Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fork upgrade - YSS ?  (Read 294 times)

Online Mence

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X
  • City / Town: Southwater
Fork upgrade - YSS ?
« on: August 12, 2018, 06:57:28 PM »
Hi all.

Putting some miles on the new steed and generally, the experience is ok....so long as the roads are as smooth as a snooker table.

Unfortunately, West Sussex and Surrey Councils don't have enough cash to keep the roads in good shape and that is not good news for the X or me for that matter. I have tried the fork preloads up and down and while improvements are made, it's not particularly good, to be honest i get a more compliant ride out of my 50 year old Suzuki T500!

I don't want to trade the bike out already but unless the forks can be sorted, she will be little use to me round here unless i ride so darn slowly i would be better off walking.

I'm sure the RR kit is extremely good but i want to try and find something that is a little lower cost especially as i don't intend to use her offroad.

I read that YSS do a full kit, has anyone any experience of it please?

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Fork upgrade - YSS ?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 08:39:44 PM »
If you haven't already, check out the Rally Raid alternative thread. It's a number of pages, but from what I recall, there is an improvement to be had with other manufacturers as well at a lower price point.

https://www.cb500x.com/index.php/topic,3417.0.html

Online Mence

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 08:44:20 PM »
Thank you.

Offline jsonder

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500XA
  • City / Town: Green Valley, AZ
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 09:12:48 PM »
I believe that I paid $120 for Hagon's front springs several years ago.  That was BEFORE Rally Raid offered just the front (L1) treatment without the rear shock.

I would advise the RR front as everyone who has done the L1 for pavement is happy with it.  Hagon does have 3 or more ranges of spring stiffness.  I opted for the standard (I weigh 170 pounds) and it did help a bunch on the beat up roads that I was riding in the summer of '14, but, it does not have near the capability of the RR gear.
John  '14CB500XA (Daily Rider),  '09CRF230L (L'il Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 09:29:46 PM »
Matris might be another name you might want to look into. They offer a range from spring kits to a full cartridge kit.

I was able to find a little info here, although nothing on pricing:

https://www.matrisdampers.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Honda-CB-500-X-16-web.pdf

Online Mence

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 07:13:41 AM »
Pretty costly but worth a shot, cheers.

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 01:45:19 AM »
Yep. I've bought a few used bikes with the suspension kits already done and on a few I removed the kits before selling and sold separately. Riding the bike in both states really highlights the difference that a premium suspension can me, some on bikes that already had a  fairly good setup to begin with. I would imagine that the difference between the factory Honda CB500X stuff and the aftermarket stuff like Matris or RR is like night and day, as the CB's factory suspension is built to a price point.

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage