Author Topic: Any tours planned?  (Read 3579 times)

Online Neox

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2016 cb500x
Re: Any tours planned?
Reply #10 on: January 08, 2020, 10:47:52 PM
*Originally Posted by gromflake [+]
  Any suggestions for what's realistic and where to go?
What do you want, you?
Visiting or just riding on nice curvy roads?
Museum? History? Landscape? Eating/drinking?

Offline bitdist

• CB500X Member
Reply #11 on: January 09, 2020, 12:57:29 AM
I going to India in the middle of the year and doing 2 weeks in the region of the Spiti Valley, Pin Valley National Park, Kunzum Pass, Rohtang Pass and Kullu Valley.
Looking forward to that one

Offline Growbag

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: 2019 cb500x
Reply #12 on: January 09, 2020, 03:09:18 AM

One of the best motorcycle trips you can do. Rough roads but breathtaking scenery. Pity the Cb500x is not available in India. I managed to find a KTM for my Himalayan trip; much easier to manhandle than the fully loaded Enfield I had on an earlier ride.
Good luck Bitdist and stay safe.

Offline richardbd

• CB500X Pro
Reply #13 on: January 09, 2020, 06:15:00 PM
*Originally Posted by ncroadtoad [+]
From this side.., I'm planning on riding across Labrador, ferry to Newfoundland and then back to NC. I'll probably set aside 3 weeks for the trip.  I last rode the Trans-Lab Highway about 6 years ago, it's changed a lot since then - but still lovely country and friendly people.

that sounds like a lot of fun...

:305: :305: :305:

Offline ewryly

• CB500X God
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
Reply #14 on: January 10, 2020, 02:03:05 AM
From this side.., I'm planning on riding across Labrador, ferry to Newfoundland and then back to NC. I'll probably set aside 3 weeks for the trip.  I last rode the Trans-Lab Highway about 6 years ago, it's changed a lot since then - but still lovely country and friendly people.

Will it be a round trip? Will you ride up to Labrador?

Offline ncroadtoad

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2013 CB500X
Reply #15 on: January 10, 2020, 12:20:33 PM
*Originally Posted by ewryly [+]
Will it be a round trip? Will you ride up to Labrador?
Hi ewryly, yes it will be a round trip. I'll ride secondary roads up through western NY into Quebec and straight north to Labrador City. Across Labrador, ferry to Newfoundland, ride around a bit, ferry to Nova Scotia and home swinging well west of the East Coast insanity.

I'm still working the details, timing, that sort of thing. But since time away isn't really a factor, I'm not real concerned about that. The other big thing I'm considering is not making any reservations this time around. That will be a first for me as I usually have everything done before I roll out.

Labrador has the distinction of "wrench throwing" into your travel plans. The only road across the province washed out once last year, and you basically had to turn around and go home, the ferry across the the Strait of Belle Isle is frequently cancelled due to high winds and there are a lot of travel days involved before you even reach Strait. All of this can combine to really complicate reservation planning/cancellation/changes - especially when there is no/poor cell service in much of Labrador and Newfoundland.

So, a little out of my comfort zone, I am planning on riding on the fly with no reservations. I'll maybe take a tent in case I can't find a room, but motels are my plan. Early and late summer are the best times of the year for bugs and tourists (what few there are), but unfortunately I have conflicts in both windows. So still working the timing.
Just damn happy to be here...

Offline hilldweller

• CB500X God
  • Bike: CB500X
Reply #16 on: January 10, 2020, 12:48:22 PM
So, a little out of my comfort zone,

A very quick Google measure showed about 3000 miles. "itchy boots" (  ) manages without a tent across most of the world, though she seems to rely on cell phone and booking.com a lot.

Good luck. When "out of comfort zone works" you can shout it from the hilltops, if it fails you can at least say "I tried and anyway the nurses in here are very pretty."
Brian.

Offline ewryly

• CB500X God
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
Reply #17 on: January 10, 2020, 01:05:16 PM
Hi ewryly, yes it will be a round trip. I'll ride secondary roads up through western NY into Quebec and straight north to Labrador City. Across Labrador, ferry to Newfoundland, ride around a bit, ferry to Nova Scotia and home swinging well west of the East Coast insanity.

I'm still working the details, timing, that sort of thing. But since time away isn't really a factor, I'm not real concerned about that. The other big thing I'm considering is not making any reservations this time around. That will be a first for me as I usually have everything done before I roll out.

Labrador has the distinction of "wrench throwing" into your travel plans. The only road across the province washed out once last year, and you basically had to turn around and go home, the ferry across the the Strait of Belle Isle is frequently cancelled due to high winds and there are a lot of travel days involved before you even reach Strait. All of this can combine to really complicate reservation planning/cancellation/changes - especially when there is no/poor cell service in much of Labrador and Newfoundland.

So, a little out of my comfort zone, I am planning on riding on the fly with no reservations. I'll maybe take a tent in case I can't find a room, but motels are my plan. Early and late summer are the best times of the year for bugs and tourists (what few there are), but unfortunately I have conflicts in both windows. So still working the timing.

That sounds like a great trip through some beautiful areas.  I don't make reservations when I motorcycle.  It can be a bit stressful at times, but it also allows me to shorten days when the weather is bad or I have some mechanical or other issues.  I typically start the day with a goal and but don't finalize it until afternoon.  When I bicycle toured, including across country, I did the same thing, but then I did all most only camping and that did add flexibility to when and where I stopped.  These days I find beds :).

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
Reply #18 on: January 10, 2020, 06:38:50 PM
Blimey - I'm just trying to squeeze in a few days on the North Coast 500 here in Scotland!!   :008:
The Story So Far.........
2017-2019: 12000mls recreational use - 89.73mpg UK; 74.72mpg US; 3.15litres/100km

Offline ncroadtoad

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2013 CB500X
Reply #19 on: January 10, 2020, 09:15:26 PM
*Originally Posted by hilldweller [+]
A very quick Google measure showed about 3000 miles. "itchy boots" manages without a tent across most of the world, though she seems to rely on cell phone and booking.com a lot.

Good luck. When "out of comfort zone works" you can shout it from the hilltops, if it fails you can at least say "I tried and anyway the nurses in here are very pretty."

Thank you, hopefully it all works out. Mileage will be 5,200+, depending on how much rambling I do in Newfoundland. I'll probably plan for 21 +/- days. Still working it.

itchy has a few things going for her I don't - and I didn't even include no cell service  :001:  I applaud her though..

I am considering no tent though (keeping it light) and just risking it. I've slept in my riding gear before, can't say I enjoyed it, but hopefully it won't come to that.
Just damn happy to be here...