Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Additional LED Indicators  (Read 760 times)

Offline SilverCycle

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 17 Red
  • City / Town: Sunny Worthing
Additional LED Indicators
« on: June 13, 2019, 09:54:12 PM »
Hi, I was looking at the way my X's rear indicators (2017 model, so real bulbs) are partly obscured by even my small economy Givi panniers, never mind any bigger panniers I might upgrade to. I notice Givi do offer an indicator relocation kit, though it looks inelegant and is doubtless pricey.

So I was wondering about fitting a supplemental pair of LED indicators under the edge of the top box rack. Does anyone know if the Honda flasher relay will be happy with the resulting slightly increased load?

I suppose I could alternatively replace all the existing bulbs with LEDs, and an LED relay (does it work) or just the bulbs and fit bodging load resistors. More cost & faff though.

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
Re: Additional LED Indicators
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 10:53:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by SilverCycle [+]
Hi, I was looking at the way my X's rear indicators (2017 model, so real bulbs) are partly obscured by even my small economy Givi panniers, never mind any bigger panniers I might upgrade to. I notice Givi do offer an indicator relocation kit, though it looks inelegant and is doubtless pricey.

So I was wondering about fitting a supplemental pair of LED indicators under the edge of the top box rack. Does anyone know if the Honda flasher relay will be happy with the resulting slightly increased load?

I suppose I could alternatively replace all the existing bulbs with LEDs, and an LED relay (does it work) or just the bulbs and fit bodging load resistors. More cost & faff though.

if the issue is that the lights are partly obscured then re locating would seem like the easiest solution, or simply using indicators with a longer stalk...the CRF250 L front indicators are basically the same shape as the X but IIRC they are longer...

failing that, go the whole hog and fit some nice LEDs all round...I'm waiting for some oem KTM dukes to turn up for a sensible price

Offline SilverCycle

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 08:51:55 AM »
I don't think a longer stalk does the job, might even merely foul the panniers. The Givi kit has kinda plates to relocate the existing stalks backwards and upwards. That's the right location, but it's rather clonky in execution, and I'm getting galled at the idea of adding more & more steel plates.

Whereas on my particular bike (but not Givi's generic) I do have the top box rack, permanently fitted, that's high & rearwards. That was my thinking...

Online rambrose

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: YBR125 & CB500X
  • City / Town: Plymouth
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 01:32:47 PM »
I've fitted a LED strip below the number plate.

Turn signals are on the ends and they strobe when the indicator bulb is lit.
The strobe function is built into the strip and has no effect on the original flasher.

The strip is a cheap Chinese jobby <10. The one on my 125 commuter works fine after 3 winters.

I've just got some led replacement indicators that I've yet to fit (need a relay).
I'm away this weekend (HUBB event in Wales if anyone is going) but if you don't get an answer I'll look to slave them in next week and see if they effect the flashing.
2017 CB500x ABS. RR Lvl1 forks. Fender extenders. Rear Honda hugger. Honda centre stand. Oxford advanced pro touring heated grips. Barkbuster VPS guards. Bar riser. GPS bar. Zumo660. Mirror extenders. Clip on screen deflector. RR foot pegs. Rotopax fuel can. Rr led light repeaters. Givi Trekker 46Ltr top box, 33ltr panniers

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 04:41:30 PM »
I don't think a longer stalk does the job, might even merely foul the panniers. The Givi kit has kinda plates to relocate the existing stalks backwards and upwards. That's the right location, but it's rather clonky in execution, and I'm getting galled at the idea of adding more & more steel plates.

Whereas on my particular bike (but not Givi's generic) I do have the top box rack, permanently fitted, that's high & rearwards. That was my thinking...

it might be clonky but at least you'll know they'll be in a visible location. Failing that, have a look at some of the aftermarket options like Rambrose's solution...

I will say this though, having succumbed to the temptation of buying mini indicators in the past, you get what you pay for...there's a reason some cost 5 a pair and others (that look remarkably similar) are nearly ten times the price. I tend to look at OEM from other bikes/manufacturers as they're usually better quality and readily available secondhand from people making the same mistake as I have... :008:

Offline SilverCycle

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 04:58:31 PM »
Yes, well, thanks for confirming my suspicion that a lot of the aftermarket indicators will be rubbish - which I guess means dim and/or poor viewing angles, leaving durability aside.

I notice that some suppliers claim E marking, and others explicitly say they're not. I wonder if E marking indicates a minimum light output & angle?

Offline mark-forrest

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500x, VanVan
  • City / Town: Preston, UK
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2019, 06:51:07 PM »
I've fitted one of the led strips to my top box, done about 30,000 miles now over a couple of winters.

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2019, 11:14:00 PM »
Yes, well, thanks for confirming my suspicion that a lot of the aftermarket indicators will be rubbish - which I guess means dim and/or poor viewing angles, leaving durability aside.

I notice that some suppliers claim E marking, and others explicitly say they're not. I wonder if E marking indicates a minimum light output & angle?

an E marking means it's been Type approved for EU use...the number refers to the country, so E11 is UK, E1 Germany etc....

Since it's a very simple job to cast an E mark into a plastic light housing and you can then charge more on a foreign website, if I was a dodgy manufacturer, guess what I'd be doing? E1 is generally recognized as the most stringent, so German made/type approved headlamps, etc are usually top drawer...most MoT testers wouldn't know the difference between a genuine and a sketchy, to be frank...

Online CB-500-X

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X
  • City / Town: South Florida
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2019, 02:53:00 AM »
Heres your solution  https://hyperlites.com/

Offline SilverCycle

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2019, 07:36:42 AM »
Hmmm. I can see a lot of hyper in the text!

I know LEDs are a lot more efficient than incandescent - although actual figures for automotive style 12v systems are extremely hard to come by. I've seen figures of 10% for incandescent - though they may mean mains. Let's assume 5% by the time it's a cheapo 12v bulb and orange filtered. I think my indicator bulbs are 21W. 5% of that is 1W isn't it? So a 1/4W "Hyperlight", if 100% efficient in amber, is 1/4 the brightness. Same as those case where folks put a 5W bulb in their brake light - can you see it in daylight: No.

I converted a camper about 5 years ago, all LED lighting of course, my memory from that is that a 2W LED is nice and bright, I guess equivalent to 20-40W incandescent. And there was a lot of variation in usefulness, meaning I guess light output.

So I don't think a 1/4W LED will suffice for indicator (or brake).

Except if the flashing duty cycle is less than 25 and the 1/4W current is continuous (smoothed).

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage