Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Trickle charging via usb port or cigarette lighter  (Read 219 times)

AmbientMoto, gregjet and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Samuttodd

• CB500X Newbie
  • samuttodd
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Samut Sakhon
Trickle charging via usb port or cigarette lighter
« on: April 17, 2019, 08:18:59 AM »
Hey all,

I just got a new new used bike and the battery is a bit anemic. I know I can connect the thing to a 750ma trickle charger directly to the battery with alligator clips, but, I am wondering if i can feed the trickle through the car cigarette lighter plug in that is already set up on the bike/or via the usb plug in?

I'd rather not have to access the battery and remove the seat etc.
Keep it under a hundred

Offline Samsgrandad

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Langport
Re: Trickle charging via usb port or cigarette lighter
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 08:59:40 AM »
Check how the cigarette lighter socket is wired, if live all the time then should be OK but if only'ignition live' then it won't work.

I have my trickle charger connected to an accessory socket that is permanently live and that works fine.

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 09:19:24 AM »
*Originally Posted by Samuttodd [+]
Hey all,

I just got a new new used bike and the battery is a bit anemic. I know I can connect the thing to a 750ma trickle charger directly to the battery with alligator clips, but, I am wondering if i can feed the trickle through the car cigarette lighter plug in that is already set up on the bike/or via the usb plug in?

I'd rather not have to access the battery and remove the seat etc.

Trickle chargers are usually low amperage, so provided the 12v DC socket and cabling is rated well above the output of the charger it will be fine. Cheap sockets, cables and connectors are prone to overheating.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 09:24:21 AM by Jonathan »

Offline denislordm

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500x
  • City / Town: Kings Lynn
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 09:49:59 AM »
If your crocodile clip charger is an optimate or oximiser and you don't have the permanent male female connectors cables with it you can get replacement set from ebay etc. - simply attach to battery once and run the short cable to outside of cover and hang loose to get access everytime you need it simples  :035: :062:

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 04:22:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by denislordm [+]
If your crocodile clip charger is an optimate or oximiser and you don't have the permanent male female connectors cables with it you can get replacement set from ebay etc. - simply attach to battery once and run the short cable to outside of cover and hang loose to get access everytime you need it simples  :035: :062:

I agree - for charging a battery it makes sense to go as close/directly as possible to the terminals themselves - the pig-tail is the way to go, and then you've also got a permanent live feed easily accessible even if you've wired your 12v accessory sockets to be switched with the ignition.

Jx
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 04:25:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by Samuttodd [+]
...but, I am wondering if i can feed the trickle through the car cigarette lighter plug in that is already set up on the bike/or via the usb plug in?

for info. USB won't work as that is stepped down to a 5v output, but a regular 'cigarette' style 12v socket would work - as long as it was a direct connection to the battery... personally though I'd fit a pig-tail as suggested above.

Jx
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 04:26:30 PM by JMo »
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
  • Wrecked Wrench Motorcyclist
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500XT
  • City / Town: Upstate, SC USA
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 06:48:48 PM »
What Jenny said. Also, if there is no diode on the trickle charger and the bike is started with it connected and plugged in, it could damage the charger and possibly cause a fire. Make double sure it isn't connected when you start. Maybe put a note over the ignition switch to remind yourself to remove the trickle charger.
Artist also known as ben2go.
Current bikes
Six=Suzuki GS500,'00 V Star Classic,'14 CB500X farkled out nicely.
I rescue neglected and battered motorcycles.

Offline Herman

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Southampton
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 08:13:41 PM »
I use an optimate charger connected by the aforementioned supplied pigs tail lead . It then doubles as a heated clothing socket as its easily accessible , I cut the oem plugs off the clothing and fit a suitable male connector all fused of course. 

Online AmbientMoto

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Franklin
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2019, 08:33:53 PM »
Slightly off-topic but I'd add to this... go ahead and replace the  battery... with a Lithium-Ion type. So much better... it's lightweight, sealed, and will keep a charge for a long, long time. I've put Del-Tran batteries in my last two bikes. Attach a pigtail that will connect to a trickle charger; as others have noted that will give you a dedicated connector for your tender AND a simple USB adapter will give you an "always on" option for charging devices. One thing to note: certain chargers are only meant for Li-Ion batteries whilst others will work with conventional AND Li-Ion batteries. For example, I use the Battery Tender Jr 021-0123 charger as it will work with Li-Ion and conventional batteries.

Just to note: I'm not employed by Del-Tran/Battery Tender in any way. They've given me great customer support a few times (when I mistakenly killed a battery... no fault of theirs).
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 08:35:29 PM by AmbientMoto »

Online gregjet

• CB500X Pro
  • Go forth and modify
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bundaberg
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 08:58:35 PM »
Lithium ion battery is not usually your best bet. Ther charging voltage is a bit higher that the bike will supply consistently. LiFePO4 battery is a better choice. Charging is only above 12.8v ( 4x3.2v) rather than over 14V( 4x3.7v). Most of the aftermarket motorcycle batteries are Lithium Iron Phosphate. I call them lithium ferro phosphate battereies because "iron" sounds too much like "ion".
Optimate make the best charger by far for LiFePO4 batteries.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:59:44 PM by gregjet »

Recent Topics