Author Topic: Greetings from Virginia, USA  (Read 689 times)

Offline foamy

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: 2017 CB500x
Re: Greetings from Virginia, USA
Reply #10 on: January 15, 2020, 02:04:06 PM
Welcome VA. I'm in the neighborhood, somewhat. Work in DC, live across the Bay on the Eastern shore of MD.

A bit new at this myself, particularly for as old as I am. The X is a lot of fun, I lucked into it with the help of a knowledgable friend. Even my riding test instructor told me I had chosen a good bike to get going on. That and it seems like the X has a fair amount components and accessories to make it your own and spec it out for your particular usage (Read: Spend money on).
Greetings from the land of Pleasant Living!

Offline VA-CB500X

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #11 on: January 15, 2020, 03:15:43 PM
*Originally Posted by foamy [+]
Welcome VA. I'm in the neighborhood, somewhat. Work in DC, live across the Bay on the Eastern shore of MD.

A bit new at this myself, particularly for as old as I am. The X is a lot of fun, I lucked into it with the help of a knowledgable friend. Even my riding test instructor told me I had chosen a good bike to get going on. That and it seems like the X has a fair amount components and accessories to make it your own and spec it out for your particular usage (Read: Spend money on).

Thanks!  This feedback is encouraging.  I am also a “later in life” adapter, so sounds like we are in similar trajectories.

Wow that must be quite a commute.  Do you do it on the moto, and roughly how long does it take?  We have considered moving over to that side but the commute to DC worries us.

Offline foamy

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: 2017 CB500x
Reply #12 on: January 15, 2020, 04:20:11 PM
*Originally Posted by VA-CB500X [+]
Thanks!  This feedback is encouraging.  I am also a “later in life” adapter, so sounds like we are in similar trajectories.

Wow that must be quite a commute.  Do you do it on the moto, and roughly how long does it take?  We have considered moving over to that side but the commute to DC worries us.

I catch a Maryland Commuter bus from Stevensville (right at the eastern foot of the Bay Bridge). That's the only thing that makes it doable for me. Takes about an hour and a half to 3/4 depending on traffic. Plus whatever miles you ride to get to Stevensville/Kent Island. It's going to be unbearable for the next couple of years when Spring, Summer and Fall get here (OC traffic). They're repaving the 3 lane one a lane at a time. I may have to "retire" this Spring if they won't let me telecommute. I've been doing it for 16 years, which amoung my fellow commuters, is something of a record. I've about had it. Too old for this (commute).
Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 04:21:52 PM by foamy
Greetings from the land of Pleasant Living!

Offline PIGLET

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: CB500X 2019
Reply #13 on: January 15, 2020, 04:24:26 PM
 :400:

Offline VA-CB500X

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #14 on: January 16, 2020, 11:38:11 AM
*Originally Posted by foamy [+]
I catch a Maryland Commuter bus from Stevensville (right at the eastern foot of the Bay Bridge). That's the only thing that makes it doable for me. Takes about an hour and a half to 3/4 depending on traffic. Plus whatever miles you ride to get to Stevensville/Kent Island. It's going to be unbearable for the next couple of years when Spring, Summer and Fall get here (OC traffic). They're repaving the 3 lane one a lane at a time. I may have to "retire" this Spring if they won't let me telecommute. I've been doing it for 16 years, which amoung my fellow commuters, is something of a record. I've about had it. Too old for this (commute).

Gotcha on the commute.  That wouldn't work for us, unfortunately.  Maybe when we retire?  We do love the eastern shore.

Good luck with the bridge construction, and hopefully they will let you telecommute!