Author Topic: Just fitted a Powerbronze front fender extender and rear hugger MY19  (Read 2521 times)

Offline VA-CB500X

• CB500X Pro
Thanks for the feedback and photos of these parts.

Looking at the rear hugger, there doesnít seem to be much clearance to allow for the accumulation of mud.  Is that an issue?

Also, in the photos of the rear hugger, just forward and above it can be seen a plastic cover for the rear suspension.  Was that cover already there, or is it an aftermarket component?

Offline Flashp

• CB500X Pro
*Originally Posted by Steve T [+]
Just fitted both of those items to my new CB5X (the Pyramid plastics, not the Powerbronze stuff).

Unlike yourself I'm not impressed with the retention system for the rear hugger - one large tiewrap just goesn't seem enough to me as it leaves a little movement of the hugger when fitted to the bike. I adapted mine by fitting a drop down section of hard plastic sheet, to prevent road dirt from the rear wheel hitting the suspension linkage. It works a treat, as does the hugger itself in keeping most of the road dirt off of the upper section of the rear shock.

The front I secured with 3 M5 stainless steel bolts - my faith in 4 small plastic rivets and a load of sticky pads would have been very small  :033:. When fitting I used lashing of silicone to help keep it all together and fill any gaps to help prevent the ingress of dirt.

Tried the bike out yesterday with both fitted and whilst the rear appeared to do its job, the front still allows loads of road dirt up onto the front of the engine.
I'm going to knock up a DIY sump guard that will hopefully cover the front of the engine, not just from road dirt but also from the larger lumps of stone that one might encounter when riding the dirt  :001:

A seperate thread with photo's will follow in due course  :152:

Steve T

:018:
Regarding the rear hugger, I removed the square rubber pads on the section where the cable tie goes which improved the stability and closed up the clearance between it and the wheel which I wanted to do. The hugger flexes, it will because it's plastic, but the secured part isn't going anywhere.

Offline Flashp

• CB500X Pro
*Originally Posted by VA-CB500X [+]
Thanks for the feedback and photos of these parts.

Looking at the rear hugger, there doesnít seem to be much clearance to allow for the accumulation of mud.  Is that an issue?

Also, in the photos of the rear hugger, just forward and above it can be seen a plastic cover for the rear suspension.  Was that cover already there, or is it an aftermarket component?
The cover was already there.
My bike is predominantly for road use, if I knew it were going to get heavily caked in mud I'd probably cut the tie and tae it off. To refit is only pence on a new tie and 2 minutes work. This said, it's unlikely to see mud to any real degree.
Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 02:28:42 PM by Flashp

Offline Flashp

• CB500X Pro
Probably worth pointing out that if two rubber sticky feet are removed from the area where the cable tie secures it there is no looseness or rattling present and it allows the rubber non slip pads full contact with the swingarm, it also allows a slightly better better profile around the tire.

As to security of using a cable tie - if you've ever tried to break a fastened one with your hands you'll know how tough these can be, especially when the part secured weighs well under 100g and the tie is 5mm wide.

Offline Steve T

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: CB5X,F8GS,600Alp
*Originally Posted by VA-CB500X [+]
The cover of which you speak is for the ABS pump, as I found out when I took the cover off as I was thinking of attaching the extra flap onto the front of that instead of onto the hugger.

Steve T

:018:
British Born
Rasied in Wales
Living in Scotland
Still British 1st though

Offline VA-CB500X

• CB500X Pro
Thanks for the clarification about that cover.  Much appreciated.  If itís for the ABS then that explains why some have them and others (non-ABS here in USA) donít.

victorious-backstage