Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 500x or f  (Read 1080 times)

Offline Swampy

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Washougal
500x or f
« on: May 18, 2019, 03:21:32 AM »
New fan here and im set on buying one or the other (most likely this weekend)  but cannot decide between the "x" or the "F".

I like them both.  I will follow in the path of building towards an offroad type adventure bike for sure with dirt tires, skidplate, bars and risers, and storage.  I know the x is the obvious choice and I thought my mind was made up until I found a leftover 2017 cb500f brand new for a smoking deal...like $2000 cheaper than a new 2019 "X".  Anyways I was just hoping to get some input and perhaps something im missing or overlooked.  Also can the oem X headlight and windscreen be fitted to the F?  It seems the cb500f is a bit less vulnerable and less plastics to break and rattle loose so im not sure why its  not a more popular start for an adventure bike...

Now again, I am comparing a 2017 cb500f with a 2019 cb500x which isnt exactly fair but I can get a brand new 500f cheaper than the used X around here in my area...

Thanks, and what an awesome website and community...I hope to purchase either tomorrow.  This will take the place of my wr250r.  I have a trials bike for serious offroad but this bike will allow me to explore and possibly pull some camping trips...

Thanks

Offline kickertwo

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
Re: 500x or f
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 04:23:02 AM »
*Originally Posted by Swampy [+]
New fan here and im set on buying one or the other (most likely this weekend)  but cannot decide between the "x" or the "F".

I like them both.  I will follow in the path of building towards an offroad type adventure bike for sure with dirt tires, skidplate, bars and risers, and storage.  I know the x is the obvious choice and I thought my mind was made up until I found a leftover 2017 cb500f brand new for a smoking deal...like $2000 cheaper than a new 2019 "X".  Anyways I was just hoping to get some input and perhaps something im missing or overlooked.  Also can the oem X headlight and windscreen be fitted to the F?  It seems the cb500f is a bit less vulnerable and less plastics to break and rattle loose so im not sure why its  not a more popular start for an adventure bike...

Now again, I am comparing a 2017 cb500f with a 2019 cb500x which isnt exactly fair but I can get a brand new 500f cheaper than the used X around here in my area...

Thanks, and what an awesome website and community...I hope to purchase either tomorrow.  This will take the place of my wr250r.  I have a trials bike for serious offroad but this bike will allow me to explore and possibly pull some camping trips...

Thanks

Windscreen - Don't waste your time/money trying to do a swap between the 17 and 19. Companies sell direct fit CB500F windscreen in all sizes

Sounds like you are into the street-fighter look (FYI if you look outside your area, there are leftover CB500X too that you can score the same discount)

As far as a the CB500F offroad build, very possible since 2018 and before CB500X/F are the same front and back.
The RallyRaid Products will fit the CB500F. see their images

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 10:27:48 AM »
*Originally Posted by Swampy [+]

Thanks

The main areas for improvement (for both models) are suspension and protection. If you bought an X you'd still be looking at the additional cost for front and rear upgrades, plus tyres etc. to make it more useable off road. An F with a saving of $2000 would certainly pay for the mods, but I'm not sure if both bikes share the same geometry (rake and trail)...worth checking beforehand.

Offline Swampy

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 04:59:38 PM »
thanks for the feedback.  I have read that the seating position may be different bit I tho ught it was just the seat, and I thought the frames are the same, but again, not sure. 
I'm sure either bike will do a similar job just fine after mods so I'll save some money and go with the F.  They are on clearance for $3649.00 brand new and thats just too good to pass up.  I'm just concerned there must be something I'm missing...

Offline Ceddy17

• CB500X Pro
  • Ed
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Geel
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019, 06:54:10 PM »
The main diffenrences are in overall height, width, lenght and wheelbase. Seat height also.
The F is just a smaller bike, very noticable when you switch bikes (I ride an X, my son rides an F).

Some info on the X specs compared to the F:
Lenght + 20 mm
Width +50 mm
Height +200 mm
Wheelbase + 10 mm
Seat height + 25 mm
Footrest height - 2 mm
Ground clearance + 15 mm
Max weight capacity + 3 kg
Overall weight + 2 kg
(Valid for '15 models - according to my Haynes manual - mirrors excluded of course...)

Good luck..
Ed.
... don't concentrate on the finger ...  Stay Safe  ...

