Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: From sunny California  (Read 679 times)

Offline foot

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Sonoma
From sunny California
« on: March 17, 2019, 01:41:26 PM »
Hi folks,
My  name's John. I just picked up a 2015 500x with the intention of prepping it for trips deep into Mexico Central & South America.   Looking forward to learning from you all, and perhaps making some new friends along the way.
Cheers!

Offline ewryly

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
  • City / Town: West Hartford
Re: From sunny California
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 01:52:51 PM »
:400: John!

Offline JoeD

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2018 CB500X
  • City / Town: Fallbrook
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 03:15:10 PM »
I am sure you'll enjoy your X and have some great adventures.

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 03:43:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by foot [+]
Hi folks,
My  name's John. I just picked up a 2015 500x with the intention of prepping it for trips deep into Mexico Central & South America.   Looking forward to learning from you all, and perhaps making some new friends along the way.
Cheers!

Welcome to the forum. I'm prepping my '13 for a grand tour of SA as well. Fortunately the 500X is a great platform for building a globetrotter.

Offline foot

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 03:59:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by ThirtyOne [+]
Welcome to the forum. I'm prepping my '13 for a grand tour of SA as well. Fortunately the 500X is a great platform for building a globetrotter.

Thanks JoeD, ewryly and ThirtyOne.   
What are your plans for your bike, ThirtyONe, and when will you embark on your tour?  I'm just now getting familiar, but have an eye on the RR state 2 setup

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 05:58:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by foot [+]
Thanks JoeD, ewryly and ThirtyOne.   
What are your plans for your bike, ThirtyONe, and when will you embark on your tour?  I'm just now getting familiar, but have an eye on the RR state 2 setup

My trip is planned for 2021. I have a yearly teaching contract here in Honduras, so I plan to stick around for another few years and then will head south afterward. Expecting to be 8-12 months on the road, but it's open ended right now.

I have the RR level 1 setup on the bike now. It came with it when I bought it used and after having swapped bikes back and forth with a friend and his bone stock 2018, I can say that the RR suspension makes a big difference. It's a hefty hefty investment though. If I were to get into this kind of long term planning at this moment, meaning a trip planned for 2021, I would consider keeping the X stock and waiting for a bike like KTM's 790 Adventure R to show up in the used market. The Honda CB500X price itself + nearly $4,000 of Rally Raid kit (L2 suspension, Preload adjuster (a nice extra), wheels, bashguard, pegs, auxiliary plate, added fatbar, etc.) will get your bottom line pretty high after shipping the RR kit from Europe + time spent installing.

The 790, for example, is priced at $12,000 or so if I'm seeing the numbers correctly, so once it's in the used market you'd be able to get the bike used in a few years time for the cost of the fully built CB500X. The 790 will weigh almost the same and will have much more power and more ground clearance (not to mention better electronics, cruise control, etc). It'll be a much more suitable travel bike from the looks of it. Just thinking out loud as the 790 ADV launch just happened and reviews are coming out now. The 790 just seems like a much more capable bike and a whole lot more bike for the money when comparing it to pouring money into the Honda.

As for me, I'm all in on my Honda. I imported it to Honduras and it's plated here and can be plated in the USA, so it suits me. For my mods, the L2 kit with wheels will be arriving here in a few months. Will look into auxiliary lighting, PC8 fuse box and will be running some other electronics. Maybe reshape the seat or get an aftermarket unit. My 200 mile days in the saddle have been just fine thus far. When traveling in Latin America I usually limit myself to 250 miles a day or so, so it might be just fine for my needs. I have a 2 week trip planned to Guatemala over the summer, so it'll be a shakedown run for me to see what works.

As for smaller stuff, I have Barkbusters, a fatbar, aftermarket levers, RR footpegs (very nice platform) and their bellypan. A good set of risers get the handlebars to fit me. I've had good luck with Givi, so I'm using their side racks and rear rack. I did a trip from Connecticut to Guatemala in 2015 with soft luggage and I felt that the luggage was very vulnerable. To me, it was a limiting factor. I've lived in Central America for almost a decade, so my understanding of the culture here is pretty good. I'm not a paranoid tourist. For the upcoming trip, I'm considering going full hard luggage, or maybe a Mosko Moto Reckless system, which allows locking of the side soft panniers (interesting in theory, have yet to see it in person) and then I would use a lockable top box to keep things that I absolutely need to keep safe. Having a lockable top box also lets you take day trips from your hotel/hostel to places and you can leave your bike with less concern about things being slashed/grabbed. That's about it for mods.

My biggest hurdle now is finding the right windscreen that allows me to ride with my helmet open at 55-70mph. I've gone through a few different options and have yet to find the magic recipe. I have a running thread here about my windshield testing.

Once I get my windshield finally figured out (and my L2 kit installed), I'll be done with the bulk of the modifications for my ideal travel bike.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 05:59:51 PM by ThirtyOne »

Online catstevecam

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: Northumberland
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2019, 10:46:40 PM »
 :400:

Offline Aikenrunner

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
  • City / Town: Aiken
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2019, 11:38:02 PM »
Welcome!

Offline foot

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 11:27:12 AM »
*Originally Posted by ThirtyOne [+]
My trip is planned for 2021. I have a yearly teaching contract here in Honduras, so I plan to stick around for another few years and then will head south afterward. Expecting to be 8-12 months on the road, but it's open ended right now.

I have the RR level 1 setup on the bike now. It came with it when I bought it used and after having swapped bikes back and forth with a friend and his bone stock 2018, I can say that the RR suspension makes a big difference. It's a hefty hefty investment though. If I were to get into this kind of long term planning at this moment, meaning a trip planned for 2021, I would consider keeping the X stock and waiting for a bike like KTM's 790 Adventure R to show up in the used market. The Honda CB500X price itself + nearly $4,000 of Rally Raid kit (L2 suspension, Preload adjuster (a nice extra), wheels, bashguard, pegs, auxiliary plate, added fatbar, etc.) will get your bottom line pretty high after shipping the RR kit from Europe + time spent installing.

The 790, for example, is priced at $12,000 or so if I'm seeing the numbers correctly, so once it's in the used market you'd be able to get the bike used in a few years time for the cost of the fully built CB500X. The 790 will weigh almost the same and will have much more power and more ground clearance (not to mention better electronics, cruise control, etc). It'll be a much more suitable travel bike from the looks of it. Just thinking out loud as the 790 ADV launch just happened and reviews are coming out now. The 790 just seems like a much more capable bike and a whole lot more bike for the money when comparing it to pouring money into the Honda.

As for me, I'm all in on my Honda. I imported it to Honduras and it's plated here and can be plated in the USA, so it suits me. For my mods, the L2 kit with wheels will be arriving here in a few months. Will look into auxiliary lighting, PC8 fuse box and will be running some other electronics. Maybe reshape the seat or get an aftermarket unit. My 200 mile days in the saddle have been just fine thus far. When traveling in Latin America I usually limit myself to 250 miles a day or so, so it might be just fine for my needs. I have a 2 week trip planned to Guatemala over the summer, so it'll be a shakedown run for me to see what works.

As for smaller stuff, I have Barkbusters, a fatbar, aftermarket levers, RR footpegs (very nice platform) and their bellypan. A good set of risers get the handlebars to fit me. I've had good luck with Givi, so I'm using their side racks and rear rack. I did a trip from Connecticut to Guatemala in 2015 with soft luggage and I felt that the luggage was very vulnerable. To me, it was a limiting factor. I've lived in Central America for almost a decade, so my understanding of the culture here is pretty good. I'm not a paranoid tourist. For the upcoming trip, I'm considering going full hard luggage, or maybe a Mosko Moto Reckless system, which allows locking of the side soft panniers (interesting in theory, have yet to see it in person) and then I would use a lockable top box to keep things that I absolutely need to keep safe. Having a lockable top box also lets you take day trips from your hotel/hostel to places and you can leave your bike with less concern about things being slashed/grabbed. That's about it for mods.

My biggest hurdle now is finding the right windscreen that allows me to ride with my helmet open at 55-70mph. I've gone through a few different options and have yet to find the magic recipe. I have a running thread here about my windshield testing.

Once I get my windshield finally figured out (and my L2 kit installed), I'll be done with the bulk of the modifications for my ideal travel bike.

Can't thank you enough, ThirtyONe, for the informative post.  You've answered a good number of my questions about the bike, even as it pertains to travel down south. 
   Probably very good advice, looking toward a ktm or something similar.  It may be misguided, but I've always felt some security in the reliability of the big 4 manufacturers, particularly Hondas.    I should look more deeply into the reliability of modern Ktms.
    I envy you your upcoming adventures, as well as your familiarity with the people/culture of CA and SA.  I've had but a few visits south, and while the dangers of travel are well represented in the media, I am  most struck by how kind and gracious the people are.   
     I've got a few miles under my belt on this bike now..just making adjustments to controls and such.  Yesterday I began messing about with the shield. It came with stock and a Puig (I'll have to consult your thread on that!)
  I'm pleasantly surprised by this bike so far, but do have a couple of gripes.  I'll search on here to find solutions before blurting them out, but I wonder if I might consult you from time to time?   It seems we have similar travel aspirations and as far as bike stuff,  I'd love to skip the trial and error where i can.  Who knows, maybe we'll bump into each other on some Guatemalan trail one day.   

Offline foot

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2019, 11:29:39 AM »
*Originally Posted by Aikenrunner [+]
Welcome!

Thanks Aikenrunner!

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage