Author Topic: HondaCare Assistance  (Read 426 times)

Offline cbf1000

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
HondaCare Assistance
on: February 28, 2020, 06:01:41 PM
Has anybody any experience of using the free HondaCare Assistance service in Europe?  Availability, response time, service etc?  Any charges?

Offline rambrose

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: YBR125 & CB500X
Re: HondaCare Assistance
Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 08:21:26 PM
I downloaded the app but never needed it. I'm a little surprised they didn't try to get me to renew it.
You are extremely unlikely to have a mechanical breakdown. Puncture maybe but I wouldn't call the breakdown for that. You'll wait hours for something you can fix in 5 minutes. Carry a kit(sticky string) and a pump.

Check your bike over before you go and you'll be fine. Treat breakdown recovery as a last resort.
There are those that travel without knowing a ratchet from a spanner and manage just fine.
Me, I do my own maintenance and carry some extra tools

2017 CB500x ABS. RR Lvl1 forks. Fender extenders. Fr Fender riser. Honda centre stand. Oxford advanced pro touring heated grips. Barkbuster VPS guards. Bar riser. GPS bar. Zumo660. Take2 mirrors. Clip on screen deflector. Carbon light bar & spotlights. RR foot pegs. Rotopax fuel can. Rr led light repeaters. Givi Trekker 46Ltr top box, 33ltr panniers

Offline cbf1000

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 09:47:05 AM
Thanks rambrose - extremely useful info re toolkit etc.  Given it's a new Honda reliability shouldn't be an issue.  Probably why the service is free with new bikes.  Do you take out European recovery  e.g. AA, RAC?  I took out RAC last time as it was a good buy with my Bennetts insurance.

Offline Oyley

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: CB500x 2019
Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 10:07:20 AM
Rambrose....
Does all that fit under your seat?

Offline rambrose

• CB500X Pro
Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 10:40:56 AM
*Originally Posted by cbf1000 [+]
Do you take out European recovery  e.g. AA, RAC?  I took out RAC last time as it was a good buy with my Bennetts insurance.
I tend to find that  combined insurance and recovery is cheaper than separate. I didn't bother with recovery for my current policy. Mine is a 2017 CBX and the Honda recovery ran out just before xmas.
I'll renew the insurance before my Norway trip and (as long as Brexit hasn't made it ridiculous) I'll include European recovery.
Not with the CBX but I have had cause to call recovery twice in 30 years. Exhaust fell off my car and they needed more info on my location before sending someone out. On road A between X and Y wasn't good enough! I found some electrical wire and tied it up to get me home.

Second was I burnt my clutch out on my YBR125 riding along Chesil beach. Got, with help,  to a beach carpark. Had postcode, gps co-ordinates. The carpark was at the end of the road but it still took Carol Nash 7 hours to get to me! Apparently I wasn't there for the first one. Second didn't bother and the third turned up with no ramp. Good job it was only a 125. So I haven't really had a good experience.

I'd be surprised if any could fix you roadside.

Everything fits under the seat except
Multimeter and hi viz - in a tool tube
Pump - top box
Glasses and chain lube (for long trips) in tank bag
2017 CB500x ABS. RR Lvl1 forks. Fender extenders. Fr Fender riser. Honda centre stand. Oxford advanced pro touring heated grips. Barkbuster VPS guards. Bar riser. GPS bar. Zumo660. Take2 mirrors. Clip on screen deflector. Carbon light bar & spotlights. RR foot pegs. Rotopax fuel can. Rr led light repeaters. Givi Trekker 46Ltr top box, 33ltr panniers

Offline racer

• CB500X Member
Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 05:57:10 PM
Rambrose, you can save some room by ditching the puncture string tool and reamer tool and replacing it with an all in one tool that is a combination insertion tool with the reamer portion further up on the shaft.  Saves some room under the seat.  Racer

Offline rambrose

• CB500X Pro
Reply #6 on: February 29, 2020, 08:06:54 PM
*Originally Posted by racer [+]
Rambrose, you can save some room by ditching the puncture string tool and reamer tool and replacing it with an all in one tool that is a combination insertion tool with the reamer portion further up on the shaft.  Saves some room under the seat.  Racer
I've cut down the handles
I found these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Bike-Auto-Tubeless-Tire-Tyre-Needle-Tool-Sets-Puncture-Plug-Repair-Tool-L-6/183991545713?hash=item2ad6c02f71:g:XeUAAOSw~1xdoLSV
Not sure that grub screw is up to the job.

victorious-backstage