Author Topic: FRENCH BIKE LAWS  (Read 1709 times)

Offline Swanny

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: 20 500X & CB1300
Re: FRENCH BIKE LAWS
Reply #10 on: February 25, 2020, 11:18:29 PM
Just my opinion that's all.
Sorry that it upset you, nothing personal and I certainly wasn't insulting people for wearing hi-viz

I keep forgetting that in today's society that you're not allowed to have a joke or take the piss   :164:
Sadly those days are gone forever
Life... It's Just a Ride  :305:

Offline MacDoc

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: 2018 CB500x
Reply #11 on: February 26, 2020, 12:20:11 AM
I was on a black bike with a black helmet and all black rain gear on a foggy rainy night and realised I was totally in stealth mode to any driver near me.

Went out and bought a hi_viz rain jacket  - still use it.

On the helmet bit -  I was waiting for a friend who commutes daily 50 km on The James Cook hiway which is busy, twisty and often lots of rain. I was watching and see this bright yellow blob sitting above the traffic.  His helmet was crazy visible above the cars. His wife bought it for him and I was very impressed..

I picked this up and wore it for a few years

and still do in the summer....amazing field of view.

I did get a C-3 in white for cooler riding weather ( the anti-fog is incredible and it's very warm ) and it's quite visible as well. I also think modulated lights are good tho I don't have them.

The other thing with hi-viz gear.....drivers think you're a cop  :121:
Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian Feb to May & Aug-Oct each year
Canada 2018 CB500x 2009 CBF1000 sold 10 Wee ABS  sold 09 Burgman Exec sold  10 NT700v sold
Australia> 04 KLR650 93 ST1100 sold  
Travel photos>
https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries

Online Oyley

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: CB500x 2019
Reply #12 on: February 26, 2020, 12:41:49 AM
I doubt very much that I will be the only member on here that uses some form of hi-vis gear,either clothing,helmet of graphics...
Oh,Steve-T has hi-vis graphics on his front mudguard..does his bike look silly,do you feel the need to post and say so.
Its an entirely personal choice but really,is there a need to say people look silly for making some effort to be more visible?..I think not.
I was stopped many years ago by Bobby and it was dead of the night,I had done nothing wrong but...I was all in dark clothing,helmet and he just gave me and the bike a quick check ..and his final word were 'You don't do yourself any favours riding in all dark gear,and if you want to live long enough to enjoy riding..wear something more visible,why do you think our vehicles are like this' pointing to his vehicle.
And..coming from a bike cop 'if a rider looks like he is making an effort to be safe,he generally is' if he is trying to blend into the background,there is often a reason..go figure.
I'll leave it there.

Online Lancs-lad

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2019 cb500x
Reply #13 on: February 26, 2020, 01:08:33 AM
I must admit my jacket has hi-vis panels on the arms & chest, my C3 Pro is easily seen because of the colour, but that's how I choose to ride, I hope I don't look silly as I'm easily upset, only joking I don't give a FF what's others think, I just feel a tad safer that's all! Anyway I'm off to by a POLITE hi-vis vest off eBay :745:
Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 01:10:08 AM by Lancs-lad
Red Rose Classic MCC

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
Reply #14 on: February 26, 2020, 01:29:56 AM
Getting back to the subject, as I understand it (as Swanny suggests) - the hi-vis bib is only for roadside emergencies, not for general riding - unless you want to of course.

Similarly, the [original] reflective panel on your helmet rule was relaxed to a far smaller section of reflective material (approx 6 square inches as I recall) which could be viewed from the rear - and most all-weather/textile jackets tend to have that much reflective tape/panels on them anyway these days, so actual stickers on your helmet are not essential if you are wearing a proper motorcycle jacket with reflective seams etc.

Spare bulbs will fit under your seat and are always a good idea to carry anyway (and on a 2016-bike not necessary anyway), and those pocket breathalyzer things you can pick up on the ferry if you wish - not that I've ever been stopped and/or asked for one on either two or four wheels in France and Spain on any number of occasions in recent years.

Jx

It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Online Oyley

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: CB500x 2019
Reply #15 on: February 26, 2020, 01:35:10 AM
Spare glasses or contact lenses ? I presume they are still mandatory...common sense really.

Offline UnmzldOx

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
Reply #16 on: February 26, 2020, 02:17:21 AM
By now we're all accustomed to the low opinion others might have of us as riders. I take the "silly" comment as a term of endearment. We all look silly in our gear. We are children running around in the woods pretending to be astronauts. Gosh, riding is fun.

Hi Viz works. I can see a cyclist much sooner if he has a full shirt of it. I wear it.

Offline Mister Paul

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
Reply #17 on: February 26, 2020, 07:56:09 AM
*Originally Posted by UnmzldOx [+]
By now we're all accustomed to the low opinion others might have of us as riders. I take the "silly" comment as a term of endearment. We all look silly in our gear. We are children running around in the woods pretending to be astronauts. Gosh, riding is fun.

Hi Viz works. I can see a cyclist much sooner if he has a full shirt of it. I wear it.

I think one of the arguments against hi-viz is that pressure is put on vulnerable road users to make a driver's job of not running them over more easy, as they don't have to make as much effort to look out for them.

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
Reply #18 on: February 26, 2020, 08:21:58 AM
Oh Swanny, what have you done...... :745:

If it's any consolation, I don't wear Hi-Viz stuff either!!  :007:
The Story So Far.........
2017-2019: 12000mls recreational use - 89.73mpg UK; 74.72mpg US; 3.15litres/100km

Offline timur

• CB500X Pro
Reply #19 on: February 26, 2020, 08:33:14 AM
Been in France a lot of times with car and never had any problem with spare bulbs or spar glases. Nobody cares about it. The same in Spain - no one worries if you have them. Road police has other priorities unless you draw too much attention.

Ride carefully and everything will be OK  :016:

Regarding hi vis - when I crashed with rain, fog and night the driver who helped me said it was a miracle he saw me in a last moment. I love black colour but this night my black gear almost killed me. I was lying down on the road unable to move and awaiting a car hitting me - quite unpleasant situation. Maybe fosfourescente green is too much but there is a lot of colours to choose.