Author Topic: Just fitted a Powerbronze front fender extender and rear hugger MY19  (Read 2382 times)

Offline Kambo

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CB 500X
And I have to say I am impressed with both the quality and fitment, coverage is obviously good as longer drop

I've only had pyramid plastics stuff before on my other hondas or triumphs or yamahas so never looked at anything else but there is a new one in town now for me  :062:

Offline woody

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: CB500X
 :062: I agree with you, I have a powerbronze hugger and pyramid fender extender on MY18, powerbronze is good stuff :152:
Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 06:53:54 AM by woody

Offline adman

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: CB 500X PC64
Could you please show photos of it? I am also interested in these parts.
Thank you.
A straight line is only the shortest connection between two curves ...

Offline Flashp

• CB500X Member
*Originally Posted by Kambo [+]
And I have to say I am impressed with both the quality and fitment, coverage is obviously good as longer drop

I've only had pyramid plastics stuff before on my other hondas or triumphs or yamahas so never looked at anything else but there is a new one in town now for me  :062:
I'd like to see some photos if you could?
Thanks  :002:

Offline Flashp

• CB500X Member
I'm in the process of fitting these parts. I'm going to paint the bracket for the rear hugger, it's quite a lump of brightly plated metal to go around a black swing arm  :151: Not sure what an alternative would have looked like but this affair looks over the top. Not sure how obscured it'll be by the silencer given you have to take it off to fit this.

My own preference would have been not to have the silver mesh panel in the chain side. This is going to get removed and painted black and re-fitted. Ambersil Label and glue remover will be first choice  as I don't want to distort the mesh if I can help it.

I think the rear hugger is expensive for what it is when you have a close look at it and how 'neatly' it's been trimmed in places. I'm hoping it'll look better with a bit of paint and fettling.

I decided I'm going use 3M VHB tape for the fender extender, I really don't want holes in it.
I've not held this up to the bike, hoping it's not going to look like a comedy nose  :005: :008:
Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 10:13:48 PM by Flashp

Offline Falang

• CB500X Member
*Originally Posted by Flashp [+]
I decided I'm going use 3M VHB tape for the fender extender, I really don't want holes in it. I've not held this up to the bike, hoping it's not going to look like a comedy nose  :005: :008:

The VHB tape works well provided you hold it tight overnight while it cures; you won't need holes. I had a fender extender stuck on a BMW for 18 years and it never fell off. A good way to hold it tight while the tape cures is to use a squishy silicone ball. A “Wahu Super Grip Skimball" toy works perfectly. First stick the fender extender in place finger tight, then insert the ball between the front tire and the front fender at the front of the bike. Turn the front wheel backward until the ball sits between the tire and the upper part of the fender extender where the VHB tape is. Leave it overnight for the tape to cure. In the morning, turn the wheel the other way until the ball rolls back out. A few days later I used black RTV to fill in the small gap between the fender extender and the fender so there is zero free play at the edges—a belt and suspenders approach.

Now the radiator stays clean when riding in mud and it’s much easier to wash the front of the engine. Bike makers ought to make their fenders this long in the first place, like they used to in the 1970s, e.g. Honda CB350, BMW R75.

I got this one off eBay https://www.ebay.com.sg/usr/moto-roar?ul_noapp=true
Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 12:01:27 AM by Falang

Offline Flashp

• CB500X Member
Good tip on keeping pressure applied using a ball, I have just the thing for that and a good idea on filling in the gap for a neat finish :152:

Offline Flashp

• CB500X Member
Well I had an interesting afternoon.
The mud guard extender didn't fit properly, not even close to matching the profile of the part on the bike. Apparently they discovered the same today when a development bike arrived.

The hugger has an issue with the bracket that goes around the arm in that there's not really enough room with decent clearance for the brake line.
This metalwork is on the underside which is more or less where the bracket wants to go:

So, it's all going back for a refund. Neither of these parts are as well developed as they should be.
The metalwork for the hugger is hideous. It would be far better picking up on the two original fixings on the chain side and then bonding to the swing arm with VHB tape or similar. I'm going to wait for Honda to do release parts I think.

Offline Flashp

• CB500X Member
Bit of update available for this and some good news for me at least.
The Powerbronze parts weren't working for me, the hugger was too bulbous and the fixing metalwork that attached to the swingarm wasn't appealing to me at all.
And I mustn't forget to mention that they don't have a correctly fitting front mudguard extender in the product range, the 2019 bike version has yet to be designed.

I found parts from Pyramid Plastics from this retailer: https://www.motorcyclepartswarehouse.co.uk/pyramid-rear-hugger-extension-fitting-kit-honda-cb-500-x-2019.html
https://www.motorcyclepartswarehouse.co.uk/pyramid-front-fender-extender-extenda-fenda-honda-cb-500-x-2019.html

A little cheaper for both parts, they both fit well and they fit in well with the bikes original plastics in terms of finish and design.
The rear hugger is secured with a substantial cable tie which is both discreet and really is all that is necessary since the molded profile fits the swingarm well. It won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

The mudguard extended I chose to secure only with the supplied pads which are also of a very good quality although you get four plastic rivets as well. I took the mudguard off to do this and in the process I discovered that the brace that it fixes to had picked up a lot of stone chipping in only a few hundred miles so I cleaned it up and gave it a couple of coats of gravel guard since it's steel and it may help prevent some rusting down the line. I also sealed up the joint from the inside to prevent long term ingress of water and dirt having any effect on the bonding tape.

Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 11:54:04 PM by Flashp

Offline Steve T

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: CB5X,F8GS,600Alp
 Just fitted both of those items to my new CB5X (the Pyramid plastics, not the Powerbronze stuff).

Unlike yourself I'm not impressed with the retention system for the rear hugger - one large tiewrap just goesn't seem enough to me as it leaves a little movement of the hugger when fitted to the bike. I adapted mine by fitting a drop down section of hard plastic sheet, to prevent road dirt from the rear wheel hitting the suspension linkage. It works a treat, as does the hugger itself in keeping most of the road dirt off of the upper section of the rear shock.

The front I secured with 3 M5 stainless steel bolts - my faith in 4 small plastic rivets and a load of sticky pads would have been very small  :033:. When fitting I used lashing of silicone to help keep it all together and fill any gaps to help prevent the ingress of dirt.

Tried the bike out yesterday with both fitted and whilst the rear appeared to do its job, the front still allows loads of road dirt up onto the front of the engine.
I'm going to knock up a DIY sump guard that will hopefully cover the front of the engine, not just from road dirt but also from the larger lumps of stone that one might encounter when riding the dirt  :001:

A seperate thread with photo's will follow in due course  :152:

Steve T

:018:
Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 12:05:28 PM by Steve T
British Born
Rasied in Wales
Living in Scotland
Still British 1st though