Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Wanabee - New member...not a rider yet  (Read 489 times)

Offline psherman

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: san diego
Wanabee - New member...not a rider yet
« on: March 27, 2020, 05:03:26 AM »
So...I'm thinking of getting a motorcycle. 75% road - 25% offroad. I never ridden on the road only offroad on a friends 125s back in junior high...I'm in my 50s now.

I've always wanted a duel sport, but they seemed too big or under powered for the road. That leads to my other problem, I'm short 5ft 4in.

Will the 2019 CB500x be too tall for me? especially being a beginner?

Other bikes I'm researching are:
- BMW G310GS (locally 2019 are 4k)
- RE Himalayan. (been following  itchy boots)

From what I can tell, the major difference btw the 2018 and 2019 is 19in front tire, LED lights, slipper clutch and some engine tweeks. From reviews, the slipper clutch is something I would like as a newbie, but I don't know. I'm thinking the additional 2in on the 2019 is probably a deal breaker.

I like the reliability of the Honda and road performance, but the price of the BMW and RE are attractive too.

I'd appreciate any advice or experience if you are short (5'4") and ride the 2018 or 2019 CB500x

Also, is this a good helmet: Scorpion EXO-AT950

« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 05:05:59 AM by psherman »

Offline Ceddy17

• CB500X Pro
  • Ed
    • View Profile
Re: Wanabee - New member...not a rider yet
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 08:29:08 AM »
Welcome to the forum and greetings from Flanders..

IMHO: for me the Himalayan is a no no. It is not really a road bike, nor an offroad bike.
I follow Ichy Boots too. That bike will get you everywhere indeed, but I think not in a modern way.
Comparison with the Honda is impossible, both bikes are sooo far apart.
The BMW might be a good alternative choice, but I think one might soon encounter the limitations of it.
It is a singel cylinder engine with less cc. You talk about "underpowered" in your post. Well, I think both bikes are.

I think you would be better off with the Honda. It is a really versatile bike, and a lot of people love it.
I don't think you ever will regret buying one. And if it would, such a bike would sell very easily.

I can only give you my humble advice:
 * try to figure out why you want a bike and what you want to do with it...
 * go and testride all the bikes you are interested in...
 * let it cool for a couple of days and think again.

Btw: I use a Scorpion Exo 920. Not a very good but also not a very bad helmet.
Works for me and was relatively affordable for my budget.

Happy trails ( and go for the CB....  )
Ed.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 08:30:34 AM by Ceddy17 »
... don't concentrate on the finger ...  Stay Safe  ...

Offline VA-CB500X

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 11:31:30 AM »
Welcome to the forum. 

These are all good candidates that you are considering. Ive looked at all of them and understand why you have bundled them together.  But there are definitely differences between them, and Ceddy17 did a good job on pointing out the important ones.  Here are some other observations to consider:

- Your actual height is not as important as your inseam length.  If you have a 31 inseam, you can ride any of these.  If a 28 inseam or less, you likely will need to lower the CB or GS.

- The spec seat height of the 2019/20 CB500X is almost an inch taller than the prior version (-2018).  But the seat is much narrower, so reach is identical. (I have personally sat on a 2018 and 2019 that were side by side, and confirmed this.) 

-  The G310GS has the highest seat height of the group, by far.  But like the CB500X, it can be lowered somewhat.

- The Himalayan has the lowest seat height, but I dont know whether it can be lowered any further.

Those are just some points to consider. 

Which motorcycle training course are you signed up for?  Regardless whether it is the MSF or other, my suggestion is to complete the course before making any purchase decisions. 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 11:34:14 AM by VA-CB500X »

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 12:28:59 PM »
Royal Enfield and BMW are Indian built singles - I've owned an Indian built Enfield 500 and would worry about build quality.

Honda is a much smoother twin, always better in my book, and more powerful too, but don't be fooled, it's built in Thailand not Japan.  Then again the Triumph Speed Twins are built there too, and neither have a reputation for poor build quality.

Basically - HONDA!!   :152:
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 12:29:44 PM by AJC500 »
The Story So Far.........
2017-2019: 12000mls recreational use - 89.73mpg UK; 74.72mpg US; 3.15litres/100km

Online ewryly

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
  • City / Town: West Hartford
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 12:29:11 PM »
 :400:  Given that this is your first road bike and first bike of any sort for a long time, I would definitely treat it as by no means your last bike and get one you can get your feet on the ground.  If you can manage that with the Honda lowered, then I think you will be thrilled with it, but there is a lot to learn up front, and I think feeling comfortable on the bike is more important than the bike's other features.  And once you master that, then you'll know better what you want in a bike.

Offline catstevecam

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: Northumberland
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2020, 04:07:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by ewryly [+]
:400:  Given that this is your first road bike and first bike of any sort for a long time, I would definitely treat it as by no means your last bike and get one you can get your feet on the ground.  If you can manage that with the Honda lowered, then I think you will be thrilled with it, but there is a lot to learn up front, and I think feeling comfortable on the bike is more important than the bike's other features.  And once you master that, then you'll know better what you want in a bike.
:400: and try not to worry about details - get some miles under your belt and work out what is important to you on a practical level  :152:

Offline psherman

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: san diego
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 04:32:43 PM »
Thanks everyone for all the replies.

I've read (on here) that lowering is a bad thing. My question is 'how' bad. Is it a safety issue or just offroad performance? Also, is this a DIYer thing? I'm pretty handy...I've managed to keep my 4Runner going 490+k with a lot of self repairs (timing belt, wheelbearings, suspension mods etc)

The versatility of adv bikes is what got me interested in getting a motorcycle. Kinda the same reason I bought the 4Runner ( I did back road trails in Death Valley with my girls for 10yrs) I'm not really interested in other types of bikes.
Once the quarantine is over I'll try a few. My guess is the sales person will tell me they fit perfect =)

I've been watching YT reviews and joining bike forums (this is the 1st =)  to do research. Do these next steps sound right?

Get Loan
Get Insurance Quote
Take written motorcycle test (get permit?)
Take MSC
Try bikes for fit
Get Gear
Get bike =)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 04:47:47 PM by psherman »

Offline Swanny

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X & CB1300
  • City / Town: Nr Bath
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 06:40:33 PM »
Hello &  :400:
Life... It's Just a Ride  :305:

Offline Dreiundfnfzig

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Barcelona
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2020, 06:55:48 PM »
Also in the 50s eh ?
Willkommen  :400:

Offline VA-CB500X

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2020, 08:35:49 PM »
There is no problem moderately lowering a CB500X or a G310GS.  You lose a small amount of ground clearance, but these are not true dirt bikes to begin with. 

*Originally Posted by psherman [+]
....Do these next steps sound right?

Get Loan
Get Insurance Quote
Take written motorcycle test (get permit?)
Take MSC
Try bikes for fit
Get Gear
Get bike =)

I would urge you to take the Motorcycle Safety Course first.  Your experience riding dirt bikes as a teenager really does not apply - - you are essentially a complete novice.  Getting some instruction and advice from experienced riders, before getting too far down the purchase path, will help you to make a better decision.

And in many states, taking and passing the course allows you to skip the separate written exam at the motor vehicle department.

Also, I would never recommend someone buy a brand new bike as their first bike, especially if they need to take out a loan to make the purchase.  A used bike as a starter/learner bike is a much better way to get started - - they can be had cheap.

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage