Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2019 LED turn signals on earlier bikes...  (Read 150 times)

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
2019 LED turn signals on earlier bikes...
« on: October 12, 2019, 10:35:25 PM »
2019 indicators (turn-signals) on earlier bikes

A pre-[r]ambling introduction... For a while now I've wanted to replace my big orange egg-shaped turn-signals on my 2014 model with something slimmer and sleeker looking... of course there is nothing wrong with the OEM indicators - indeed they are excellent at what they are designed to do, being very bright and also pretty robust [in the event of a drop], and other than the running light filament [in the US spec bikes] blowing on a couple of occasions, they have proved faultless through many tens of thousands of miles. Honda also use them on any number of their other models too, so their track record is proven.

However, ever since the new Africa Twin came out in 2016 with it's slim LED indicators (only in Europe the first year), I always felt the traditional filament bulb style lamps now look a bit bulky and dated? At the time I bought a set of the Africa Twin indicators, thinking they'd be essentially plug-and-play together with simply swapping the OEM flasher relay for an LED specific one (note. it's a four-pin relay on the CB, and a dedicated replacement designed to maintain the original flash rate with LEDs is cheaply and readily available on Ebay for example) - only to find those original first generation [ie. 2016] Africa Twin LED turn signals were actually 7.4v and also required a stupidly expensive step-down transformer relay to drive them... yes, I blew two of them before I realised*... at least I was able to return the other two.

*there is tiny printing on the lens of each lamp stating the voltage.

So I shelved that idea until more recently when Honda started fitting [very similar shaped] LED turn signals on their latest generation of bikes, and a quick noodle at the parts fiche revealed that these latest ones (which are also fitted to the 2019 CB500X of course) are traditional 12+ volt LEDs and don't require any special transformer/relay, just a regular LED relay designed to maintain the original flash rate with less load - which is something I now already had on my bike of course.

So enough of the waffle Jenny - what do you need to fit the 2019 style turn signals on an earlier generation CB500X?

First of all, the front and rear turn signals are different - the fronts include an extra wire (as did the US spec earlier style) for running lights, but otherwise physically they are the same shape - and here a size comparison with my existing lamps:

As you can see, they are not actually any shorter - which personally I think is a good thing, since the whole reason for sticking with OEM style turn-signals and not tiny little aftermarket variants, is so that I can actually be seen in the chaos that is California traffic...

However, I trust you agree the longer/thinner lens section immediately looks much more contemporary and gives the visual effect of them being much more compact?

So along with the FL, FR, RL and RR individual lamps (see parts list below), you'll also need the matching rubber mounting boots/grommets, plus the metal inserts for those - and four M5 bolts to sandwich them all together.

note. If you look on the 2019 parts fiche, you'll see the rear rubber mounts and metal inserts are both slightly longer, and a slightly different shape - this is because the rear turn signals mount to the same 'eye' shaped recess in the tail piece (which is carried over from the previous generation model), while at the front, the new fairing has recesses specifically to match the revised shape of the LED turn signals.

However, Honda being Honda, I was confident that the actual oval section of these rubbers that fits through the body panels would still be the same, and it is:

...which means I elected to buy two pairs of front rubbers and their corresponding inserts, as these are lower profile and also cheaper than using the dedicated rear mounts - and that other than a slight difference in the tear-drop shape of the outer flange (which really isn't noticeable unless you really know what you're looking for), they bolt right up and still look 'factory'*

*note. if you really are being precious, there is nothing to stop you ordering two pairs of the rear rubber mounts (and their metal inserts) instead, which have the exact 'eye' profile to match the earlier generation tail and headlight fairing recesses - but these are essentially twice the price of the new shape/front mounts.

Rear turn signal mounting

The rear pair of turn-signals have only two wires, and are plug-and-play into the existing connectors on the loom - you just unplug the old ones, and fit the new ones in their place.

note. The LED turn signals require a separate bolt to mount them (rather than having the threaded part on the lamp unit, and just a dome nut to secure as the earlier lamps do), and if like me you're using the front rubbers all round, you'll simply need four 20mm long M5 bolts to mount them - you can order the Honda ones of course, but I simply used some button-heads I already had in my metric stash at home.

Front turn signal mounting

At the front, things are slight different - you can still 'plug and play', but you need to do some plug swapping first...

As you can see, while the earlier generation lamps had a single block connector with three terminals, the 2019 LED version for the CB has the flasher as a pair, plus the third [running light] wire is on a separate plug... why? goodness only knows - particularly as the very similar looking turn signals on the CB300R (for example) seem to just use a single (three pin) plus as before.

