Author Topic: ABS  (Read 6327 times)

Offline Mister Paul

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
Re: ABS
Reply #50 on: September 30, 2020, 07:00:51 PM
*Originally Posted by motorboy [+]
Because your governments feel they need to protect us from ourself's-how many times have you  heard someone say it's for your own good

That's a crazy stance. It's not about protecting you from yourself, it's about reducing risk to everyone. You might want a bike with no ABS but it increases the risk to other people.

I want the roads safer for everyone. If mandating ABS does that, bring it on. It's a curious mind which decides that's about control.

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God-zilla
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
Reply #51 on: September 30, 2020, 07:03:38 PM
 :451:, but I thought I'd mention the latest idea from our government approved think tanks - calling careless cyclists "lycra louts" could be classed as a hate crime, it will not be allowed to discuss whether a cyclist was wearing a helmet or any protective/hi-viz gear, and the word "accident" should not be used to describe......, well, a road traffic accident, which is the legal term used in court!! 

So a cyclist bumps you on the pavement, you shout "hey, ya lycra lout", and it's you that ends up in court, and even jail. 

And no more accidents, you are always to blame.  Especially if you are a white, anglo-saxon motorist.......

Oh, come on!!!

:087:
The Story So Far.........
2017-2019: 12000 miles recreational use - 89.73mpg UK; 74.72mpg US; 3.15litres/100km

Offline fatal

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: CB500x (2019)
Reply #52 on: September 30, 2020, 07:21:15 PM
The Brave New World.....welcome to 21st century UK  :013:

Offline Steve T

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: CB5X,F8GS,600Alp
Reply #53 on: September 30, 2020, 07:26:42 PM
Over the 300k+ miles that I have ridden bikes (not all with ABS), I can honestly say that there has been only one occurence on tar when a bikes ABS has kicked in. All other "emergency" stop type situations (there have been a few  :164:) have been coped with fine by normal, controlled braking.

ABS on bikes in the EU has been forced upon us, IMHO, due in no small part to the over involvment in politics of the big German companies involved in the design and manufacture of the most commonly used ABS systems - Bosch.

Discuss.

Steve T

:018:
British Born
Rasied in Wales
Living in Scotland
Still British 1st though

Offline Oyabun

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: 13 500XA, 16 FA
Reply #54 on: September 30, 2020, 08:44:57 PM
*Originally Posted by ksandvik [+]
ABS brakes is about saving lives. Even for seasoned drivers. Last comment from me.

I could not agree more.
 I'm riding for almost 30 years, and have been years when I've done well over 25k miles, now down to about 10-15-ish a year. So I've learnt to ride without ABS, and rode (bar a few testrides) non-abs bikes for the first 22 years of my riding career.
Still riding all year round in all weather and road conditions, commuting roughly 30 miles every workday and having one longer and several daytrips during the year.
I admire all of you who have superman reflexes, but I admit that I'm not always fresh, sometimes making stupid mistakes, and many times get into situations where somebody else is a fool - and weather is not always collaborative either. There are a few ocassions in every season when the ABS saving my hide, and there were four ocassions since 2015 during the whole ownership of the X when I would have tried to switch off the REAR ABS

Offline Mister Paul

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
Reply #55 on: September 30, 2020, 09:17:24 PM
*Originally Posted by AJC500 [+]
:451:, but I thought I'd mention the latest idea from our government approved think tanks - calling careless cyclists "lycra louts" could be classed as a hate crime, it will not be allowed to discuss whether a cyclist was wearing a helmet or any protective/hi-viz gear, and the word "accident" should not be used to describe......, well, a road traffic accident, which is the legal term used in court!! 

So a cyclist bumps you on the pavement, you shout "hey, ya lycra lout", and it's you that ends up in court, and even jail. 

And no more accidents, you are always to blame.  Especially if you are a white, anglo-saxon motorist.......

Oh, come on!!!

:087:

You've been reading the Daily Mail again, haven't you?

Offline Neox

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2016 cb500x
Reply #56 on: September 30, 2020, 10:48:43 PM
*Originally Posted by Oyabun [+]

I admire all of you who have superman reflexes, but I admit that I'm not always fresh, sometimes making stupid mistakes, and many times get into situations where somebody else is a fool - and weather is not always collaborative either.
I'm agree with this man  :169:!
even when I put my underwear on my trousers I don't fly in the sky, but at least I make the girls laugh... :008:!

Offline Neox

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2016 cb500x
Reply #57 on: September 30, 2020, 10:54:19 PM
ABS is like an insurance, you pay each year in the hope that it will not be used, but you are happy to have it when a fail occurs.

If you need ABS every day, don't buy an ABS but driving lessons :001:.

Offline motorboy

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
Reply #58 on: September 30, 2020, 11:02:36 PM
*Originally Posted by Mister Paul [+]
That's a crazy stance. It's not about protecting you from yourself, it's about reducing risk to everyone. You might want a bike with no ABS but it increases the risk to other people.

I want the roads safer for everyone. If mandating ABS does that, bring it on. It's a curious mind which decides that's about control.
let me be clear I'm not for or against ABS-just don't like any Govt telling me I have to have it
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God-zilla
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
Reply #59 on: October 01, 2020, 08:14:21 AM
*Originally Posted by Mister Paul [+]
You've been reading the Daily Mail again, haven't you?

Probably!!   :008: :008: :008:
The Story So Far.........
2017-2019: 12000 miles recreational use - 89.73mpg UK; 74.72mpg US; 3.15litres/100km