Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 3D printed phone holder.  (Read 1852 times)

Offline Nixie

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500x SM 2017
  • City / Town: Murcia
3D printed phone holder.
« on: February 13, 2019, 03:44:16 PM »
So, many people put a bar on top of the two leftover holes of the windshield (CB500x's of 2017 onwards) however that solution doesn't work for me as it is too bulky for my taste.
I wanted something more integrated in the motorbike, so I took measurements and went wild in my CAD program (fusion 360):
First iteration:

Second:

Third:

Looking rad, imho:

Without the phone:

Holding is performed with two custom flat stainless spring clamps. One of them has a thumb screw so the phone is easily installable/removable:

I sported that one for a while, but after some months, I found that using gloves and the small phone buttons, especially with them recessed inside the carrier, did not work very well. So, I went back to the drawing board and further simplified the design AND added a cover for the power button, making it easily operable with gloves.
The holes to the right are for a second part of the project, that will be updated when I receive the missing pieces.

Here, installed, and compared to the old version:

To keep the holder in place I made two custom metal inserts that would accept an M6 screw:

Pretty happy with that. (Phone model is BQ Aquaris M5, nothing fancy)

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
Re: 3D printed phone holder.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 04:05:46 PM »
Nice job! Do you do CAD for a living? I had a tinker with Sketch Up 3D builder but it wasn't as intuitive as I thought it would be, even though it's pretty basic. I can see loads of applications for bespoke bike parts...

Offline Nixie

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 04:19:20 PM »
Not professionally, but I do have a hobby workshop at home (mill, lathe, small chinesium CNC, laser, etc...) so I'm kinda drawn into 3D cad no matter what. XDDD
I find Fusion 360, extremely intuitive for many things (it has it's quirks, as any software does, but there are plenty of tutorials to solve that), and it's also free for students and tinkerers, wich is a plus.

Offline SnowOwl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: SE Missouri
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 06:29:30 PM »
I have got to get me a 3D printer!!!  What type of plastic did you use?
1980 Suzuki GS250T - Sold a long time ago
------------
1982 Suzuki PE175 - For exploring the farm with the dog
2016 Honda CB500X ABS - All round commuter and day trips

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 06:33:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jonathan [+]
Nice job! Do you do CAD for a living? I had a tinker with Sketch Up 3D builder but it wasn't as intuitive as I thought it would be, even though it's pretty basic. I can see loads of applications for bespoke bike parts...

Same here. I learned how to use Sketchup a few years ago and it's not intuitive, but after modeling a few projects I've gotten much more adept with it. I would love to be able to create my own bike parts.

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 09:08:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by ThirtyOne [+]
Same here. I learned how to use Sketchup a few years ago and it's not intuitive, but after modeling a few projects I've gotten much more adept with it. I would love to be able to create my own bike parts.

There was an absolutely brilliant open source design engineers forum I stumbled upon a while back, where professionals, amateurs and interested parties would collaborate on whatever design ideas were posted up. They were sending files all over the world; someone would be needing help with a prototype so a plastics tech would post up a suitable product list, a CAD tech would work up a drawing, a metallurgist would chip in, a process engineer would suggest the right tooling and others would fab the parts...internet at its best. The projects tended to be 'eco tech' solutions, low energy, recyclable etc. Just goes to show there are folks out there who know their sh#t and don't mind sharing for mutual benefit...shame there isn't more stuff going on in a similar vein

Offline Lysdexic

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500XA
  • City / Town: Chiang Mai
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 02:13:11 AM »
Beautiful! I want one!

Offline Nixie

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 08:10:33 AM »
*Originally Posted by Jonathan [+]
There was an absolutely brilliant open source design [...]

Lovely idea! I take part in something similar on a small scale, for vacuum and physics related things. It's a nice environment to be in for sure.

*Originally Posted by Lysdexic [+]
Beautiful! I want one!

Unless you have the same phone as me (and some metal bending skills) this won't work for you. In any case, this will be redesigned with a different clamping system someday (when I change my phone model to an IP68 capable unit, so I don't have to worry about rain or whatever) so stay tuned.

Offline Oyabun

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 500XA, 16 FA
  • City / Town: Europe
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 12:10:11 PM »
Great idea and excellent delivery. What material are you using? Is that simple PLA, or CF infused?

I'm also a maker and had a very similar idea. Eyeing with a galaxy S6 active. It has a super bright Amoled screen to read in daylight, and wireless charging to easyly recharge on the bike while mounted. Oh. And the most important one Mil-STD-810G and IP68 rating. Albeit a few years old it still hods up fine.
Designing an open source holder with an integrated wireless charger could be a great community service. :-)

Offline Nixie

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2019, 01:21:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by SnowOwl [+]
I have got to get me a 3D printer!!!  What type of plastic did you use?
*Originally Posted by Oyabun [+]
Great idea and excellent delivery. What material are you using? Is that simple PLA, or CF infused?

Sorry SnowOwl, I forgot your answer! It's plain black PLA. It is not as biodegradable as people think really. As long as you don't have it sitting in sunlight without cooling and damp with water, it will hold fine. (the one with some months of summer on it's back shows no signs of aging, just dust and some insect bits).

The moment you design an open source holder, it stops working. XD
Not for the opensourcish thing, but because a "one size fits all" just will never be as slick or small as a fully custom holder for a particular phone. I will redesign it when I have a new phone, every time. XD! (and I don't plan to have anything top of the line, especially NOT an iphone or something like that, so, sorry.

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage