Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Linear steering damper  (Read 580 times)

Offline timur

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Madrid
Linear steering damper
« on: November 30, 2019, 01:00:33 PM »
Hi guys! I wonder if somebody mounted linear damper on their CB500X. Seems difficult - there is no much room there. And Scotts damper is too expensive and need RRP triple to be installed.

Regards

Offline timur

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Linear steering damper
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 09:13:09 PM »
Well - after a bit of Internet research seems that Hyperpro has all the components for this mod. Frame fittings, fork clamps, etc. But - there is definitely no room due to the fairings. Some fairings surgery is necessary. So by now I won't follow with damper installing - seems too messy and ugly  :003:

Maybe will try to fabricate a mockup to see if there any possibility...

Offline Neox

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 cb500x
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 09:30:09 PM »
Really useful?
I rode the bike only 800 km, but i don't find it's unstable enough to mount a damper :086:.

Offline timur

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 08:56:19 AM »
The reason why I was interested on steering damper is mostly confort on large trips on poor backroads. On other hand - in fast sweepers with rough tarmac some funny movements appears at 140-150 km/h (I'm speaking about track, never public roads of course  :015: ). It's a sort of mild weave - nothing dangerous though.

Offline Oyabun

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 500XA, 16 FA
  • City / Town: Europe
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 06:16:42 PM »
I have a rotary steering damper mounted on my X, and live it. One cannot feel anything of it, but it definitely helps on rough pavement twisties carving and off road (esp on sand).
I have two versions of the ali copies of the original brand, and both work very well. Mounted the one on my bike on the RR top triple, but there are mounts for the oem steering also.

Offline timur

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 07:58:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by Oyabun [+]
I have a rotary steering damper mounted on my X, and live it. One cannot feel anything of it, but it definitely helps on rough pavement twisties carving and off road (esp on sand).
I have two versions of the ali copies of the original brand, and both work very well. Mounted the one on my bike on the RR top triple, but there are mounts for the oem steering also.
Thanks for the feedback! I saw Savage dampers but this long pin for lever attachment seemed too fragile and was bit doubtful with their quality. Will meditate about it - they are very small and neat in comparison with linear dampers. If they're cheap and works well might be the best choice. More than enough for weekend thrill and some trips.

Regards

Offline Neox

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 cb500x
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2019, 08:45:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by timur [+]
in fast sweepers with rough tarmac some funny movements appears at 140-150 km/h .
I never ride fast enough to see that :001:.

*Originally Posted by timur [+]
The reason why I was interested on steering damper is mostly confort on large trips on poor backroads.

Effectively, i wasn't thinking about off-road riding...

Offline Albee

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2018 CB500X
  • City / Town: High River
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2019, 01:50:11 AM »
re: Savage steering damper

I had a genuine Scotts damper on my previous bike for 10 years, but sold it with that bike.  I picked up the Savage damper this last summer for my CB500X, and so far so good.  I haven't taken it apart to inspect it, and no longer have the Scotts damper to do an A/B comparison, but the Savage damper appears to be well made.  The clickers may not have the same crispness as the Scotts clickers do, but I have not noticed any functional difference.  The slow speed damping works as it should.  I have not yet 'tested' the high speed damping (i.e. a big hit), but you will only know if that works in a real big hit scenario, as it can't be statically tested.  It's not something I would want to try just out of curiosity.

Offline timur

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2019, 06:56:20 AM »
*Originally Posted by Albee [+]
re: Savage steering damper

I had a genuine Scotts damper on my previous bike for 10 years, but sold it with that bike.  I picked up the Savage damper this last summer for my CB500X, and so far so good.  I haven't taken it apart to inspect it, and no longer have the Scotts damper to do an A/B comparison, but the Savage damper appears to be well made.  The clickers may not have the same crispness as the Scotts clickers do, but I have not noticed any functional difference.  The slow speed damping works as it should.  I have not yet 'tested' the high speed damping (i.e. a big hit), but you will only know if that works in a real big hit scenario, as it can't be statically tested.  It's not something I would want to try just out of curiosity.
Thank you Albee! Glad to know that it works OK. Probably one of my Christmas gifts will be Savage damper  :001:

Offline timur

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2019, 07:06:02 AM »
*Originally Posted by Neox [+]
Effectively, i wasn't thinking about off-road riding...
This is the type of roads I was speaking about (SG-145 near Grado del Pico - one of my favourite weekend routes). Sorry for poor image quality - it's from Google View:

There is a lot if this roads here so some steering damping helps a lot to reduce the effort.

Recent Topics