Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Help installing Barkbuster hand guards  (Read 262 times)

Oyabun and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Topo

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Grass Valley
Help installing Barkbuster hand guards
« on: October 12, 2019, 10:15:03 PM »
Got these single mounting point guards and am trying to figure out how to get them installed. Twisted Throttle, who I got them from, were no help at all. After much fiddling, I was able to break loose the bar end screw on the bike holding the stock little weight thing. But, theres another inner sleeve, which the weight attaches to with a screw. I can sort-of get the sleeve to come out a little, but it doesnt want to break free. If I can get that out, theres a new sleeve and screw that will replace it. Its also tricky to make sure the spacing is correct because it needs enough room for the brake or clutch lever.
Anyone done this? Thought it would be simple. Instructions are terrible. Customer support was not helpful.   :023: Thanks for any help here.

Online Twempie

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Seattle
Re: Help installing Barkbuster hand guards
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 10:28:37 PM »
If I understand your question correctly, this has been covered a few times. My contribution is in this thread.

Posting a few pictures to support your dilemma really helps.

https://www.cb500x.com/index.php/topic,8269.msg81786.html#msg81786

Offline Topo

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 12:29:39 AM »
*Originally Posted by Twempie [+]
If I understand your question correctly, this has been covered a few times. My contribution is in this thread.

Posting a few pictures to support your dilemma really helps.

https://www.cb500x.com/index.php/topic,8269.msg81786.html#msg81786

Thanks  :062:  Assuming Im able to get those inserts out, I still have a couple questions. One is about the single mount point BBusters model TT sold me. They say the one screw in the end is adequate, and it allows avoiding the hassle of finding space on the handlebar to attach a clamp. Anyway, Im inclined to install these, unless someone knows a single mounting point is not sufficient. Otherwise, Ill send them back and get the other.

The other issue is whether the new inserts can be stubbed out a bit to allow the brake and clutch lever to pull in all the way. If so, that would leave a 1/2 of the insert showing between the end of the hand and the guard metal. Wonder if that will be weird  :191:  Heres some images of what Im talking about.

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 05:53:06 AM »
Hi Topo - as Twempie says, the removal of the bar-end weights has been covered a few times on this forum, this illustrates the tangs you need to press and twist to remove the weight assembly as a whole:

The single point (bar-end style) BarkBuster mounts work fine for weather protection, but if you drop the bike they are likely to spin around, and potentially you'll damage your levers...

In that regard, and to kill two birds with one stone with regard to the OEM levers being too long anyway, consider getting the shorty-adjustable billet levers from Rally-Raid, they are very strong (even without hand-guards fitted), and adjustable for reach on both the brake and clutch side.

Hope that helps...

Jenny x
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 05:54:28 AM by JMo »
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline Lancs-lad

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 cb500x
  • City / Town: Colne
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 04:30:40 PM »
Having fitted the 2 point Barkbusters to my previous cb500x I wouldn't go through the hassle removing the bar ends to fit the single point ones, the 2 point mounts are far stronger, as you suggest I'd send them back & get the 2 point version.
Red Rose Classic MCC

Offline Topo

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 05:04:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by Lancs-lad [+]
Having fitted the 2 point Barkbusters to my previous cb500x I wouldn't go through the hassle removing the bar ends to fit the single point ones, the 2 point mounts are far stronger, as you suggest I'd send them back & get the 2 point version.

So...how do the 2 point attach if not at the bar end for one point?  From the input by people, Im confident Ill be able to get the inserts out, but the bigger issue is that 1/2 inch where Id need a spacer at the end because of where the brake/clutch lever end up when pulled in. I linked to a photo of that in my previous post. 

One other thing concerns me; now that I was able to get the bar end off, it will not tighten back up when I put it back together. The screw goes in fine, but the whole insert will spin once I get to a certain point.  :191:

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 05:16:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by Topo [+]

One other thing concerns me; now that I was able to get the bar end off, it will not tighten back up when I put it back together. The screw goes in fine, but the whole insert will spin once I get to a certain point.  :191:

The insert is designed to spin (so the bars don't dig in and flip the bike in the event you slide down the road on your arse), which is why you're having trouble... however, as long as you've screwed it back in a few turns, you can remove the whole insert using the method Twempie/I describe, and then tighten the bar-end onto the insert holding it in a vice or similar once you've got it out.

