Author Topic: Report on the conversion of my CBX 2019  (Read 17214 times)

Offline foamy

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: 2017 CB500x
Re: Report on the conversion of my CBX 2019
Reply #130 on: April 22, 2020, 05:11:59 PM
Just getting caught up on the thread—nice work adman! You will definitely be getting some admiring looks at the stop-light.
Greetings from the land of Pleasant Living!

Offline adman

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CB 500X PC64
Reply #131 on: April 27, 2020, 08:20:22 PM
Today we took advantage of the sunny weather again and did a round. It went through small and tiny roads to the dams here in the Bergisches Land. First past the Dhünn dam, then on to the Linge dam and the Agger dam until we came to the Bigge reservoir and took a break. Back we went past the Fürwigge reservoir to the Bever dam. From there it went home.
Time and opportunity enough to test some converted things and also to try out the new tank bag.
Since all restaurants are still closed here, we took bread, drinks and other delicacies with us. The tank bag was well filled, but it fits a lot, it should be big enough for a day or weekend tour. The six magnets hold the backpack securely in place even at higher speeds, the strap around the steering head is only for safety, but is actually not necessary in normal driving. The Qbag does not affect driving behavior in any way, with one tiny, funny exception. If you have filled out the left side compartment well and if you turn the handlebars to the full left while standing, the horn button can come in contact to the side compartment. My Italian two-tone horn really startled people.  :005:
On the subject of buffeting: I have the impression that the tank bag slightly reduces and redirects the wind pressure on the body. The buffeting has decreased, but of course changes with the seating position.
Some of the things I've changed have been useful. The extended mirror arms now show the street behind me and no longer my arms. The renovation was worth it. The new handles offer good grip, for the throttle grip I have adjusted the throttle cable at the bottom so that I have selected the fine adjustment on the adjuster so that the play in the throttle cable is a minimum. This suits my driving style and ensures a quick connection when changing gears.
Today I found 4th gear as my favorite, it is very well translated. In the right gear and at the right speed, the small X is also good for following more powerful motorcycles. The longer I drive the little X, the more fun it is for me, its handling is wonderful.  :152:
... and I love this 19 "front wheel.  :046:
A straight line is only the shortest connection between two curves ...

Offline Oyley

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: CB500x 2019
Reply #132 on: April 27, 2020, 08:42:06 PM
The Africa Twin amongst other bikes such as GS's have the issue of even relatively small tank bags catching the horn button, there are little plates available to stop this happening, a friend has one on his A Twin..they are do simple and easy to make.May be with looking at one online and making one up...I think Rugged Roads may list them on their website.

Offline adman

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #133 on: July 12, 2020, 08:31:11 PM
The next thing I did was to look at and add to the tool kit. The following tools are now also on board:
● 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - 12 mm wrenches
● 8 - 10 - 14 mm socket wrench
● 1/4 inch adjustable ratchet
● various bits including Torx with small ratchet (right / left)
● Multitool with pliers and various tools
● small scissors
● Allen key all common sizes up to 8mm
● Replacement fuses of various strengths
● Cable ties in three different lengths
● Tire breakdown set
● Writing pad, ballpoint pen and official papers
● small first aid kit (the set shown has been replaced by a soft little bag)
● various cleaning rags
● bright red safety vest (not in the photo)

In order to be able to store everything easily under the seat, some (unnecessary) plastic parts had to be cut off on the seat and the top of the rear fender.
Since I do not intend to drive through the Gobi Desert or to Tierra del Fuego, this should be enough as the first emergency tool.

Offline adman

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #134 on: October 20, 2020, 06:49:20 PM
For a long time I was concerned with the question of a luggage system. A complete case system was out of the question, rather something for a short trip or for the weekend and to stow the helmet. Tank bag and a small soft tail bag are already there, now it should be something solid.
Topcases are available in abundance in different sizes, designs and qualities. After reviewing the market, two or three cases were shortlisted, which I then specifically looked for on the used market. The favorite was the Givi Trekker Outback 42 L with a practical size and very good quality, unfortunately not cheap either.
After months of searching, I bought exactly this case in top condition with an inner pocket, carrier plate, lock, keys and complete fastening material in the electronic bay. All parts are like new and I'm so glad I bought it.
Now I'm still missing the right rear rack for my 2019 X.

Offline adman

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #135 on: October 20, 2020, 06:50:31 PM