Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: DIY Givi pannier rack modification  (Read 1134 times)

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
DIY Givi pannier rack modification
« on: July 14, 2019, 02:31:52 AM »
Thought I'd post up my most recent farklings in case someone else is thinking along similar lines...

I've had a pair of old school Givi E 35 cases for a while and they've been excellent, but I also like the idea of throwovers for certain trips. Managed to get some new, unused Enduristan Monsoon 3s for a great price so started looking at making some bag supports. It made sense to fettle something up that would take cases or soft bags, so the obvious place to start was a standard monokey pannier rack. These are available for the X but having seen a few vids and pics they stick out too far for my liking, plus they're quite far back. As mentioned in another post, I never tour two-up so further forward and narrower was the plan.

Sourced some cheap used racks off Fleabay and set to work with the angle grinder to remove the original arms as I only needed the rectangular frames.

Next job was to make some triangular gusset plates for the top corners of each rectangle. These are from 3mm steel. I'm using the grab rail mounting points (with a Givi monorack already fitted).

With the frames offered up, it was then a case of deciding where to take off a supporting arm in relation to suitable mounting points. A few options are available but I went with the back pillion peg hanger bolt, as both 'arms could then be bent to the same profile. The chain oiler would also be less vulnerable. Using the hole behind the left pillion footpeg and the exhaust hanger would require a separate bend for each side.

To arrive at the right shape I used a piece of old hard brake line as it's easy to bend by hand.

This was the basic shape I settled on...

For lateral support between the racks I made a cross brace in much the same way, but thought I'd make use of the tailpiece subframe as an additional mounting point. This required installing a bolt from behind the subframe, plus a plate 'washer' and spacer. The plate washer is shaped to fit snugly behind the tailpiece subframe rails....there are a couple of tabs welded on to the rails already (for the splash trim bolts) but these struck me as a bit weedy for the job in hand.

plate washer fits behind the subframe rails...

and the bolt goes thru from behind the reflector so will be hidden once installed...

Once everything lined up, I enlisted the help of a local engineering company to create the bends from 16mm bright mild tube (2mm wall thickness)....there's no way on God's green earth I was going to try to bend that gauge tube with a pipe bender....I tried something similar for a campervan roof rack years ago and gave it up as a bad job!

The finished bends were seam welded and profiled to suit...I'm away next week so won't have time to get the racks powder coated so etch primer and a couple of coats of plastidip will do as a stop gap.

20mm spacers used to clear the footpeg hanger...

Tacked up before removal for a full stitch both sides of the arm to avoid a water trap

cross brace and bracket...the givi racks already had tangs :028:

Cases fitted...about an inch narrower than the barkbusters... :152:

and clear the indicators....Result!

Tip for anyone with Givi monokey pannier frames:

The locking catch is easily removed with an allen key by removing two M5 bolts....this means that some scrote can nick your cases even when 'locked' onto the frames...for the princely sum of 1.60 I've replaced all the allen bolts with A4 stainless security screws which are an arse to remove unless you have the right driver bit...

« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 03:03:47 AM by Jonathan »

Offline Ceddy17

• CB500X Pro
  • Ed
    • View Profile
Re: DIY Givi pannier rack modification
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 09:52:14 AM »
Looks better that way and a lot sturdier.
Nice job!
Ed.
... don't concentrate on the finger ...  Stay Safe  ...

Offline CB-500-X

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X
  • City / Town: South Florida
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 01:44:13 PM »
 :152: :821: :028:

Offline harryhendo

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X
  • City / Town: Charlottesville
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 02:09:38 PM »
Great work. The panniers look like they are factory integrated!
2016 Honda CB500X, Matte Black (bought new 2019)
1987 BMW R80, Black (bought new 1987)
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA

Offline ewryly

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
  • City / Town: West Hartford
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2019, 06:19:37 AM »
Impressive!

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2019, 11:50:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by ewryly [+]
Impressive!

Managed to get a couple of coats of plastidip on them the other day, when the weather was half decent. eventually I'll get them powder coated to back match the rack but they'll do for now...

after a few minutes staring at them, I kind of forgot they were on there....so I'm happy with the end result. :169:

Offline SilverCycle

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 17 Red
  • City / Town: Sunny Worthing
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2019, 08:39:27 PM »
I'm interested! My X had Givi racks on when I got it, with the basic E22 cases. Immediately irksome how wide the racks are - seems like 120mm or so each side, of unnecessary width. Guess it may facilitate pillion, it's about 60mm clear of each indicator, so not wide just for them. Your mod looks like it brings them right in. Especially now I got some second hand E41 panniers for camping - the bike's now 99cm wide on a trip!
I am inclined to copy you, but maybe not the shift forwards, as I'd like to retain pillion ability. Can move the indicators if necessary. Unfortunately would probably lose the Givi toolbox as it fits in the gap.
Jonathan - Are these narrow mounted panniers still clear of the brake disk, chain, etc when the suspension bottoms out?
Anyone else - ideas for remounting SL250 toolbox if it can't go inside the rack?

Offline gregjet

• CB500X Pro
  • Go forth and modify
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Bundaberg
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2019, 09:19:27 PM »
I have a set of bigger Givis with a different mount that I want to put on , and have the same idea as you to get them narrow as possible and forward, as well as low as possible. The exhaust is the limiter on low. I like the plate idea.
These racks are different from yours but similar enough to use tha plate trick, though I may have to use CS bolt heads.
Like you I want to put a solid rack between though I will probably make it a lockdown using std lock ( I have the CBR seat and I have single seat Registration which means no pillion seat).

Offline SilverCycle

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 17 Red
  • City / Town: Sunny Worthing
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2019, 09:32:11 PM »
I have another query or thought, or suggestion.. On my annoyingly wide standard Givi rack, the rack squares are fixed to the bike by those slanted, wiggly, steel tube arms welded to the edges of the rack.
So those arms look ugly & too long & position the rack awkwardly. But I am fairly confident that in a drop those arms would bend & absorb a lot of impact that might otherwise hit the bike's frame (and bodywork too). If the rack is really strong & rigid, could it be troublesome & expensive in accidents?

Offline gregjet

• CB500X Pro
  • Go forth and modify
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Bundaberg
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2019, 10:11:44 PM »
The Honda Cb500x subframe is a marvel or megastructure engineering. Seriously overengineered. Unlesss you do something equally as massive , any pannier frame and panniers are going to be destryoed long before the rear subframe notices something is happening.
 If I was with Honda and given the task improving the bike , a lighter ( probably cheaper) rear subframe would be amongst the first upgrades.
The corollory is that the subframe is a fantastic luggage carrier even with a passanger.

Recent Topics