As I say, the single bar-end mounting backbone is fine for weather protection, just not designed to protect the levers/controls in a drop in the same way - they work, but do tend to rotate.

Jx

ps. As for your other concern, as I suggested previously - either fit shorter aftermarket levers or consider cutting an inch off your stock ones so they fit inside the backbone.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 05:18:07 PM by JMo »
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline Topo

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 06:02:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by JMo [+]
......as long as you've screwed it back in a few turns, you can remove the whole insert using the method Twempie/I describe, and then tighten the bar-end onto the insert holding it in a vice or similar once you've got it out.

As I say, the single bar-end mounting backbone is fine for weather protection, just not designed to protect the levers/controls in a drop in the same way - they work, but do tend to rotate.

As for your other concern, as I suggested previously - either fit shorter aftermarket levers or consider cutting an inch off your stock ones so they fit inside the backbone.

Ahhh...thanks Jenny....you tighten the assembly outside the bars, then reinsert. I wouldnt have figured that out. I assume the tangs will snap back into place.

So, if Im to proceed with these single points, step one is going to be getting the shorter levers. How difficult is that remove and install process?

If I want the two point guards, it sounds like the stock levers arent an issue, because they mount differently? Not sure what that is...

This has turned out to be a bit of a process. Maybe I should start with a more straightforward mod and order the Givi rack and top case.  :169:

Really appreciate all the guidance. My riding buddy says just bite the bullet and take it to the shop, but I like the hands on.....built and fixed stuff all my life...

Offline Lancs-lad

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 cb500x
  • City / Town: Colne
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 07:51:49 PM »
So...how do the 2 point attach if not at the bar end for one point?  From the input by people, Im confident Ill be able to get the inserts out, but the bigger issue is that 1/2 inch where Id need a spacer at the end because of where the brake/clutch lever end up when pulled in. I linked to a photo of that in my previous post.   :191:

Sorry I didn't make my point clearly enough, what I meant was if you remove the OEM bars ends then I would fit the 2 point mount Barkbusters, once the OEM bar ends are out which only takes a few mins fitting the bar end mount & inner clamp is straightforward and there is no problem accommodating the OEM levers, you can use Storm guards to give excellent wind cover or the smaller better looking VPS guards. Hope that's a bit clearer??
Red Rose Classic MCC

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 09:02:34 PM »
Ahhh...thanks Jenny....you tighten the assembly outside the bars, then reinsert. I wouldnt have figured that out. I assume the tangs will snap back into place.

So, if Im to proceed with these single points, step one is going to be getting the shorter levers. How difficult is that remove and install process?

If I want the two point guards, it sounds like the stock levers arent an issue, because they mount differently? Not sure what that is...

This has turned out to be a bit of a process. Maybe I should start with a more straightforward mod and order the Givi rack and top case.  :169:

Really appreciate all the guidance. My riding buddy says just bite the bullet and take it to the shop, but I like the hands on.....built and fixed stuff all my life...

Yes, the tangs should snap back into place in their respective holes in the bars (note that the silver metal insert spins inside the piece with the tangs in, and the bush on the inner end).

Personally, if you've got this far, I'd just junk the OEM bar-ends and inserts, and fit the Barkbusters with some short levers... (either the ones you've got, or the two point mounting that Lancs' suggests). Swapping levers is very easy - it's basically one bolt on the brake side, plus loosen the clutch cable adjuster first and then one bolt on the clutch side - plenty of YouTube videos if you can't work out the order of things yourself.

Two-point mountings will have the same issue as the backbone of the BarkBuster is the same shape - it's the length of the OEM levers that are the problem. Shorter or shortening your levers is the answer. Lancs' is suggesting the two-clamp/mount BarkBusters set-up as it is much stronger and less prone to moving if you do drop your bike.

Jx
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:04:29 PM by JMo »

Recent Topics