Author Topic: HONDA CB500X LOSING POWER - VERY STRANGE PROBLEM  (Read 5388 times)

Offline STOKIE

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2020 CB500X
Re: HONDA CB500X LOSING POWER - VERY STRANGE PROBLEM
Reply #30 on: August 13, 2020, 07:56:17 AM
Certainly sounds like the fuel pump is struggling to pick up fuel,so could be filters or fuel pump is on the way out. Also check the throttle position sensor as this could be sending wrong signals to ECU.  :027:

Offline glencoeman

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: CB500X
Reply #31 on: August 13, 2020, 08:34:09 AM
Have you sorted the problem as this is was originally posted nearly 11 months ago?
Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 08:38:09 AM by glencoeman

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
Reply #32 on: August 13, 2020, 01:16:11 PM
*Originally Posted by markking [+]
Years ago I was a Vauxhall mechanic in a main dealership. There was an iffy batch of factory-fitted fuel pump relays that would fail after running for a time. Cycling the ignition would effect an immediate but only temporary cure. We made link wires to bypass the relay, go for a drive, and if the car stopped stopping (if that makes sense?), then I'd fit a new relay.

It's worth try, if there's a relay - and I can't see that there won't be - try by-passing it and go for a ride.

I imagine you were kept quite busy being a Vauxhall mechanic :001:

been a frustrated owner of a Meriva B for the last 6 months...M32 gearbox rebuild at 60K, steering pump toast at 62K...all good fun  :138:, but at least my back doors open the wrong way round :008:

Offline FireRescueMedic

• CB500X Member
Reply #33 on: August 18, 2020, 09:17:17 PM
*Originally Posted by STOKIE [+]
Certainly sounds like the fuel pump is struggling to pick up fuel,so could be filters or fuel pump is on the way out. Also check the throttle position sensor as this could be sending wrong signals to ECU.  :027:

I believe itís the TPS now. Rode yesterday for about 20 miles and had no problems if lightly on the throttle but when I got into certain areas in the throttle like 30% and more is when it started losing rpms. Up to that 30% and beyond it would gain rpm and ride perfectly.

Offline FireRescueMedic

• CB500X Member
Reply #34 on: August 18, 2020, 09:18:18 PM
Keep in mind this bike has 3k miles and I can hear the fuel pump running the entire time I ride. Idles normally.

Offline Aggie95

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: '14 CB500X
Reply #35 on: August 22, 2020, 03:17:22 PM
Did anyone see Hardfacts report back on his problem?  Was it just me, or was he very rude to several guys who tried to help him out?  And, then he never reported back on a solution to his problem...   :187: 

Lots of people offered him advise; the minimum courtesy would have been for him to report a solution, or no solution     :151:

Maybe he gave up on solving the problem...   :084:

1971-1973: '67 CL77 (305 Scrambler), Sold, because my wife said to...
2018: '14 CB500X, The dream bike of my youth!  Thanks, Son

Online motorboy

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
Reply #36 on: August 22, 2020, 03:44:21 PM
*Originally Posted by Aggie95 [+]
Did anyone see Hardfacts report back on his problem?  Was it just me, or was he very rude to several guys who tried to help him out?  And, then he never reported back on a solution to his problem...   :187: 

Lots of people offered him advise; the minimum courtesy would have been for him to report a solution, or no solution     :151:

Maybe he gave up on solving the problem...   :084:
Don't take it personally it happens all the time-the important thing is he did get many answers and that's what were here for to share
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline FireRescueMedic

• CB500X Member
Reply #37 on: August 22, 2020, 04:31:53 PM
Iím very sorry if I was the one being taken as rude. I myself very much appreciate all the insight. I still have not figured out what was causing the problem that has came and gone multiple times. I ride everyday and since I myself had posted last about the problem it has not done it again but I just have in the back of my head that it will do it again. I donít understand why it can be a problem that comes and goes and isnít one that is persistent.

Offline Aggie95

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: '14 CB500X
Reply #38 on: August 22, 2020, 08:20:41 PM
FireRescueMedic,  You are certainly not the one I was referring to;  HardFacts is who I was referring to. I felt he was quite rude to some of the respondents and then just disappeared without informing the forum of any resolution he may have discovered...

I wish I knew the solution to your problem; I would share it with you if I did.  I do have an opinion about the problem...  The characteristics sound to me like a computer problem.  Every time the electrical power is cycled the problem goes away for a while.  That is very characteristic of an electrical problem that is rebooted or reset each time the power is cycled. I'm leaning toward the ECU, or a sensor that is reset on the new cycle, but I'm not very familiar with this bike's electrical controls, so I can't make an educated guess as to which one it might be.  I don't think it has anything to do with filters or pumps, or any of those suggestions...

1971-1973: '67 CL77 (305 Scrambler), Sold, because my wife said to...
2018: '14 CB500X, The dream bike of my youth!  Thanks, Son

Offline FireRescueMedic

• CB500X Member
Reply #39 on: August 22, 2020, 09:31:57 PM
*Originally Posted by Aggie95 [+]
FireRescueMedic,  You are certainly not the one I was referring to;  HardFacts is who I was referring to. I felt he was quite rude to some of the respondents and then just disappeared without informing the forum of any resolution he may have discovered...

I wish I knew the solution to your problem; I would share it with you if I did.  I do have an opinion about the problem...  The characteristics sound to me like a computer problem.  Every time the electrical power is cycled the problem goes away for a while.  That is very characteristic of an electrical problem that is rebooted or reset each time the power is cycled. I'm leaning toward the ECU, or a sensor that is reset on the new cycle, but I'm not very familiar with this bike's electrical controls, so I can't make an educated guess as to which one it might be.  I don't think it has anything to do with filters or pumps, or any of those suggestions...

I certainly agree brother especially with it being so non persistent.

victorious-backstage