Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Do you ever wonder why you risk riding a motorcycle?  (Read 1494 times)

Offline timur

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Madrid
Re: Do you ever wonder why you risk riding a motorcycle?
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2019, 12:34:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by hilldweller [+]
I admit I sometimes enjoy youtube's crash videos, the Russian ones are hilarious and mostly not too damaging for the people but always "how on earth did you do that ?", lots of bald tyres, cold and Vodka involved.

But the bike ones really are an education, broadly split into two side, total death wish bikers and non bikers in a world of their own.

So many of the bike ones I can spot a mile off with "don't do that you plonker" and on the road I get glimpses in my mind "I saw that accident" and I of course hang back. I'm thinking of simple obvious incidents, bike approaching roundabout, clearly in his head "it's my right of way" and does not back off when there is a car coming in from the side where it is obvious there is a good chance it will not stop, then either a slow off or lots of swearing and anger.

So the bottom line is, biking is unforgiving but a whole lot of the accidents are avoidable with the right experience and defensive riding. This is one advantage of being an Olde Farte biker.
I'm native Russian (that lives in Spain now - no more snow and darkness  :080: ) and still can't understand how I survived my first years on bike in Russia. Some folks learned to ride without front brake (or both), without lights, without plates, with leaky forks and dampers, etc. And without license and helmet. The downside of this anarchy was a lot of fatalities of course - that was how I witnessed the agony of my friend being only 14 years old boy.

This experience changed a lot my vision of riding. That's why the use of helmet is something sacred for me now and I swear by my tires. Almost everytime I want to make something stupid I managed to stop on time. In fact when I crashed 2 years ago it was because I didn't payed attention to my instinct - it was something obvious.

The same thing happens when I see crash videos on YouTube - the biggest part of them are very obvious. They're almost as predictable as Chuck Norris movies.

Offline Swanny

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB1300
  • City / Town: Nr Bath
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2019, 06:29:06 PM »
Motorways are the worst. I came back from Germany in April this year on the channel tunnel, getting home from there meant I had to ride the M25. I will never do that ever again, in fact you couldn't pay me to do it. There was an average speed limit set at 50mph but foreign lorrys completely ignore that and it was pissing down with rain at the time. That was the worst riding experience of my life, I vowed never to do it again  :004:  (Almost as bad as that Sainsbury's pizza I just had)  :022:

I was driving back along the M5 one night at about 2am, it was completely deserted except for ages, then car comes down the slip road and straight into the middle lane  :110: if my car had been fitted with Star Trek phasers the car and all inside would have disappeared forever  :133:
Life... It's Just a Ride  :305:

Offline Swanny

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2019, 10:44:55 PM »

Online hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2019, 11:32:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by Swanny [+]

We really do need a like button.
Brian.

Offline CB-500-X

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X
  • City / Town: South Florida
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2019, 02:03:22 AM »

Yup !  :028:

Offline catstevecam

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: Northumberland
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2019, 11:21:19 AM »

:152:

Offline Swanny

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2019, 04:19:06 PM »
Yea come on admin sort out a "like" button  :115:

:440:

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage