Author Topic: Any tours planned?  (Read 3578 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline gromflake

  • CB500X Member
  • **
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 53
  • Country: gb
Any tours planned?
on: January 07, 2020, 08:39:55 PM
What have you got planned for when the weather gets a little nicer?

I've got a ferry booked to Zeebrugge in June, with another one back from Rotterdam six days later.  I'm a Europe motorbike virgin.  Any suggestions for what's realistic and where to go? I'm wondering if heading as far as the Alps would be a bit too much of a slog?

Offline hilldweller

  • CB500X God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1859
  • Bike: CB500X
  • Country: gb
Re: Any tours planned?
Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 09:06:46 PM
*Originally Posted by gromflake [+]
What have you got planned for when the weather gets a little nicer?

I've got a ferry booked to Zeebrugge in June, with another one back from Rotterdam six days later.  I'm a Europe motorbike virgin.  Any suggestions for what's realistic and where to go? I'm wondering if heading as far as the Alps would be a bit too much of a slog?

It sort of depends on speed/hours. Some people go for miles, some to enjoy the scenery.

My advice, for what it is worth, is enjoy Germany. The roads along the Moselle and Rhine are stunning. This includes the Nurburgring, the WW2 Bridge at Remagen. Food is brilliant and they know how to brew beer.

I've stayed here to explore the area, very biker friendly good English, this is a day's ride from the channel:

https://www.hotel-forsthaus.com/

I'm lining up Italy in May but taking more like two weeks.


PS....   Biking in Europe is great, you generally get more respect from other road users.

Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 09:54:39 PM by hilldweller
Brian.

Online Swanny

  • CB500X Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 780
  • Bike: 20 500X & CB1300
  • Country: england
Re: Any tours planned?
Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 09:17:46 PM
I did two tours last year. France, Germany and Austria in April then France, Spain and Portugal in September

I was alone on the first one and with a friend on the second

My advice is make sure you have gloves suitable for all weathers  :001:
I used Air B&B and booking.com for accommodation. Don't take too much stuff, you really don't need alot. You could make it to the Alps and back in 6 days but you'll be pushing it, better to take you time. First trip I was doing 400+ miles a day which was hard work, it's ok you do get into a sort of zone but it's not so much fun. Second trip was much more relaxed and only about 200 miles a day.
I recommend getting routes from Ride magazine and following them, they've really done their work and the routes are fantastic
https://www.ride.co.uk/routes

I'm going back to Spain again this year   :046:

Life... It's Just a Ride  :305:

Online Neox

  • CB500X Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 175
  • Bike: 2016 cb500x
  • Country: fr
Re: Any tours planned?
Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 09:26:50 PM
I don't really know...
Probably Czech republik and Slovakia.
Or Germany. Two months ago it was Germany.
Perhaps Italy, the map is new :001:, i had lost my way when i came back from Slovenia and buyed one.
Danemark, Belgium, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Austria, Slovénia, Spain and Portugal were visited.

But before i have to sell my old CB500S... travel need money...

Online adman

  • CB500X Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 200
  • Bike: CB 500X PC64
  • Country: de
Re: Any tours planned?
Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 10:01:10 PM
If you only have 6 days, I would advise you against the Alps, the journey there takes too long and is too stressful. For the Alps you need at least 10-14 days to enjoy some routes there.
The Ardennes in Belgium, Luxenburg, the Eifel, Bergisches Land or Sauerland in Germany would offer themselves for just 6 days, countless beautiful winding routes, uphill and downhill.
Or you can do sightseeing on the Rhine and Moselle with many castles and palaces as hilldweller said. The Rhine Valley between Cologne and Worms is one of the most beautiful and romantic in the world.
A straight line is only the shortest connection between two curves ...

Online adman

  • CB500X Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 200
  • Bike: CB 500X PC64
  • Country: de
Re: Any tours planned?
Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 10:07:12 PM
*Originally Posted by hilldweller
My advice, for what it is worth, is enjoy Germany. The roads along the Moselle and Rhine are stunning. This includes the Nurburgring, the WW2 Bridge at Remagen. Food is brilliant and they know how to brew beer.

OOOOOh yeah... :821:  :005:  :087:
A straight line is only the shortest connection between two curves ...

Online adman

  • CB500X Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 200
  • Bike: CB 500X PC64
  • Country: de
A straight line is only the shortest connection between two curves ...

Online Neox

  • CB500X Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 175
  • Bike: 2016 cb500x
  • Country: fr
Re: Any tours planned?
Reply #7 on: January 07, 2020, 11:05:50 PM
For each trip i take 4 weeks, more comfortable.

In Luxembourg the "little swiss" is a very nice place. Beautiful hiking trails.

Offline catstevecam

  • CB500X Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 713
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • Country: gb
Re: Any tours planned?
Reply #8 on: January 08, 2020, 09:55:52 AM
*Originally Posted by adman [+]
If you only have 6 days, I would advise you against the Alps, the journey there takes too long and is too stressful. For the Alps you need at least 10-14 days to enjoy some routes there.
The Ardennes in Belgium, Luxenburg, the Eifel, Bergisches Land or Sauerland in Germany would offer themselves for just 6 days, countless beautiful winding routes, uphill and downhill.
Or you can do sightseeing on the Rhine and Moselle with many castles and palaces as hilldweller said. The Rhine Valley between Cologne and Worms is one of the most beautiful and romantic in the world.

+1 - give the Alps a miss - there's so much to see and enjoy as Hilldweller and adman suggest - enjoy the journey  :152:

Offline ncroadtoad

  • CB500X Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 340
  • Bike: 2013 CB500X
  • Country: us
Re: Any tours planned?
Reply #9 on: January 08, 2020, 12:58:12 PM
From this side.., I'm planning on riding across Labrador, ferry to Newfoundland and then back to NC. I'll probably set aside 3 weeks for the trip.  I last rode the Trans-Lab Highway about 6 years ago, it's changed a lot since then - but still lovely country and friendly people.
Just damn happy to be here...