Author Topic: CB500X Vs XSR700  (Read 3973 times)

Offline gregjet

• CB500X Pro
  • Go forth and modify
  • Bike: CB500X
Re: CB500X Vs XSR700
Reply #10 on: October 27, 2018, 10:02:57 PM
Seating position is upright on both , with the 07 being in a more inclined position FOR MOST RIDING. The emphasis is added because, in my opinion, the std 07 has a handling quirk that requires you you slide forward when agressive cornering ( for several reasons, not just one) into almost a motard position to get front end feel. You can tune that trait down, but not out. The X seems to be more centre position happy.
Both respond well to climbing all over them in twisties though.

Offline HerrDeacon

• CB500X God
Reply #11 on: October 27, 2018, 10:06:50 PM
I'm just hoping they bring the new Tenere 700 to Canada, its going to be introduced next month at EICMA

Offline gregjet

• CB500X Pro
  • Go forth and modify
Reply #12 on: October 28, 2018, 01:52:57 AM
I think the OP was funds limitied and the word is that this 07 version of the tenere will be a lot more expensive ( and heavier?). VERY nice though.

Offline Thisll do

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CB500X 2016 L3RR
Reply #13 on: October 28, 2018, 09:04:34 AM
Funds limited?
Isn't everybody?
Being 75% Scots, maybe I'm entitled to be careful with my money  :016: But the other 25% knows the need to spend a few bob on the crap suspension, on either bike.
If I wasn't funds limited, I'd buy out RR and sort out their poor powdercoating (not just on the wheel rims) and provide a proper service to those of us who spend our hard earned cash, keeping their show on the road.

Handling? I have had about 50 bikes over the years and ridden a lot more. I ran the X and the XSR side by side for a week, and I cannot say I noticed a big difference, certainly no unpleasant quirks, but of course, my XSR has a 19" front wheel at present, wheelbase is also different from the MT-07 so there are 2 possible significant factors.

Comfort ? I would say the XSR is marginaly more comfortable for me. With the X, I was always thinking about doing somthing to improve the seat, with the XSR I don't feel the need so much. But here again, the XSR has a different seat from the MT-07

Another plus point on the XSR is "Goodbye" to that horrible brown & badly positioned instrument screen. The XSR has a neat round instrument pod, which admittedly, as standard, is not much better placed than that on the X. However as it is easy to dismount and reposition wherever you fancy, its a big uimprovement.

Offline gregjet

• CB500X Pro
  • Go forth and modify
Reply #14 on: October 28, 2018, 07:21:47 PM
I think the Tenere 700 will make a lot of bikes , pretending to be Adv bikes look a bit silly. That lovely 07 motor with a wider ratio gearbox, and a better offroad frame will be a fine motorcycle indeed hopefully.

I agree with you about the strange coloured X instrument screen. Looks like a calculator from the 80's. Still, the MT07 screen was so ridiculously placed it was almost impossible to see with a fullface on unless you tilted your head down so much you couldn't see the road in a lot of helmets. On the 07 forum so many were moved as a first mod. Not so easy to change instruments nowdays with some bikes having the bike control and security in the instrument head.
My 07 had an aweful seat. Now Seat concepts which I love.  I have a CBR seat on the X ( which I haven't riidden on yet) but no seat concepts cover available for it, only the X seat. Not sure what I will do about this yet.

Offline mrklunk

• CB500X Pro
  • F750GS
  • Bike: F750GS
Reply #15 on: November 08, 2018, 01:55:45 PM
*Originally Posted by Applecorp [+]
I tried the Tracer 700 earlier this year, I wasn't impressed. I Tried the Tracer 900 not long after, I was very impressed. I bought one.

What??? Sorry, I've not been around (long story) you've bought a Tracer? Still got the X?

Offline Applecorp

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: MT-09 Tracer
Reply #16 on: November 08, 2018, 02:28:06 PM
I made a thread about it. Basically I park my 500X near work (Birmingham city centre) in a motorcycle parking bay. Sadly one day (think it was august) I came back after work to find it on the floor, hit by a brewery delivery lorry who reversed into it and wrote it off, it was on the floor as the side stand had snapped clean off, some witness had tried to stand her up but obviously couldn't when they realised.

So yeah, she was a right mess, front all crushed and bent to one side and lots of other lesser damage. The brewery's insurer paid out within 2 weeks and I got 4500. Not bad as I only paid 4800 for it new.

So yeah, I cashed that in, sold my Triumph Street Triple R and bought a Tracer 900, and banked what was left.

Now I've seen the new 500X I'm sorely tempted to sell the Tracer and get one next year. The Tracer is great but I've come to the realisation that although the power is awesome, I just don't use the power most of the time, it's wasted on the type of riding I do, same with the Street Triple.
Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 02:34:36 PM by Applecorp

Offline mrklunk

• CB500X Pro
  • F750GS
  • Bike: F750GS
Reply #17 on: November 08, 2018, 02:36:02 PM

So yeah, I cashed that in, sold my Triumph Street Triple R and bought a Tracer 900, and banked what was left.
[/quote]

Holy sh#t??! Every cloud etc (I guess). Sorry I missed your thread. Just catching up with things now. My X is paid next month 4700 miles on clock. Daily ride - still love it but sometimes wish it was a 750cc now my skill levels have increased over summer. Tempted to test ride a Tracer though but will wait til spring. Enjoy your new bike, cheers

Offline WhoaNelly!

• CB500X Newbie
  • Bike: CB500x, VTR1000
Reply #18 on: November 14, 2018, 09:57:04 PM
I tried an MT07 and CB500x around the same time, whilst pondering downsizing from a Tiger 800xc. The Yam felt tiny, and hilarious in a crap-suspension-but-fun kind of way. The engine buzzed away without any sensation of power but surprised me by picking up speed fairly smartly. I really liked it, and would have considered the Tracer. The CB had the same pogo stick ride and silently whirry motor, but felt a bit more substantial & refined somehow. Price and farklement plans sealed my choice - found a fairly cheap 2013 CBx, I love it.