However, it is actually easy enough to unclip the pins from the existing block connectors, and swap all three wires from the new lamps into the connector from the originals, so that they just plug straight back in to the loom as before.

note. You could be an animal and either cut off the original connector blocks and re-solder the joints, or even cut both ends off and use your own bullets or similar - but why would you when you can do a pukka job as long as you have a tiny flat-blade screwdriver (or similar poiky piece) to unclip the tangs and slide the pins out.

I would admit that while the two flasher pins are easy to unclip, the third (running light) pin can be an utter bastard to undo, as you can't see inside the tiny hole... I'm sure there is a proper tool to do this job, but as I say, with a little perseverance, it's possible with a small 'watchmakers' screwdriver for example.

One thing to note at the front, is that for some reason, the LED + and - wires are reversed in the 2019 block connector/loom, so when you reconnect them in the three pin block, make sure they match up with the actual loom on the bike, as LEDs don't work with reversed current.

So with that little job done, all you need to do is mount them to the front on the bike in a similar fashion - note. it is far easier to remove the whole fairing assembly and work with it on your lap upside down than to dray and fiddle around with the connectors and bolts from underneath!

cont.
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
Re: 2019 LED turn signals on earlier bikes...
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 10:38:52 PM »
cont.

photo. front LED turn signals include a running light circuit on US spec bikes.

photo. being OEM, they are just as bright as the filament style ones they replace.

photo. view from the cockpit - much more contemporary!

photo. and from the front, very tidy thank you!

photo. similarly at the rear - they also work really nicely with the R&G tail-tidy too.

photo. close-up of backside.

photo. close-up of front. you can see how the 2019 style rubbers are only a slightly different shape to the previous version, and as I mention above, if this bothers you at all, then you can always buy two pairs of the 2019 rear rubbers, which are slightly longer, but do have the exact profile to fit the 2013-18 model recesses.

So that is pretty much it!

List of parts required:

33450-MKP-A01 Turn Signal L. FR    (x1)

33400-MKP-A01 Turn Signal R. FR    (x1)

33650-MKP-A81 Turn SIgnal L. RR    (x1)

33600-MKP-A81 Turn Signal R. RR    (x1)

33452-KZZ-J00 Rubber L                 (x2)

33412-KZZ-J00 Rubber R                (x2)

33415-KZZ-J00 Collar, Turn Signal    (x4)

note. you do need to buy 2 x left and 2 x right rubbers, as they are shaped inside to mate up with the corresponding tabs in the lamp unit assembly. The metal inserts (collars) are all the same however.

As I mention above, the only other thing/s youll need is 4 x 20mm long M5 bolts - to mount each turn-signal in place; plus a replacement LED specific flasher relay for the CB500X (Ebay).

Hope that helps, or at least inspires!

Jenny x
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Online Mister Paul

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 07:47:40 AM »
Excellent. Thanks Jenny.

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 08:40:30 AM »
Really neat - slim indicators and a tail tidy improve the look of the X so much!!   :152:
The Story So Far.........
2017 and 2018: 8000miles recreational use - 89.82mpg UK; 74.79mpg US; 3.14litres/100km

Offline CB-500-X

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X
  • City / Town: South Florida
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 06:34:47 PM »
Thats a great write up and they do look great. Thank you for the instructions with pictures.
However on road , day to day I prefer my solution with switchback led bulbs and clear lenses , much much brighter and fronts also function as bright running lights.

See the write up below as an alternative:

https://www.cb500x.com/index.php/topic,3879.190.html

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 06:40:25 PM by CB-500-X »

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 09:08:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by CB-500-X [+]
Thats a great write up and they do look great. Thank you for the instructions with pictures.
However on road , day to day I prefer my solution with switchback led bulbs and clear lenses , much much brighter and fronts also function as bright running lights.

See the write up below as an alternative:

https://www.cb500x.com/index.php/topic,3879.190.html

That's a neat option too CB - I like that the LED bulb units change from white [running lights] to orange for flashers - although as you say, clear lenses are required (which look great too).

I had a similar set-up on my Ducati Monster a few years ago, using a combo LED insert that had brake/tail & turn signals all inside a clear rear lamp lens cover.

Jx
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:09:03 PM by JMo »

Offline CB-500-X

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X
  • City / Town: South Florida
« Reply #6 on: Today at 12:37:15 AM »
If you notice the turn signals when they are white are more noticeable than even the aux lights below. Thats because they are more dispersed and less directional than the aux lights.
One more side benefit is that you KNOW when the turn signals  are on !
A true cure for  dude on the motorcycle has had his turn signal on for 6 blocks syndrome.   :001:
« Last Edit: Today at 12:37:52 AM by CB-500-X »

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage