Author Topic: Heated Grips and Throttle Lock - Step by Step  (Read 1771 times)

Offline Twempie

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
Heated Grips and Throttle Lock - Step by Step
on: January 20, 2020, 11:42:54 PM
Seeing I haven't been able to find any specific installation threads for my 2018 CB500X, I thought this may help others out.

Grips Installation notes:
I followed the manufacturer's instructions and used the supplied superglue. I used a pencil mark on each instrument cluster as a guide when I slid the grips on to the bars. I cleaned the handlebar and throttle tube with rubbing alcohol before applying glue.

The left grip was a tight fit, so I slid the grip on half-way and only applied glue to the inner half of the handlebar.

The right grip slid easily on to the throttle tube so, again, I followed the manufacturers instructions and applied glue to the full length of the throttle tube.

Grip size comparision. OEM on left, Oxford Heaterz Premium Touring Heated Grips on right.

Old grip measurement

Right Grip. Screwdriver and squirting WD40 between the grip and throttle tube using the skinny red straw that comes stuck to the WD40 can. Gently remove the grip, and avoid damage to the throttle tube.

Inner flange holds on OEM grips.

Grip removed. Bumps and both inner and outer flanges need to be removed. I used a Dremel Tool, rasp and foam-backed coarse sandpaper. Don't get carried away when sanding. The powdered plastic gets everywhere. Wear a mask and I used plumbers tape in various configurations to stop the plastic going in between the throttle tube and the handlebars. This is how I masked for removing the inner flange.

I was a little ham-fisted when removing the inner flange. I used a cutting tool on the dremel and thought I had cut enough to pull away the plastic. As you can see, I also pulled away some of the throttle tube.

Left grip is easier, just cut it off and remove any glue residue with alcohol.

Left grip installed. Make sure the clutch lever does not hit the cable attachment on the grip. The seam on the grip lined up with my pencil mark. You can see that below.

Right grip installed. I left a gap to accommodate the Atlas Throttle Lock. In retrospect, I was a little over cautious when making sure the bottom wire of the grip was rotated far enough way from the brake lever, it sticks back a little further than perfect, but nothing I can worry about now.

The "smart" controller comes with a mounting plate and spacers that fit nicely on to the mirror handlebar clamp.

The manufacturer also recommends heat-shrinking the connectors. Three connectors, only one way to hook them together, and neatly tied under the front of the bike.

The Atlas Throttle Lock. A Kickstarter endeavour by RTW travellers David and Heidi Winters. A well thought out device that comes in a "top kit" and "bottom kit". I installed the top kit to accommodate the heated grips. I have to say the customer service from Josh Hopkins, Atlas' Rider Support Manager was outstanding.
https://www.atlasthrottlelock.com

The lock works by friction, and fitting the friction pads involves a little trial and error. Various sized pads come with the kit. I found sticking the two thinnest pads together was a good starting point. I'll see how the lock works with that setup, and if I need to modify with thicker pads in the future. The installation also involves a small allen headed screw that comes pre-threadlocked (the kit comes with a spare, should you need to adjust your setup). The installation is easy if you follow the instructions, but be careful not to strip the screw head, it's small - an M3. If you take your time, you should have no problem.

This is my first trial of where the Atlas will be positioned. I opened the throttle 3/4 of the way and roughly guessed where it would be most comfortable to engage and disengage the lock.

There is a gap between the instrument cluster and the Atlas, so the throttle has no chance of sticking.

Atlas Throttle Lock, front view.

Atlas Throttle Lock, showing friction pad.

Oxford heated grip, Atlas throttle lock and Barkbuster Storm handguards.

Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 11:57:37 PM by Twempie

Offline PhilJS

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: Honda CB500X
Re: Heated Grips and Throttle Lock - Step by Step
Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 12:50:16 AM
Hello,
Interesting post, though I already have the Oxford heated gips on my honda. The Throttle Lock is something I have been looking for, for a long time for my Harley so I'll be following that up sometime soon.
Phil
Current Bikes: Honda CB500X 2017 and Harley Davidson Dyna Fat Bob FXDF 2014

Honda extras: MRA Vario Screen, Fenda Extenda, Puig Hugger, Evotech Radiator Guard, Oxford Heated Grips, Barkbuster Storm handguards, Main Stand, R&G Exhaust hanger and blanking plate, Shad Rack and SH39 top case and Pipe Werx Carbon Edge, Oval, Titanium

Offline Xventure

• CB500X Member
Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 01:01:52 AM
Thank you for the guide. I'm still on the fence as I wear leather gloves with a wool liner under and have been ok for quick rides to work, approx 30min one way, as low as -10c. Trying to justify the cost and the work 😂

Online Jamie Z

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2019 ABS
Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 03:15:50 AM
Thanks for this! I'm planning on this exact setup! I have the Oxford grips and Barkbusters waiting in the garage.

The Atlas looks like some good kit, but expensive!

Jamie

Offline Twempie

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 06:57:26 AM

Youíre welcome. Yes, the Atlas isnít cheap, but I saw it at Touratechís open house around about Christmas-time, so I treated myself and supported a local business at the same time. I think Atlas are just up the road from Seattle and the inventors are pukka ADV/RTW types. I was in the market for a throttle lock - those Great Plains days can be long and cross-windy - and my throttle wrist isnít in its twenties any more, so I invested in something I hope will last  :)

Best wishes with the installation.

*Originally Posted by Jamie Z [+]
Thanks for this! I'm planning on this exact setup! I have the Oxford grips and Barkbusters waiting in the garage.

The Atlas looks like some good kit, but expensive!

Jamie

Offline Superplasma

• CB500X Pro
Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 09:05:41 AM
Very nice post 10/10.

Superplasma.

Offline barko1

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: 2020 500x
Reply #6 on: July 12, 2020, 01:36:36 AM
Any updates on how the Atlas is working?

Online Jamie Z

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2019 ABS
Reply #7 on: July 12, 2020, 03:15:10 AM
*Originally Posted by barko1 [+]
Any updates on how the Atlas is working?
I'm having trouble with my Atlas.  :003:

I couldn't find a friction pad which seemed to be the right thickness. What I ended up using was the medium thickness pad stacked on top of the thin pad. It's the best I could come up with. Even then, it doesn't hold the throttle very well. If I try to use a thicker pad or combination of pads, then it's too thick to fit between the throttle and the housing.

Others seem to really like this throttle lock, but I haven't been satisfied unfortunately. I contacted the manufacturer, and they offered to send me some replacement friction pads so I can try again...

Offline Twempie

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #8 on: July 12, 2020, 05:55:38 AM
I used just one of the thinnest pads on the top kit, and it holds the throttle open. But there isnít much of a surface for the pad to contact. It does work, but itís not a slam dunk installation.

Offline Twoshedspete

• CB500X Newbie
  • Bike: 2013 CB500XA
Reply #9 on: August 05, 2020, 08:21:31 AM
Useful and well-illustrated post. Much appreciated and now I know which grips to buy.  :763: