Author Topic: FRENCH BIKE LAWS  (Read 1708 times)

Offline cbf1000

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
FRENCH BIKE LAWS
on: February 25, 2020, 11:16:32 AM
On my last European tour on the 500X I put reflective stickers on my helmet to comply with the French law as no helmet maker produced a helmet which conformed to the French laws requirement.  When I came to remove them it resulted in chunks of the top layer of the helmet ripping off which ruined my favourite Nolan.
Can anybody say how they deal with all of these Frenchist money making law scams?  Is the helmet law enforced, is it just for foreigners or just for the French, how do you conform, do you bother conforming?
Same questions for the French law regarding bikers to wear CE approved armoured gloves at all times.
Same questions for the French law regarding having to carry spare bulb set, breathalysers etc etc.
Anybody have experience of being stopped / fined?
On this yearís 500X tour I donít think Iíll bother with any of this rubbish and possibly go Hull Ė Zeebrugge through Belgium and Germany to cross the Alps and avoid France altogether.
Any tips /advice much appreciated.

Offline CB500X

• Forum Help & Support
  • CB500X Pro
Re: FRENCH BIKE LAWS
Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 11:24:40 AM
Thought that one was for french residents or if the helmet was bought in France.

Offline Steve T

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: CB5X,F8GS,600Alp
Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 05:38:44 PM
Ignore the rule - most of the ex-pats that frequent another forum seem to be of the mind that the locals (including themselves) that the feds don't bother enforcing that trivial bit of legislation.

Jut what I've read.

Steve T

:018:
British Born
Rasied in Wales
Living in Scotland
Still British 1st though

Offline rambrose

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: YBR125 & CB500X
Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 07:58:06 PM
*Originally Posted by cbf1000 [+]
When I came to remove them it resulted in chunks of the top layer of the helmet ripping off which ruined my favourite Nolan.
Don't put stickers on my lid for this very reason. UK (and I would say throughout the EU) sell only helmets with the ECE 22.05 certification. You won't have an issue using these.

Same questions for the French law regarding bikers to wear CE approved armoured gloves at all times.
Don't worry about CE or not . Just not bare hands or the mittens your gran knitted you.

Same questions for the French law regarding having to carry spare bulb set, breathalysers etc etc.
If your CBX is 2017 or younger you'll struggle carrying spare headlight and tail light bulbs being LED!!!
I've got a spare indicator bulb under the set.
Hi-Viz I got one wrapped around a multimeter in a tool tube. Never worn it. Would do if I rode from dusk or if weather was really bad but it hasn't been.
Didn't bother with breathalysers. I'm tea (coffee) total. Disposable ones are dirt cheap and small enough to stash anywhere.

Anybody have experience of being stopped / fined?
No

I would say you're making too much of it. If you want to ride through France then do it. I would say though that my last trip to Belgium was awesome (Routes Des Legendes). Best advice for anywhere, don't ride like a dick (Not saying you do) and if you do have a run in be all sweetness and smiles.

Note you can change the speedo from mph to km\hr very easily. Do this before boarding so its ready to go when you get to the other side.

2017 CB500x ABS. RR Lvl1 forks. Fender extenders. Fr Fender riser. Honda centre stand. Oxford advanced pro touring heated grips. Barkbuster VPS guards. Bar riser. GPS bar. Zumo660. Take2 mirrors. Clip on screen deflector. Carbon light bar & spotlights. RR foot pegs. Rotopax fuel can. Rr led light repeaters. Givi Trekker 46Ltr top box, 33ltr panniers

Offline Swanny

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: 20 500X & CB1300
Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 08:23:47 PM
You don't need a breathalyzer and the hi-viz thing is only if you break down on the side of the road
They've been proven not to make a blind bit of difference to drivers seeing you when you're riding. They just make you look silly   :176:  :164:

You don't see many police about
Life... It's Just a Ride  :305:

Offline Oyley

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: CB500x 2019
Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 08:55:34 PM
I have never seen any definitive proof that hi-vis does not make you more visible...all emergency services use hi-vis and reflective surfaces... Blood bikers use hi-vis and they all have to..and it's not down to just blue lights and sirens .
I use a high vis helmet and a recent addition to our group is always saying that if he sees myself way ahead of him alongside our friend who does not have a hi-vis helmet..just how much more visible than the other rider....it really surprises him.
Indulge me here,why does it make me look silly?

Offline Swanny

• CB500X Master
Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 09:31:01 PM
Each to their own but it's not my cup of tea  :053:

I wear a white helmet and I'm sure that stands out just as much as a hi-viz one. I expect you've encountered the driver at the junction that looks straight at you and still pulls out. IMO hi-viz makes no difference at all. 
I just tried to find the video where they did the test that proved it, nothing to do with visibility and more to do with field of view and blind spots

Offline Oyley

• CB500X Master
Reply #7 on: February 25, 2020, 09:35:05 PM
The pal next to me on the horizon when the pal way back spotted us....wears a white helmet.
Yes. Each to their own but...looking silly comment pushes the boundaries  a bit.
And I would suggest one video is hardly proof...

Offline Swanny

• CB500X Master
Reply #8 on: February 25, 2020, 09:55:02 PM
If you're happy wearing it why would you be upset by someone saying people in hi-viz look silly?  :350:
Maybe I look silly as I wander through life but I care not a jot what anyone else thinks  :153:

Offline Oyley

• CB500X Master
Reply #9 on: February 25, 2020, 10:14:34 PM
Actually,what is more to the point is why you feel the need to make such a comment in the first place...? does it make you feel many or like a tough biker?
Better to just keep thoughts like that to yourselfrather than be provocative,unless of course you really feel the need to appear to be superior...
The fact you feel the need to insult anyone who wears hi-vis is a tad worrying and a real slur on your character..keep it going or just realise it was totally uneccessary,sometimes you have to take a step back and be the bigger man and realise,making that provocative statement was not really...that wise.

victorious-backstage