Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Any advice for riding in strong crosswinds?  (Read 2450 times)

Offline Hillie

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500x ABS
  • City / Town: SW Washington
Re: Any advice for riding in strong crosswinds?
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2019, 04:46:25 AM »
*Originally Posted by mrichi [+]
Lean your body over the side of the bike into the direction of the wind bit like a moto gp rider in a corner  :)

It's funny, but that's how I have to ride here regularly. And I'm a fat bastard, but still need to lean into the wind to not be pushed away at times.

Offline Samuttodd

• CB500X Member
  • samuttodd
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Samut Sakhon
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2019, 09:51:37 AM »
Long ago when I was young and foolish,  I did 400 miles on my XR 650L in a day.  A good bit of it was off road,  and the home stretch was against the wind at the end of an August day in the Columbia River Gorge (the river that divides Or and Washington E To W.

I reckon the winds were an easy 60mph in my face for about 60 miles.  I was trying to keep up with traffic that was rolling 60-70mph into the headwind.   I was tired and that bike bobbed around like a cork in a washing machine.    That XR is the tallest bike I have ever been on and the wind caught it like a sail.    No fairing and tired out I made it home alive albeit very tired.

I think it helps to grip the tank between your legs and assume a low profile.   If you've got a windshield,  duck under it.   And slow it down.   

Sometimes you can hedge your bet on a bridge by getting in a larger vehicles slipstream and just staying there if the traffic flow allows.

Oh,  Praying doesn't hurt.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 09:53:18 AM by Samuttodd »
Keep it under a hundred

Online ewryly

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
  • City / Town: West Hartford
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2019, 12:25:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by Samuttodd [+]

I think it helps to grip the tank between your legs and assume a low profile.   If you've got a windshield,  duck under it.   And slow it down.   

I agree, keeping a lower profile and taking it slower and respecting the fact that it is more work than riding without a crosswind so you will likely travel less that day. 

I remember bicycling down route 40 out of Flagstaff, fully loaded with front and rear panniers, and going along a stretch of road that had been cut into the hill to make the grade more manageable.  At the end of the road was a windsock sticking straight out like it was made of plastic.  There I was tooling along near the end of a 100-mile day lugging 60 lbs and wondering why anyone would put a windsock out in the middle of nowhere.  Then I hit the end of the cutout and the next thing I knew I was three feet leeward of where I had been.   But I didn't go over, I just went sideways.  Sure did startled the sh*t out of me!  But it also taught me that my two-wheeled companions can handle a lot.   

Offline harryhendo

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X
  • City / Town: Charlottesville
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2019, 03:04:42 PM »
I find when riding in the hills that it's important to anticipate wind gusts when you come up on a rise. I've often been blown over a lane coming over a hill and having a hard blast of wind hit me. Kinda unsettling. So on a windy day, I lean into the direction of the wind before I come over a rise and that helps a lot.

The other day I was heading south into a strong wind, but on my return home was heading north with the wind. The 500 felt like it was just idling the whole the ride back. :001:
2016 Honda CB500X, Matte Black (bought new 2019)
1987 BMW R80, Black (bought new 1987)

Offline DFavata

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2018 Honda CB500
  • City / Town: Latham
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2019, 05:27:49 PM »
Best advice I can give....HOLD ON!!!    and speed up!  :)

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage