Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Simple, cheap screen mod...does it really work?  (Read 473 times)

slackerdeluxe, Bat7 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Topo

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
Simple, cheap screen mod...does it really work?
« on: September 13, 2019, 12:21:38 AM »

I'm one of the riders that would like less buffeting and noise. Happened upon this guy's home made alteration of the the angle of the windscreen, using a couple spacers and longer screws. Would that angle change really make such a huge difference? 

Offline motorboy

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
  • City / Town: Cajun Country
Re: Simple, cheap screen mod...does it really work?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 02:11:00 PM »
You didn't say what year bike you have because over the span of the bike Honda has used three different shields and it can be tough to find a shield combo that works--I was shocked to find the shield on my 2019 works great as is-I'm convinced the vent holes have alot to do with it
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline Topo

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 04:54:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by motorboy [+]
You didn't say what year bike you have because over the span of the bike Honda has used three different shields and it can be tough to find a shield combo that works--I was shocked to find the shield on my 2019 works great as is-I'm convinced the vent holes have alot to do with it

Mine is a 2019. Yeah, the stock shield works pretty well, to just below my forehead. That causes quite a bit of buffeting and noise for me. It's so close, but not quite there. I think I will try this mod and see what happens.

Offline VDZ

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500xa
  • City / Town: K-W
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 05:24:45 PM »
I tried that fix and found it wanting, even after I fitted the newer tall screen with the vent holes. What has worked rather well that is also a really cheap fix was to take a couple pieces of 1/4" lexan about 2.5" x 8 or 9 inches and use those to extend the brackets. Basically 4 holes in each with the same pattern as the screen, It moved my screen up about 4.5 inches and its pretty functional. Looks like a dogs breakfast, but works. Next step is to get a piece of stainless or aluminum 1/8" thick and do the same thing but with one large piece shaped to match the features of the front of the bike.

Offline Topo

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 06:28:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by VDZ [+]
I tried that fix and found it wanting........

Too bad that angle mod didn't work. Guess I could try it anyway. I get what you're describing to extend the height. I think I have some strong pieces of alloy that could be used to raise the entire shield, like your mod...have to take a look at that over the weekend. Other than that, I *did* see a givi taller shield, but it was a hundred bucks or more.

Offline motorboy

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2019, 04:34:52 AM »
*Originally Posted by Topo [+]
Mine is a 2019. Yeah, the stock shield works pretty well, to just below my forehead. That causes quite a bit of buffeting and noise for me. It's so close, but not quite there. I think I will try this mod and see what happens.
Just asking but you did try raising it up

Offline Topo

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2019, 04:53:14 AM »
*Originally Posted by motorboy
[/quote
Yep...it was initially on the lower setup...needs about 3 more inches higher, Im guessing.

Offline Topo

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2019, 07:00:22 AM »
I was just reading that other 90 page thread about windscreens. Several posts about adding the spacers, that Im asking about here, to the bottom screws. The vid I linked to is adding them to the top, which would decrease the angle. Theres even one fellow that adds them to all four screws. Its all over the place. Some like the givi screen, some the madstad, some like yet another manufacturers model. So many different opinions and results...its very confusing.

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2019, 10:46:07 AM »
*Originally Posted by Topo [+]
I was just reading that other 90 page thread about windscreens. Several posts about adding the spacers, that Im asking about here, to the bottom screws. The vid I linked to is adding them to the top, which would decrease the angle. Theres even one fellow that adds them to all four screws. Its all over the place. Some like the givi screen, some the madstad, some like yet another manufacturers model. So many different opinions and results...its very confusing.

To cut a long story short, it's a design flaw...the X has a small frontal area and the rider sits too far behind the screen to really benefit from any deflection...if you stand up, you're in clean air, if you hutch down and lean forward, you're in clean (er) air....the confusion stems from the fact that what is 'effective' is highly subjective and personal. quality earplugs are the cheapest option

Offline motorboy

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2019, 02:24:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by motorboy [+]
When I got this bike I said if the shield does not work I'm not going to spend big bucks on many shields hopeing something works I'm going to try one of those $20 Ebay Amazon clamp on extension didn't need to but you might want to look into one

Recent Topics