Offline Swampy

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2019, 07:14:20 PM »
thanks ceddy..darn it is just so hard to compare...i think most the riding posture will come from the difference in bars so I can certainly solve that issue easy enough.  thanks for all the help...

Offline Oyabun

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 500XA, 16 FA
  • City / Town: Europe
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 07:37:19 PM »
The seating position is different and on the F you have a bit of limited space as the two seats are separate. On the other hand if you're mostly riding solo, you can replace the rear seat with a luggage carrier, so your stuff will be lower and closer to CoG making easier to manouver. GregJet has deliberately changed his X seat to a single seater with and F rider seat.
The difference in the geometry is mainly due the longer front suspension travel, and the higher rise handlebars. Otherwise the OEM rear suspension is the same on both models.
In case you want the 19" front wheel your only easy solution is to go for a RR L2 suspension +wheels. It's a major dent on the pocket (currently 2700USD + whatever you have to pay for shipping, customs, VAT ect.), but without buying the L2 kit you're not going to be able to use the 19" front wheel.
The L1 suspension is a lot cheaper, and a great value.
If you don't want to go Rally Raiding -the cheapest upgrade to the F suspension would be the 150mm travel damper rods and matching springs from the 19' 500x - wirh a set of YSS PD valves for the front. This whole package can be had for 200USD-ish. For the rear there are cost effective +25mm riser plates which combined with a better adjustable shock, will level the bike - giving a middle ground somewhere between L1 and L2 suspensions.
This later is probably most important, as the F headlight has much less adjustability being fixed to the front forks instead of a frame mounted jig.
Unfortunately you have no chance to mount the X front end and windshield to the F, as the later is missing te mounting points from the frame to do so.

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 09:52:05 PM »
Hi Swampy - just to add to what Oyabun has suggested, if you do want fit the Rally-Raid LEVEL 2 suspension kit (and 17/19" wheels if you choose), then you'll end up with the same travel and rake/trail as the X model does with the LEVEL 2 kit fitted - as the frame, swing-arm and fork legs are the same dimensions, it's just the OEM internal fork parts that were different between F and X models as noted above.

The only issue will be that the billet top-triple clamp that comes as part of the LEVEL 2 kit for the 2013-18 model bikes doesn't have the lugs on the underside to connect the OEM F model headlight too [as the kit is designed primarily for the X model of course]  - not an issue if you were planning on fitting a different (say more dirt-bike style) headlight anyway of course, but something to be aware of.

As Oyabun suggests, there are also other mix-and match options out there to give you a little more clearance/front travel, and for more of a scrambler style machine a 17" front wheel isn't the end of the world - although as per the bike in the photo above, a 19" front (and the 170mm travel each end) would be better if you do plan to ride a lot more on the dirt of course.

Certainly for solo ADV riding, I've always thought the F seat pad and a small rack behind (as per Oyabuns suggestion) would be a good option, and the F-bike in general if you're not particularly bothered in having a windshield.  However be aware that the F fuel tank is slightly smaller so offers less overall range, but then the CB engine is very frugal anyway - and you can always supplement it with a Giant Loop Gas-Bag or similar for longer stretches.

Ultimately though, the F model isn't really all that much lighter in weight, nor have the X plastics proven vulnerable in the event of a fall, so there isn't an obvious benefit in building a bike around an F rather than an X - other than, as you've ascertained, F-models can be had for a very good price these days.

Hope that helps!

Jenny x
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline eip

• CB500X Member
  • daag thuus ook dag
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Xmax300
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2019, 07:08:37 PM »
Ziet er niet verkeerd uit, ga zo door.  :307:

Offline chriswallace959

• CB500X Member
  • Find me on YouTube - chriswallace959
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500X
  • City / Town: Measham
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2019, 09:49:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by kickertwo [+]
Windscreen - Don't waste your time/money trying to do a swap between the 17 and 19. Companies sell direct fit CB500F windscreen in all sizes

Sounds like you are into the street-fighter look (FYI if you look outside your area, there are leftover CB500X too that you can score the same discount)

That looks the dogs ####

As far as a the CB500F offroad build, very possible since 2018 and before CB500X/F are the same front and back.
The RallyRaid Products will fit the CB500F. see their images

Rider of a 2013 Honda CB550X and a 2007 Hartford HD125L. Find me on YouTube

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage