Author Topic: Wiring Diagram and Instructions?  (Read 3168 times)

Offline Ruggybuggy

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
Re: Wiring Diagram and Instructions?
Reply #70 on: June 10, 2020, 02:44:21 PM
I'm not sure if Canada Post is prioritizing mail sent within Canada.  I ordered a new helmet that came in less than three business days and was over two thousand miles away.  I think the problem may be with Canada Customs.

Offline SilverCycle

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: CB500X 17 Red
Reply #71 on: June 28, 2020, 08:28:46 PM
I'd like to ask a variation on the original posting? I too am wondering about adding some LED lights to my 2017 X (so LED lights apart from indicators). I'd like some details about the Options Plug High Beam line?

I get the bit above about the options plugs, I see the explanation that the switched line is via a RELAY and a 10A fuse. I didn't see similar details about the high beam options plug output. What exactly is it?

Unfortunately my (Haynes) wiring diagram is for the pre-LED models.

For LED models Honda's original main beam only needs about 15W or something (I think), so there may not be much spare current capacity from this line. What is the line's drive capacity? Does it also come from a relay (a real electromechanical one), or does it come from something solid state?

Indeed, is this line actually also the drive for the LED Main Beam, or is it separate and turned on at the same time?

I'm guessing that additional lights controlled by the OP High Beam, and taking 5W, 10W or more probably need to be driven via a relay or solid state equivalent. But I don't have any solid facts!

Offline Ruggybuggy

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #72 on: June 29, 2020, 05:15:00 AM
Under the right side cowl there is a three wire connector.  Green is the ground, blue is the high beam power and violet is the 12V power source fused for 10A.  The green and blue wires will go to the coil part of the relay.  The violet wire will go to the switched part of the relay and the other terminal on the switched part of the relay will go to your led aux lights.  With is wired in this fashion your led aux lights will only come on when the high beams are on.

Disregard the diagram title, not my source.  You will be using terminal 87 so that the aux led lights come on with the high beams.

As in the diagram above your blue wire from the connector will go to 86 terminal.  The green wire from the connector will go to 85 terminal.  The violet wire from your connector will go to 30 terminal and you will run a wire from 87 terminal to your led aux lights.  The ground side from your led aux lights will be grounded or you can simply run it back to the relay and ground it to 85 terminal.
Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 05:26:56 AM by Ruggybuggy

Offline SilverCycle

• CB500X Pro
Reply #73 on: June 29, 2020, 09:30:34 AM
Thanks, that's very clear.

TBH I was toying with the idea of doing the "relay" as a solid state jobbie, either COTS solid state relay or making a little MOSFET circuit (for the first time in decades, gulp!).

Driving a relay coil (as previous post) and driving a solid state jobbie have a bit different implications on the driving circuit (the high beam OP). Thus my desire to understand what exactly what that is.

However, as I cogitate on it, I am finding the solid state (own circuit, not COTS), approach might be a bit awkward to package. I'll think some more...

Offline Ruggybuggy

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #74 on: June 29, 2020, 02:12:36 PM
Something like this?

Offline SilverCycle

• CB500X Pro
Reply #75 on: June 29, 2020, 02:49:24 PM
Yes, that sort of thing.

Offline DHCBX

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: CB500X 20MY
Reply #76 on: June 29, 2020, 10:43:03 PM
OK, Sorry!  :431: to crash this thread....

Bit confused here - so if i bought Fog Lights with 'Angel Eyes'

Link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07VBC5BKL/?coliid=I17V4W9LOCT8IW&colid=2YYSRBMP5F48S&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I could wire these with a 5 Pin Relay?

Connecting the Angel eye circuit to pin 87 and Fog circuit to pin 87A

Then i can use either the main beam power or an additional light switch to power the trigger on Pin 86 ?

it won't matter if you have TWO 12V sources going into Pin 86????

Would like the option to power the fogs independently from Main Beam for riding off road or on badly lit roads where main beam isn't

PLEASE SAVE MY SANITY - DOES THIS MAKE SENSE??? its been 30 years plus since i did my control technology O Level and can't remember this stuff!

Offline Ruggybuggy

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #77 on: June 29, 2020, 11:59:32 PM
If you use two power sources on 86 you can back feed power into the other circuit.  You could solve this by using diodes on each of the power sources to prevent the back feed.

Offline Oyley

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: CB500x 2019
Reply #78 on: June 30, 2020, 12:09:18 AM
PM sent..re switch

Offline SilverCycle

• CB500X Pro
Reply #79 on: June 30, 2020, 09:58:32 AM
"Would like the option to power the fogs independently from Main Beam for riding off road or on badly lit roads where main beam isn't"

I'll show my ignorance here, having zero offroad experience at night (newbie and in Sunny Sussex!)... I guess fogs (wide, low, but short beam) might be useful offroad, really off road, as you corkscrew about. Maybe even an unlit car park. But on a badly lit ROAD surely you'll be going too fast (20mph+) to be able to effectively use a fog light? Might show up a moose I suppose, albeit not here in Sussex (belay that, I brushed a deer here once).

And, as per earlier, I'd query what someone is selling if it's described, as often on eBay, as covering all bases: spot, fog, headlight, DRL, "flood".

Some suppliers are clearer, but it tends to be the pricey ones: Denali, SW Motech... OTOH for those prices you could buy 3xdiverse China-direct and choose the beam pattern you like most?

Regarding the relay, other posters, is there a common name or whatever for that specific pattern of relay? I only know what is deducable from the (admirably clear) explanation of how to use it, wherein one terminal is unused.

Cor, that reads pompous, sorry!