Author Topic: Horn Relocation 2019 CBX  (Read 1294 times)

Offline bobwombat

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X ABS
Horn Relocation 2019 CBX
on: February 04, 2020, 05:57:39 AM
After noticing a couple references about horn relocation, I gave it a "proof of concept" try using the blank frame hole under the left shroud.

Used an approximate 13mm (1/2") bushing & washers to space the horn out from the frame a bit & ensured NO clearance issues with the left fork.  Horn faces to the side but it's pretty loud so I don't see this as a problem.  Nearby wire bundles were reinforced with additional sheathing.  Horn electrical connectors were re-routed to the front; easy with the left shroud removed.  Can be returned to OEM configuration in minutes.

Too much time on my hands?

Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 05:58:52 AM by bobwombat
Bob from Arizona

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God-zilla
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
Re: Horn Relocation 2019 CBX
Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 06:27:29 AM
*Originally Posted by bobwombat [+]
......... Too much time on my hands?

Aye!!  :008:
The Story So Far.........
2017-2019: 12000 miles recreational use - 89.73mpg UK; 74.72mpg US; 3.15litres/100km

Offline motorboy

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 06:32:26 PM
When I had a 2016 650 Versys moving the horn was one of the first things done-I looked at my 500X a few times did not see what you did - well done- will look into it because the horn is ugly where it is
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline johnthebigadv

• CB500X Pro
Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 08:01:16 PM
As I will be taking off my side panel I will try to re- locate the horn as you have shown. So have I got this right you can relocate the horn to the new position using the existing bracket and wiring, just need a 13mm spacer.
Do you need to disconnect the wire from the horn at any time also do you need a longer bolt? 
CB500X the little motorcycle with a big heart.

Offline bobwombat

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X ABS
Reply #4 on: February 05, 2020, 11:08:59 PM
*Originally Posted by johnthebigadv [+]
As I will be taking off my side panel I will try to re- locate the horn as you have shown. So have I got this right you can relocate the horn to the new position using the existing bracket and wiring, just need a 13mm spacer.
Do you need to disconnect the wire from the horn at any time also do you need a longer bolt?

Hey, John.  Yes, you can use the OEM horn mounting "arm" but will need to supply the longer bolt & the bushing. I bought a couple sizes of each hoping one would likely work on the first pass; the 13mm worked.  For the bushing, you don't want it so long you have left fork clearance problems.  Btw, I  used a hex flange bolt & lock washer on the rear with nut but will replace the nut with a nylon lock-nut & Blue LocTite sometime soon.

Please know if you use the mounting hole in my post pic, getting behind to place the nut is a challenge; stick with it or find some skinny fingers around the house.

As for the wiring, yes, you must disconnect & you'll see why.  Mark one of the terminal sets if, like me, your attention span or memory is short.  After you disconnect, you can "feed" that small horn wire bundle thru to the front (you'll figure best routing) to reconnect.

Finally, check fork clearance lock-to-lock & also ensure the 2 small wire bundles above this mounting point aren't coming into contact with the rear mounting nut.  I bundled the bundle for safety & will check periodically when I have the shrouds off.

Sorry if this explanation was overkill but, if you want to tidy up the front like some others have mentioned, you'll be pleased.  For my part, I'm more likely to tear the horn off from it's OEM location.

Shoot me a PM & let me know how you do?  Cheers, Bob
Bob from Arizona

Offline CB-500-X

• CB500X God-zilla
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X
Reply #5 on: February 06, 2020, 12:15:10 AM
I have a 2 piece air horn out of sight under the left and right shrouds. Perfect location for the compressor and the horn itself. Loud as hell, moves cars out of the way!

Offline denislordm

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: CB500x
Reply #6 on: February 06, 2020, 09:26:34 AM
Denali sound bomb is great - I have one too
In case no-one knows there is a specific mount bracket for the 500x made by Denali
So much easier than inventing a mount for oneself.  check it out.
Fits on engine casing bolts L/H side see images
Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 09:27:19 AM by denislordm

Offline johnthebigadv

• CB500X Pro
Reply #7 on: February 06, 2020, 09:52:31 AM
*Originally Posted by bobwombat [+]
Hey, John.  Yes, you can use the OEM horn mounting "arm" but will need to supply the longer bolt & the bushing. I bought a couple sizes of each hoping one would likely work on the first pass; the 13mm worked.  For the bushing, you don't want it so long you have left fork clearance problems.  Btw, I  used a hex flange bolt & lock washer on the rear with nut but will replace the nut with a nylon lock-nut & Blue LocTite sometime soon.

Please know if you use the mounting hole in my post pic, getting behind to place the nut is a challenge; stick with it or find some skinny fingers around the house.

As for the wiring, yes, you must disconnect & you'll see why.  Mark one of the terminal sets if, like me, your attention span or memory is short.  After you disconnect, you can "feed" that small horn wire bundle thru to the front (you'll figure best routing) to reconnect.

Finally, check fork clearance lock-to-lock & also ensure the 2 small wire bundles above this mounting point aren't coming into contact with the rear mounting nut.  I bundled the bundle for safety & will check periodically when I have the shrouds off.

Sorry if this explanation was overkill but, if you want to tidy up the front like some others have mentioned, you'll be pleased.  For my part, I'm more likely to tear the horn off from it's OEM location.

Shoot me a PM & let me know how you do?  Cheers, Bob

Hi Bob,
Thank's for the info. that sound's like a good plan as how to go about the relocation.
Cheers John.
CB500X the little motorcycle with a big heart.

Offline adman

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: CB 500X PC64
Reply #8 on: February 09, 2020, 09:41:16 PM
I would like to install an Italian 2-tone horn. (Italians build the best horns)  :005: I have a question: is the standard horn of the CBX 2019 already controlled by a relay that I can use for it? Unfortunately I have no circuit diagram here. Can anyone help me further?
Thank you.
A straight line is only the shortest connection between two curves ...

Offline motorboy

• CB500X God
Reply #9 on: February 09, 2020, 10:23:50 PM
Hey bobwombat after we had our talk I went outside and took a look with in five mins I found many more places to hide the horn under the front-looks like rain most of the week for us down South so a good time to put a think on it
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike