Author Topic: 2019 CB500X Headlight Adjustment (low beam)  (Read 5022 times)

Offline arzipper

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: 2020 CB500X ABS
Re: 2019 CB500X Headlight Adjustment (low beam)
Reply #20 on: August 18, 2020, 10:48:01 PM
I'll add my two cents here since to me it *seemed* to me like the previous posts had conflicting information. The gist: an 8mm socket/crescent/box wrench turned counter/anti clockwise will lower the headlight. A #2 phillips (the "normal" phillips) turned clockwise will lower the headlight. I found the latter to be far easier.

Here is another photo of the adjustment "screw" in question. I found the easiest way to park the bike, and turn the bars all the way to the right. Position yourself on the right side of the front wheel, looking up from the floor with your head right next to the fork. Take your #2 phillips screwdriver and guide it in that plastic slot. Clockwise to lower the headlight. Takes 5 minutes. For reference, I have a brand new 2020 model and the headlight was aimed far too high.

Offline spirit986

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X ABS
Reply #21 on: August 19, 2020, 07:15:10 AM
*Originally Posted by nicholas [+]
new here
came across this forum in search of knowledge to adjust the lights.

so i guess everyone by now knows manual is missing lot of info.

2 adjusters as stated before .
 1st one up and right ,turn clockwise sets the beam lower.
  2nd one down and left as we sit on bike turn clockwise sets the beam to the right.
100% sure of that
i just fixed them.
im 1.80 cm and 76 kg
rear suspsension lower position set.
front preload at lowest - softest
i also had to lower the bike front forks (14mm abd 10mm screws) by 8mm
8mm is the difference between the rear suspension's factory set and lowest one.
so i had to drop it an equal 8mm in the front .
with this set up i have perfect lighting . upcoming traffic not complaining and road signs dont shine at all . even with 2 person 60 kg.

hope that helps .
excuse any grammar mistakes
english isnt my native language

For most of us here English isn't our language and for me, your English is just fine. Thanks for the info.

I have another question about the high beam this time.
On my bike, 2019 version, when I am adjusting the low beam, the high beam moves along with the low beam. This makes it so that when the low beam is set as it should be, the high beam is low and not reaching far enough down the road. To explain it better, for me it feels like the high beam is like an enhanced low beam since both shine at the same area. Normally I would expect the high beam to shine well behind the low beam ~200m or more up ahead.

This makes me to raise the question, can I manually adjust the high beam? Does anyone else have the same problem?
Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 07:35:30 AM by spirit986

Offline nicholas

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: cb500x
Reply #22 on: August 19, 2020, 10:22:53 AM
You are correct.
High and low beam are part of the same headlight assembly.
By adjusting low beam the high beam is adjusted accordingly.
I don't think there is a way of adjusting one separately.
I think it's about finding that perfect spot of adjustment for low beam and ( by manufacturer's logic ) high beam should point correctly.
I think they used the same headlight assembly for the 18 model with the lowered suspension and the 17 inch wheel.
19 model has raised suspension and 19 inch wheel.

That's why it aims so high at factory settings ( I think )

Offline CMBANA

• CB500X Newbie
  • Bike: 2016 CB 500X
Reply #23 on: October 19, 2020, 09:53:02 AM
Aaarghh! My newly acquired 2016 has issues with the beam focus as well. Been thru the exercise, located the adjusters, set the vertical dip beam adjustment to correct height but find when switch to high beam the high beam is lower than the dip beam (almost like the high beam circuit is reverse wired with low beam). Same problem as other posters here - dip beam annoying other road users with light flaring up on road signage. Switch to high beam and I might as well use a torch.   :009:  Something very fishy going on here and I intend hauling the whole unit off the bike and digging in....!

Offline manray

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: CB500X
Reply #24 on: October 19, 2020, 05:15:09 PM
*Originally Posted by CMBANA [+]
Aaarghh! My newly acquired 2016 has issues with the beam focus as well. Been thru the exercise, located the adjusters, set the vertical dip beam adjustment to correct height but find when switch to high beam the high beam is lower than the dip beam (almost like the high beam circuit is reverse wired with low beam). Same problem as other posters here - dip beam annoying other road users with light flaring up on road signage. Switch to high beam and I might as well use a torch.   :009:  Something very fishy going on here and I intend hauling the whole unit off the bike and digging in....!

If the headlight is at the correct level when stationary yet blinding others when you are riding the bike, the problem is your rear shock is sagging too much when the bike is ridden (i.e. weight on the back of the bike raises the front).  To correct, add more pre-load to your rear shock.

Offline CMBANA

• CB500X Newbie
  • Bike: 2016 CB 500X
Reply #25 on: October 20, 2020, 03:18:04 AM
Hi Manray. We took that factor into account when making the initial adjustments. The problem seems to be that the high beam is much lower than the dip beam. The dip beam shows a cut off pattern and the high beam displays a general spread. Given that the two adjusters on the unit provide only a traverse adjustment and vertical adjustment for both beams, it seems there is a fault in bulb or connection.
I doubt Honda would have initially built a headlamp with that kind of fault incorporated as it probably would not pass any kind of vehicle safety inspection (given my domicile I doubt it would have ever been examined to that degree) so I am left wondering at 12,000km what is really amiss with this unit. Time to dismantle and have a physical look methinks....  Thanks for your input anyway.  :002:

Offline nicholas

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: cb500x
Reply #26 on: October 20, 2020, 05:17:39 AM
*Originally Posted by CMBANA [+]
Hi Manray. We took that factor into account when making the initial adjustments. The problem seems to be that the high beam is much lower than the dip beam. The dip beam shows a cut off pattern and the high beam displays a general spread. Given that the two adjusters on the unit provide only a traverse adjustment and vertical adjustment for both beams, it seems there is a fault in bulb or connection.
I doubt Honda would have initially built a headlamp with that kind of fault incorporated as it probably would not pass any kind of vehicle safety inspection (given my domicile I doubt it would have ever been examined to that degree) so I am left wondering at 12,000km what is really amiss with this unit. Time to dismantle and have a physical look methinks....  Thanks for your input anyway.  :002:

There is no bulb in there .
Only multiple led lights .

We are doomed

victorious-backstage