad is a no-no), so generally the lighter the better, for the box, for its content and the frame.

My 2 cents. 
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 02:17:03 PM by Lattugo »

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
  • Wrecked Wrench Motorcyclist
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500XT
  • City / Town: Upstate, SC USA
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2018, 02:39:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by LustyLew [+]
Sorry to dig up an old (ish) thread.

I have the PL1121 top box rack fitted to my '14 X. I'd like to fit the pannier rack too. I note on the site of the top box rack, it warns, a maximum of 6Kg.

The racks are strong as hell. I carry 60lbs(27kg) spread across my side cases and top box. The weak point is the quick mounts that Givi/Kappa use. If you eliminate those and go with aftermarket or DIY mounts with different panniers you can carry more weight. I have two setups. One uses plastic trunks as side cases and the other is a set of Tusk large aluminum panniers. Both setups use the same trunk.

I only have pics of my trunks mounted in place of the panniers. I'm loaded in this pic.

Artist also known as ben2go.
Current bikes
Six=Suzuki GS500,'00 V Star Classic,'14 CB500X farkled out nicely.
I rescue neglected and battered motorcycles.

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
  • Wrecked Wrench Motorcyclist
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500XT
  • City / Town: Upstate, SC USA
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2018, 02:42:01 PM »
My bike is suspended here using the Givi/Kappa racks and nothing else supporting it. The front tire is still on the ground but it can't be seen.

Artist also known as ben2go.
Current bikes
Six=Suzuki GS500,'00 V Star Classic,'14 CB500X farkled out nicely.
I rescue neglected and battered motorcycles.

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage